otiumFX Sonitex STX-1260 Released!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'd be curious to know what the "subset" sampler presets are supposed to represent. I'm sure they are modeled after certain samplers.

Also, when testing this plug I found that it's important to have your source audio at max volume into the effect, and trim after processing.

The price is somewhat high, IMO, but I think I'll end up purchasing.

40000 is the max sampling rate on both my S900 and EMAX I. 26400 is the max sampling rate on the SP 1200 (I think). And 27500 is one of the sampling rates selectable on the EMAX.

I think those are some good hints, but I'd like to know as well.

(by the way, the S900 sampling rate is continuously variable from 3000-40000 Hz. Does Sonitus have a continuously variable sample rate?, or is it limited to those rates displayed on the GUI?)

jones-y wrote:
bduffy wrote:Hmmm, well, this is getting interesting...I fully understand and appreciate what goes into the sound of the older recordings, and if I had tons of time I could explore and maybe create some reasonable facsimiles of it, but if someone encapsulated that into a plugin, then hell, sounds great! I've done cheats in mixes that get loops sounding "older", but was just looking forward to an easier way. If that's not what this is, then it's not for me, probably. No biggy. :D
When I shoot for 70's sounding drums, I:

1. compress with an analog style compressor (PSP VW),
2. eq with an analog style EQ (Hydratone or Valvetone, depending),
3. add a little room reverb,
4. run it thru iZotope's Vinyl (with no added clicks n pops tho),
5. overlay some vinyl noise samples,
6. sample it into my EMAX and then
7. record it back into my DAW.

So for me, this plug may possibly eliminate steps 4-7. I'm just saying I don't think its gonna be a one plug to vinyl sample thing. And I don't think (unless a dev puts this all into one plug) there ever will be.
Actually, I've been funking around with this, and you can totally make some close approximations of vintage loops with this! Quite enjoyable, nice bit of kit, really. :D

Well, i have tried SOnitex, and i must admitt that it is efficient and the presets are nice too.
in a single plugin, you have a nice amount of sonic possibilities to tweak your sound (but i really don't need "vinyl" or "noise"!). The combination of distortion/resampling/tone gives fine results.

Rune L-H wrote:Hi all,

I am happy to announce that Sonitex STX-1260 is now available for purchase.

More info here: http://www.otiumfx.com/sonitex.php
It is available for VST PC, and costs $49.
Any chance of a special KVR price or discount?
That far I've got quite nice results but I have some many other plugs for disto and other artifacts...

Cheers,

Erik.

A discount on $49?? :o :roll:

Leave it to KVR... can't wait to see the groupbuy suggestions, sooner or later there'll be a separate thread just for that :D
Now available with added Inherently Suspect Justification!

jones-y wrote:by the way, the S900 sampling rate is continuously variable from 3000-40000 Hz. Does Sonitus have a continuously variable sample rate?
yes, from 96Hz to 44100Hz - just to the left of the set sample rate buttons for the common sample rates is the 's.rate' dial. Very very flexible plug-in - I have spent the past few days making drum and e-piano samples with it :love: .

Rik wrote:
Rune L-H wrote:Hi all,

I am happy to announce that Sonitex STX-1260 is now available for purchase.

More info here: http://www.otiumfx.com/sonitex.php
It is available for VST PC, and costs $49.
Any chance of a special KVR price or discount?
That far I've got quite nice results but I have some many other plugs for disto and other artifacts...

Cheers,

Erik.
Sonitex was made because I personally wasn't able to get the sounds and flexibility I was looking for using the existing tools and plug-ins. The price of $49 is an absolute minimum to justify the development time behind Sonitex. As much as I appreciate this community there are no plans for a KVR discount or a groupbuy in the near future. There will however be a bundle with both Compadre Beatpuncher and Sonitex STX-1260 :)

Best regards,
Rune

Rangtangtang wrote:what about cassets - tape noise, wow and flutter, tape type selector, dolby B and C, DBX..... :D
Just as a side note, I would love to see something like this. Especially an emulation of the Dolby circuits.
I try to care and understand.

Marybelle wrote:
Rangtangtang wrote:what about cassets - tape noise, wow and flutter, tape type selector, dolby B and C, DBX..... :D
Just as a side note, I would love to see something like this. Especially an emulation of the Dolby circuits.
Yeah that would be cool! Even 8-track.

The Compadre & Sonitex Bundle is now available :) The price is $69 (30% off).

The direct link is HERE

Best regards,
Rune

Killer price! Man, KVR is a curse upon wallets...

Hi jones-y :)
jones-y wrote:It sounds to me like this plug is intended to take individual tracks (like drumloops, or whatever) and make them sound like you sampled them from vinyl on a technics 1200, into an EMU SP1200. That being the case, one would probably still need to apply all desired processing (compressing drums, chorus-ing pads, etc.) before you run it through this plug.

I haven't demoed it yet, but if I were designing 70's style drum breaks (which I do sometimes) or vinyl-reminiscent pitched instrument loops/riffs using this plug, I'd add this as the last of a chain of plugs, doing all the EQ and compression, reverb etc., beforehand.
Yes, that is indeed one of the main thoughts behind the concept of Sonitex, and also how I planned for it to be used most of the time. But I also feel it is important to underline that Sonitex is based on flexibility, which means that the purpose is to provide tools that allow users to "design" their own exact lofi sound.
jones-y wrote:I partially disagree with you loomchild, because, in essence, vinyl sampled into classic samplers is a very influential part of what makes those old loops/riffs/breaks sound so interesting. And IMO that's a lot of what's been missing in the computer DAW world. I do agree though that the major part of it is the original recording medium, recording environment, recording equipment, and post recording effects of those old songs, but to discount the contribution of the distribution medium (vinyl), and the second-level recording medium (classic sampler) is a bit shortsighted IMO.
Again I agree. Of course, these vinyl characteristics (such as noise) are most often heard in hip-hop, but it used as a stylistic element in other genres as well.

Check out the beat in Massive Attacks Teardrop. (From the Mezzanine album) for an example.
jones-y wrote:I have an Akai S900 and an EMU EMAX I Rack, so one of the things I will do when I get the chance is do some A/Bing against sonitex's classic sampler algorithms.
A good advice when emulating samplers is to use the entire Sonitex, and not just focus on the Digital Resolution page. For instance, you might want to add some subtle distortion and low level hiss to mimic the analog part of old samplers.

Best regards,
Rune

Rune L-H wrote:
jones-y wrote:I have an Akai S900 and an EMU EMAX I Rack, so one of the things I will do when I get the chance is do some A/Bing against sonitex's classic sampler algorithms.
A good advice when emulating samplers is to use the entire Sonitex, and not just focus on the Digital Resolution page. For instance, you might want to add some subtle distortion and low level hiss to mimic the analog part of old samplers.

Best regards,
Rune
Thanks for the advice Rune! One of these days I'll have to set some time aside to really dig in to this plug.

Return to “Effects”