Routing Challenged: MIDI Generating Plugin With Patchworks In Pro Tools

Official support for: bluecataudio.com
KVRian
662 posts since 15 Oct, 2003 from 'SoCal' California

Post Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:10 pm

I am flummoxed. I believe this can be done, but I haven't been able to figure out how.

To be clear, I am not asking about routing an external MIDI controller to a VSTi hosted in Patchworks Synth AAX.

Specifically, I want to host a MIDI generating VSTi, namely Melodya by MusicDevelopment, in Patchworks and route its MIDI output to Pro Tools for recording MIDI and/ or triggering an AAX synth.

If this is possible, any help or links to tutorials would be appreciated ... Google has not been my friend.
Help! I've fallen up and can't get down!

Win7 x64 Dual Dualcore Xeon 3.0 Ghz 16 GB Ram. Cubase 6, RapidComposer, BIAB, Abelton 6, Acid Pro 6,Roland XV5080 & Super JD, E-Mu CS PX7, Korg Radias R and MI-EX R, ASR-X Turbo, UAD 2 Quads, stuff.

KVRAF
4533 posts since 8 Sep, 2004 from Paris (France)

Post Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:24 am

Have you already checked our MIDI FX plug-ins tutorial for Pro Tools?

Like in many DAWs it is a bit cumbersome, but it is definitely possible. If you have a VST or AU version of the instrument available, it is definitely recommended to use it directly inside PatchWork: routing is much simpler.

KVRian

Topic Starter

Post Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:18 am

Thank you, BCA. No I hadn't found it. I'll give it a study and get back if I need more help.

Win7 x64 Dual Dualcore Xeon 3.0 Ghz 16 GB Ram. Cubase 6, RapidComposer, BIAB, Abelton 6, Acid Pro 6,Roland XV5080 & Super JD, E-Mu CS PX7, Korg Radias R and MI-EX R, ASR-X Turbo, UAD 2 Quads, stuff.

KVRian

Topic Starter

Post Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:55 pm

OK, I've reviewed the link ... but it is still unclear to me. The Alternative 'did you know' at the end regarding Patchwork is the part of interest.

Here is what is unclear from the screen shot.

Is the 'Host' PatchWork Synth hosting the MIDI VSTi or the DAW hosting PatchWork?

The screen shot shows MIDI Input. Does this mean MIDI Input from the plugin inside PatchWork to the DAW or MIDI input from the DAW to the plugin hosted by PatchWork?

Also, the final column shows a check mark besides 'All Channels' but Channel 4 highlighted. What does this mean? Does it mean that the user is about to select Channel 4 instead of 'All Channels' or that with 'All Channels' activated the specific Channel 4 has been selected?

Sorry to be so thick-headed, but I find this confusing.

KVRAF

Post Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:28 am

The idea of the alternative is indeed to host everything inside PatchWork, to make MIDI routing easier: both the MIDI FX and the VSTi are hosted inside PatchWork, which is seen by Pro Tools as a simple Virtual Instrument.

In PatchWork, you can select a subset of MIDI channels that the VSTi will receive, but in general you will not bother with that and simply use all channels everywhere.

KVRian

Topic Starter

Post Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:34 am

Thank you again.

I conclude from this that it will only be possible to present Pro Tools with a stereo audio output from a PatchWork hosted VSTi even if the VSTi is multi-timbral.

Do I understand correctly?

KVRAF

Post Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:23 am

The channels I was referring to are the MIDI channels. When using the instrument version of PatchWork, your Virtual Instruments can use extra audio outputs (up to 16 mono or 8 stereo outs, as shown here). These extra audio channels are seen by Pro Tools as aux channels, just like with any AAX instrument.

Our friends at Pro Tools Expert have an old tutorial about this topic (with virtual drums, but it works for any kind of instrument):
https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/home-p ... o-tools-11

KVRian

Topic Starter

Post Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:15 am

Thanks so much!

Return to “Blue Cat Audio”