Help with Patchwork and Ableton Live (v10)

Official support for: bluecataudio.com
KVRist
135 posts since 1 Sep, 2006

Post Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:06 pm

I feel this is about to be a dumb question, but I can't figure this out.

I am in Ableton v10, and my main use case for Patchwork is to use multi-out MIDI, like ChordPotion. I play something on my MIDI keyboard, it goes through Chord Potion or other MIDI generators, and into different instruments on different chains. I've seen lots of videos with InstaComposer where this is done, but it's accomplished by generating MIDI within InstaComposer and pressing a play button in InstaComposer. I want to generate the MIDI on my keyboard. But I can't figure out how to get that MIDI into Patchwork from my MIDI keyboard.

Even simpler -- how do I play any VST synth within Patchwork loaded as a VST within Ableton Live using my keyboard? Can it be done?

Thanks!

KVRAF
4779 posts since 8 Sep, 2004 from Paris (France)

Post Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:27 am

Hi,

Sure it can be done! You simply need to use the virtual instrument version of PatchWork (aka " PatchWork Synth"), like you would do with any virtual instrument in Live, then load your instrument inside PatchWork.

Once this is properly setup and you can play the instrument, just add your MIDI effect in between (inside PatchWork), and modify the MIDI routing so that the instrument(s) do not get the MIDI from the host but from the output of the MIDI effect (using one of the ports with letter). There are a couple of tutorials about MIDI routing in PatchWork that should help.

Return to “Blue Cat Audio”