Blue Cat's Re-Head Plug-In For Headphones Released!

Official support for: bluecataudio.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Re-Head

Is there a list of Headphone presets anywhere ? I realise I can download a demo but as I already have Sonarworks and Canopener, I'm not interested unless my headphones are already supported (Senn HD600) but I couldn't see a list.

Blue Cat Audio wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 6:56 am
hotmitts wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 3:36 am I'm really curious about this plug-in, wondering how it deals with headphone fatigue ?
Because it sounds much less "in your face" and more natural with the plug-in, it definitely helps with ear fatigue.
Thanks, I'll demo it. Really like your re: guitar plug in

This is really, really fascinating. Very interested in giving this a shot and exploring what this can offer. Very nice.
Take care :wink:

Blue Cat Audio wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 6:55 am Yes: both the EQ and IR loader come after the crossfeed. This way you can use stereo impulse responses (for room simulation for example) without damaging the signal.
I have a follow-up question. Does the IR loader come before or after the EQ? Or does it replace the EQ when in use? Intuitively I think the answer would be after, but I'm not sure. Thanks!

rrichard63 wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 1:02 pm I have a follow-up question. Does the IR loader come before or after the EQ? Or does it replace the EQ when in use? Intuitively I think the answer would be after, but I'm not sure. Thanks!
It actually does not matter, as they are both linear operations, so they can be processed in whatever order. In the case of this plug-in the IR is indeed processed after the EQ. Both responses are combined (it does not replace the EQ)

I tried matching the EQ curve for my DT1990pro from Sonarworks Reference and Morphit manually, to no success. First the number of filters is a bit low and also it is very hard to do if there is no numerical readout in for the EQ frequencies and gain in Re-Head whatsoever.
I'm still going to buy this when I receive my mail for the customer intro offer. I tried several of those type of plugins (TB Isone, Canopener, Waves Abbey Road thing), but all of them changed the sound too much for my taste. My current setup for Headphones is Sonarworks (for correction curve) into Airwindows Monitoring (with Can A), but I'll change that for Re-Head into Sonwarworks, sounds more like real monitors and less artificial than all the other solutions.

koalaboy wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 7:32 am Is there a list of Headphone presets anywhere ? I realise I can download a demo but as I already have Sonarworks and Canopener, I'm not interested unless my headphones are already supported (Senn HD600) but I couldn't see a list.
You´ll maybe find what you need here: https://zenodo.org/record/2638644. The List is quiet long and I´m happy!

Quote: "The Audio Spatialisation for Headphones Impulse Response Dataset (ASH IR Dataset) is a set of impulse responses that can be used for binaural synthesis of spatial audio systems on headphones. It includes binaural room impulse responses (BRIRs), headphone compensation filters (HpCFs) and configuration files for Equalizer APO. The dataset can be used to create virtual surround sound on headphones by convolving an audio stream with a set of BRIRs.

The dataset contains:

A set of equalised binaural room impulse responses that can be used to simulate a variety of rooms including control rooms, listening rooms, seminar rooms, studios, and more
A set of compensation filters that can be used to equalise a wide range of headphones to the diffuse-field target frequency response
A set of configuration files for Equalizer APO that can be used to simulate common speaker configurations (Stereo, 5.1 surround, 7.1 surround) within the rooms

More information can be found at https://github.com/ShanonPearce/ASH-IR-Dataset"
Last edited by GRUMP on Thu May 14, 2020 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GRUMP wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 6:59 pm You´ll maybe find what you need here: https://zenodo.org/record/2638644. The List is quiet long and I´m happy!
This is awesome - Thanks !

fese wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 6:13 pm I tried matching the EQ curve for my DT1990pro from Sonarworks Reference and Morphit manually, to no success. First the number of filters is a bit low and also it is very hard to do if there is no numerical readout in for the EQ frequencies and gain in Re-Head whatsoever.
I'm still going to buy this when I receive my mail for the customer intro offer. I tried several of those type of plugins (TB Isone, Canopener, Waves Abbey Road thing), but all of them changed the sound too much for my taste. My current setup for Headphones is Sonarworks (for correction curve) into Airwindows Monitoring (with Can A), but I'll change that for Re-Head into Sonwarworks, sounds more like real monitors and less artificial than all the other solutions.
Maybe we'll add more compensation curves in the future!

koalaboy wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 8:55 am
GRUMP wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 6:59 pm You´ll maybe find what you need here: https://zenodo.org/record/2638644. The List is quiet long and I´m happy!
It looks like a nice database, indeed. What is the license for these impulse responses?

For those wondering about the "magic" and the idea behind Re-Head and what it exactly does, here is a new blog post that explains it in details:

The problem with headphones and how to fix it.

Enjoy!

Is there any chance this will be available as a standalone application? I can see using this while listening to music and video applications, not just DAWs.
Last edited by arachnaut on Fri May 15, 2020 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim Hurley - experimental music
Windows 10 Pro (20H2 19042.662); i9-9900K@5.1GHz;
Cakewalk; Adam Audio A8X; Axiom 61

Blue Cat Audio wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 12:45 pm
It looks like a nice database, indeed. What is the license for these impulse responses?
Creative Commons Attribution Non Commercial Share Alike 4.0 International (Box at the right Side of the WS.

Glad to help... but I am not all sure if the Compensation Curves are the right ones... they "equalise a wide range of headphones to the diffuse-field target frequency response".

I´ve quickly read a little bit about it, but the Sources I´ve found were too scientific (for skimming...).

Can anyone help?

Yeah - they didn't seem to act in the same way that the sonarworks profile does.

Return to “Blue Cat Audio”