The best Impulse Response [IR] sites

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

audiothing wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:49 am We've released a free impulse response bank, Vintage Mics.
It features 40 impulse responses of vintage microphones from 20 manufactures. Mostly ribbon microphones from the 30s to the 70s. Courtesy of the Microphone Impulse Response Project.

The bank was made for our convolution plugin Fog Convolver, but you can use the WAVs in any other convolution plugin.
Ah, wonderful !
Thanks a lot for the information. Really very appreciated ! :tu:

I was, and still am, interested in yoru Fog convolution reverb. But couldn't make up my mind since there where other nice offers for other comvolution reverbs at the same time. Including Waves IR 1 (was / is $29). They included library is somewhat larger then the one for Fog Convolution. But their GUI is not as nice as the one from AudioThing.

However the Fog convolution reverb is still on my wishlist :-)

Aloysius wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:30 am You know the way The Kinks used a loudspeaker slashed with a razor blade to get their 'you really got me' guitar tone? Has anybody ever made impulse responses like that?
Not that I'd know of any - but it wouldn't make much sense as the desired effect, namely adding a kind of weird distortion, is a dynamic thing. And IRs can't capture dynamic effects.
There are 3 kinds of people:
Those who can do maths and those who can't.

Pity. It's a great sound.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Dr Bonkers IR Files Pack Tribute to Hiwatt® 4X12 SE4123 ™ Cab with Eminence® Fane® Speakers

Releasing now is Dr Bonkers presents the Dr Bonkers Guitar Cab-Oddities™ Volume 11: BIGW 4X12 Guitar Cab IR files based upon a 1972 Hiwatt® 4X12 SE4123 ™ 100w Cab with Hiwatt® Fane® and Eminence® manufactured for Sound City® speakers.

As usual there are sound clips and pictures on my site. Click on the pull down menus and pop out tabs (words with a grey background) for lots of info including history and famous players who used such a cab. If English is not your first language, click on the translate button at the top of my site for many language options.

https://www.drbonkerssoundlab.com/produ ... ollection/

How does one use mics impulses responses?

For speakers cabs i/r I use le cab but for mics?

How can I simulate a celestion speaker recorded with a Coles 4038 for instance? Is that even possible?

badgrplayer wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:07 pm How does one use mics impulses responses?

For speakers cabs i/r I use le cab but for mics?

How can I simulate a celestion speaker recorded with a Coles 4038 for instance? Is that even possible?
As far as the IR loader required goes, anything should do.

Apart from that, those mic IRs are rather a sort of unpredictable thing perhaps giving you a nice additional coloration - or not.

Lets say you have a Celestion cab IR already. How is that recorded? Right, with a mic of some sorts. And the mic used already added its sonic signature to the IR. There's also no way to get rid of it. So, with a mic IR, you would only add a second mic flavour and it would never ever sound like a Celestion recorded with a Coles mic.
However, I fooled around with some mic IRs and found a few them to be adding "something" that I could not have added otherwise. Whether that's really necessary or imrpoving anything, no idea yet.

Sascha Franck wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:47 am Lets say you have a Celestion cab IR already. How is that recorded? Right, with a mic of some sorts.
But where? How?

Let's say I plug my guitar on computer like that :

Guitar --> (jack plugged into) --> external soundcard --> (usb plugged into) --> computer --> (asio4all driver route the audio data to) --> vsthost --> (input engine to) -->amp sim plugin --> (connected to) --> Poulin lecab plugin with celestion I/R --> (output engine to) --> computer audio soundcard --> speakers.

How can I replace this :

Poulin lecab plugin with celestion I/R --> (output engine to) --> computer audio soundcard --> speakers.

by this :

Poulin lecab plugin with celestion I/R --> (captured by) --> Coles 4038 mic --> (output engine to) --> computer audio soundcard --> speakers.

?

Is that even possible?

You could look at Kushview Element or another plugin host that lets you easily define chains of plugins.

You could simply add another instance of LeCab behind the first one and load the mic IR there. But as said, it will not sound like a Celestion cab miked up with that Coles mic.

Sascha Franck wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:52 pm You could simply add another instance of LeCab behind the first one and load the mic IR there. But as said, it will not sound like a Celestion cab miked up with that Coles mic.
I'll try that, thanks.

I am looking for impulse response which would make only notes frequencies response. By notes I mean C, C#, D, D# etc.
I tried to make it myself but could not make it proper. The amplitude of my result is very inconsistent.
Result of this IR is quite interesting. Try it on something very digital or thin. The "laser" effect is not what I am talking about. Try to slowly pitch sweep a sine wave and you will see/hear it sounds louder on the notes frequencies. Means that it responds to note frequencies more than anything between.
So I wish to find such thing with proper consistent result. Google did not helped.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Subscribe me. I need folowers.
SoundCloud / Youtube / some music

arseniy2 wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:34 am I am looking for impulse response which would make only notes frequencies response. By notes I mean C, C#, D, D# etc.
I tried to make it myself but could not make it proper. The amplitude of my result is very inconsistent.
Result of this IR is quite interesting. Try it on something very digital or thin. The "laser" effect is not what I am talking about. Try to slowly pitch sweep a sine wave and you will see/hear it sounds louder on the notes frequencies. Means that it responds to note frequencies more than anything between.
So I wish to find such thing with proper consistent result. Google did not helped.
Why don't you just record a long note with any synth, render it to wave and slap it into your IR loader of choice? Works a treat for me (and you can do very interesting things with that technique).

Last edited by The Noodlist on Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Is materialism devouring your musical output? :ud:

Sascha Franck wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:17 pm
arseniy2 wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:34 am I am looking for impulse response which would make only notes frequencies response. By notes I mean C, C#, D, D# etc.
Why don't you just record a long note with any synth, render it to wave and slap it into your IR loader of choice? Works a treat for me (and you can do very interesting things with that technique).
I am not sure what do you mean. If it's like a saw wave or a single note of a synth then this is not what I said. Because saw wave or a single note is not corresponding to notes frequencies. It is corresponding to harmonics of a note. I need frequencies of all of the notes "C, C#, D, D# etc.", not harmonics of a note. Google for - notes frequency chart - this is those frequencies response I am talking about.
Subscribe me. I need folowers.
SoundCloud / Youtube / some music

arseniy2 wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:07 pm
Sascha Franck wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:17 pm
I am not sure what do you mean. If it's like a saw wave or a single note of a synth then this is not what I said. Because saw wave or a single note is not corresponding to notes frequencies. It is corresponding to harmonics of a note. I need frequencies of all of the notes "C, C#, D, D# etc.", not harmonics of a note. Google for - notes frequency chart - this is those frequencies response I am talking about.
wouldn't that just be a stack of sines 65.41Hz, 69.3Hz and so on? That then becomes your IR

The amplitude will be inconsistent because the signal stack is a bunch of sines which is a complex signal with lots of beat frequencies and the amplitude all over the place. You could see that easily enough as a wveform in your DAW If you want a sustained effect you will have to do them as individual sine IRs and then mix the result
A stack of tuned comb filters might be the way to do it - chromatic resonators
what you don't know only makes you stronger

Return to “Effects”