Waves Ovox - what do you think of it?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

nonstatic wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:37 am Currently around $38 with the new 40% promo at various retailers
Tried a few retailers with Ovox at around $63 but would work with
the code "CREATIVE40"

Even Waves.com rejected CREATIVE40.

Chipi wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:26 pm
Ah_Dziz wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:41 pm Anybody else unable to run the new version on windows 7? I got ovox to run so then I updated my whole Diamond bundle too and now it's just not showing up in hosts (vst 2 and vst 3). also the standalone crashed on start.
I am aware it is not officially supported. Just figured I'd ask.

Its NOT WIN7 compatible...sorry (upgrade for free to Windows 10 keeping all your software !! )
I am aware. Yet it is now working just fine. I’ll get around to updating when I don’t have so much work to do.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

Finally bought it. I’m obsessed. Instant magic. The best vocoder I’ve ever owned. Does so much more than that as well. I really appreciated the presets they have released for it too. Has helped me dive into the UI and learn more how to program and tweak it. Also pretty low latency when I tried tracking vocals during recording. Great tool to own. :tu:

Ploki wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:30 pm
simon.a.billington wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:44 am Yeah, I’m feeling it there too.

Although, concerning the Ovox vs VocalSynth I do see a lot of overlap, but there are differences as well. I don’t think it’s either/or, I think they can compliment each other quite nicely. Providing you have room in the budget for it.
yeah, especially since MIDI Out functionality i changed my position a little
I just discovered "sidechain mode" in vocalsynth (i dont know how i missed this) Where you can use any audio signal as a vocoder for the vocals. very neat trick.

As for sound quality, i'd say they're there there. I don't see Ovox being any smoother sounding than VocalSynth.
Ovox imo seems a better "performance" tool because you can do more stuff easier/quicker since it includes LFOs and arp, but vocalsynth can be tweaked deeper
Quality is always a trade off when something is designed for live use. Having said that, these tools would be getting used all the time for mainstream commercial productions... if it's good enough for them.

Then there are those who are just going to bit crush it later, making quality kind of redundant. Admittedly, though, that's not everyone.

Did somebody experiment with the midi out function? I tried singing a few lines, and had Ovox translating them into Midi data, which wasn´t impressive at all. I´ve tried to tweak the settings but can´t get to find a way of making it do things more accurately. Perhaps it´ll help to use an autotune plugin that works really well and put it before obox in the effect chain?
Best Regards

Roman Empire

Kalamata Kid wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:10 pm
nonstatic wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:37 am Currently around $38 with the new 40% promo at various retailers
the code "CREATIVE40"

OVox isnt part of that sale. There is a list of stuff that the coupon code applies to.

rezoneight wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 3:59 pm
Kalamata Kid wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:10 pm
the code "CREATIVE40"

OVox isnt part of that sale. There is a list of stuff that the coupon code applies to.
Although I was excited to find that I could both upgrade to their instruments bundle, Inspire, and the Abbey Road Collection with that voucher.

The sad thing is I might not have the funding for it over the next few weeks. :(

Question: Does OVox work on vocal samples?

For example, I load up Kontakt. I load it with a vocal phrase. I put Ovox in the FX chain. Will playing Kontakt affect OVox the same was as singing into a mic?

I hope Ovox will be $29 on Black Friday, which is six months away.

wagtunes wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 1:02 pm Question: Does OVox work on vocal samples?

For example, I load up Kontakt. I load it with a vocal phrase. I put Ovox in the FX chain. Will playing Kontakt affect OVox the same was as singing into a mic?
i think so, because the source is a voice. an a vocal sample is not different from your own recorded vocal. both wav's.. PCM...

EDIT: i think Ovox is for monophonic, i.e. one voice. but any source you can try.

WasteLand wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 3:29 pm
wagtunes wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 1:02 pm Question: Does OVox work on vocal samples?

i think so, because the source is a voice. an a vocal sample is not different from your own recorded vocal. both wav's.. PCM...

EDIT: i think Ovox is for monophonic, i.e. one voice. but any source you can try.
Thanks. Appreciate the response.

Yeah that would make sense. I think the main thing would Ben to set the sidechain input as “track” and it’s synth as internal.

It may be monophonic, I’m not sure, but I did get the impression you can play polyphonic voices using the internal synth, with the sidechain “shaping” it. I think you’ll have to experiment with this to find out for sure.

I see Ovox is going for $39 dollars at the moment. I already have and enjoy NI The Mouth which seems in the same ballpark. Does anyone have both these plugins to compare?

Return to “Effects”