Fast repeated notes in ManyBass - Tutorial now available

Official support for: manytone.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Thanks for the update news Paul, I hope Greg can do the slide tut too.

:)
Ashley Smith
CEO - MIX IT IN THE BOX
www.mixititb.com | www.seattleunderground.co.uk
Sound Engineer/Producer/Musician/Audio and Media Content Creator

The slide tutorial should be simple since the concept is very related to the hammer-on/pull-off technique.

In terms of repeated notes, I'll probably have to do a separate tutorial (or maybe just a separate section of the tutorial) for repeated picked notes as opposed to the fingered soundsets.

Sounds good Gregjazz. :)
I'm really looking forward to the tutorial(s).

@Gregjazz
Do you have an ETA for the tutorial?

Isn't a solution to this to just have one downpick sample and one up-pick sample for each note mapped on a different part of the keyboard so you can just alternate between the two?

PaulG wrote:Isn't a solution to this to just have one downpick sample and one up-pick sample for each note mapped on a different part of the keyboard so you can just alternate between the two?
That is one solution... But I (almost) always use a bass played with the fingers so that won't work for me, unfortunately. :(

Yeah, but one sample of each finger would, right? You'd just need the first and second fingers to start some kind of anti-machine gunning effect. I'm not saying this is the holy grail, just one potential possibility to make it more realistic sounding.

One thing that occured to me, too, is why machine gunning actually happens in the first place. Technically nothing else happens when you pick (or finger), so maybe cutting the front of the sample just a notch would help to compensate. It'd probably take two samples - one for the initial pick, then one with less attack for repetitive notes.

Also, you'd be surprised how some of this stuff is actually hidden in a mix...

Yes, you're absolutely right PaulG. As far as I know ManyBass does not have index/middle finger samples, right? And at a tempo around 120 BPM the staccato samples are too short to use. We'll see what Gregjazz can come up with in his upcoming tutorials. ;)

Hey, Paul and Greg,

I think there is a Feature Request here for MB 2.0 (or just a free update <wink, wink>) to include alternate picked/fingered samples mapped higher octaves up the MIDI scale.

Which tutorial would you be interested in first, the picked repetition one or the fingered?

BaldByChoice started the thread and I think he wants the fingered one first ;-)

Yes, the fingered tutorial first please. :)

How is the tutorial coming along?

BaldByChoice wrote:How is the tutorial coming along?
Writing the tutorial up right now, actually. I've also completed the MIDI files to accompany the tutorial.

Awesome! Can't wait! :)

Return to “Manytone Music”