GPU Delay - A delay plugin running on a graphics card

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Effects discussion
csl
KVRist
172 posts since 9 Mar, 2001

Post Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:24 am

cool, this is great news! Exciting stuff. I'll try the plugin later too.

jens
KVRAF
18841 posts since 12 Jul, 2003 from West Caprazumia

Post Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:27 am

ddummer wrote:I downloaded the plug and tested it in EnergyXT with my ATI Radeon 9550 card.

Yes he complained about missing the d3dx9_29.dll..
Googled and found out that my DirectX 9.0c does not include all 3d files.
Downloaded version 29 d3dx files and installed.

http://www.shdon.com/view?doc=d3dx
I used the installer which said the installed components could be used now but I still get the same error-message... :?
" It is a measurable fact. Not my opinion. And not even subtle. If you can't hear difference in tail between Valhalla and VSR reverb tail then again change your job dude." kmonkey

TRIAC
KVRist
38 posts since 23 Jun, 2006

Post Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:31 am

Awesome! Tested with Radeon 9550
Plug works with Cubase SX version, but produced a little crackle when inserted and strange noise. After some moving of the slider it works!

it is great!

ddummer
KVRian
830 posts since 13 Jul, 2002

Post Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:31 am

and you downloaded version 29?

I don't know if a higher version will work since the plug
is looking for d3dx9_29.dll ....

I use XP home edition without SP2 on my dedicated DAW.
(about to install SP2 as we speak...)

What Graphic card do you use Jens?

//Daniel :)

jens
KVRAF

Post Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:39 am

ddummer wrote:and you downloaded version 29?

I don't know if a higher version will work since the plug
is looking for d3dx9_29.dll ....
it looks as if I'm simply too stupid to install the .dll as I get an error-message which clearly states that the required .dll is missing even though I attempted to install it - do I have to unpack the stuffit-archives manually or not ? (I tried both ways though - the included readme doesn't explain this... :?)

What Graphic card do you use Jens?
I have a FX5200 so it should work (someone with the same card already made a positive report here in this thread... :-))
" It is a measurable fact. Not my opinion. And not even subtle. If you can't hear difference in tail between Valhalla and VSR reverb tail then again change your job dude." kmonkey

jens
KVRAF

Post Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:43 am

damned - can someone give me a step-by-step guide on how to install the .dll(s?) which can be unterstood by non-coders of average intelligence?

sjandrews
KVRist
34 posts since 13 Apr, 2005

Post Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:45 am

Quick question, my computer at home uses an integrated Intel Extreme2 Graphics controller. It does not have hardware T&L or pixel shading. It uses a software solution for those things. That will not work will it?

csl
KVRist

Post Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:47 am

Seemed to work with SX3 and a nv6800GS, although I'd sometimes get the crackle followed by a >100dB spike on the mixer, which then died down eventually. This large spike didn't seem to affect the running of the delay though, which continued just fine.

I did receive an memory error message when I quit Cubase from the project, which had three instances of the delay running at the time, saying certain memory address could not be read.

marce
KVRian
805 posts since 15 Dec, 2004

Post Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:47 am

I got the error message jens mentioned. Installed the last d3d (using the dxsetup.exe) and it worked in Reaper (after clearing the cache of plugins and re-scan).
It works with a Geforce 7300.

csl
KVRist

Post Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:48 am

And I had to install the extra DirectX stuff too before it would work.

jtpack
KVRer
3 posts since 5 Oct, 2006 from London Ontario Canada

Post Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:48 am

Worked with my Asus z71v laptop with Geforce Go6600 and Ableton Live 5.2, after installing the missing DirectX stuff as ddummer suggested.
Lots of crashing in Ableton. Some while adjusting parameters, others just happen randomly since DirectX/gpudelay was installed.
CPU usage with a single instance: About 12% in Ableton Live 5.2, with 1.86GHz Pentium M, 2GB ram, Windows XP, etc. About 66% for 6 instances.
I've been waiting forever for BionicFX. This is quite an accomplishment. Congrats.

jtpack

_niko_
KVRian
557 posts since 1 Jun, 2004 from Berlin

Post Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:51 am

Let me first applaud you for this great effort!
Unfortunately I couldn't get it to work in Samplitude 8 and 9 and Sonar6. No error messages appeared from the plug, it produced a little crackle which disappeared after moving the sliders, but it didn't change the sound in anyway. So I had a look at the log files your engine produced. The ogre log seemed to be ok, it says

Code: Select all

*** D3D9 : Subsystem Initialised OK ***
though later on there are some warnings like this one

WARNING: Texture instance 'TEX_AudioToGPU0' was defined as manually loaded, but no manual loader was provided. This Resource will be lost if it has to be reloaded.
But the sgpu.log seems to show problems:

sgpuVST::_Thread_Process: WaitForSingleObject( m_hDoProcessing ) = WAIT_TIMEOUT
sgpuVST::processReplacing: 1024 samples

sgpuVST::processReplacing: creation of audio effect failed...
The last line was repeated like 20 times.
My system specs are:
Athlon X2 3800 (running @2600mhz, but stable in prime95 torture test)
2 GB PC3200 DDR RAM
EMU 1616m Audio card (via pcmcia/pci adapter)
Geforce fx 5200 gfx card
Win2K (could this be the problem?)
NVidia driver version is listed as 6.14.10.6693, which may be a bit dated. Do you recommend a certain driver version?

Would really like to get this to work, as it would offer quite exciting new possibilities :)

jens
KVRAF

Post Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:55 am

marce wrote:I got the error message jens mentioned. Installed the last d3d (using the dxsetup.exe) and it worked in Reaper
csl wrote:And I had to install the extra DirectX stuff too before it would work.
jtpack wrote:Worked with my Asus z71v laptop with Geforce Go6600 and Ableton Live 5.2, after installing the missing DirectX stuff as ddummer suggested.

:help: :cry:

I tried to install it now for the fifth time or so - do I perhaps have to reboot?

I can't be the only one who is too stupid to install this damned .dll - can I copy and register it manually? :help:

sjandrews
KVRist
34 posts since 13 Apr, 2005

Post Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:59 am

I just thought of something (probably been thought of before).. Would it be possible to build a GPU plugin wrapper or rack that housed all the plugins so that the plugs themselves wouldn't have to be ported over.. Just put a wrapper in channel effects bins and load the plugs into that, kind of like the Acon VST Chainer sort of except the wrapper would use the GPU and pass the processing power on to the plugs.. Is that a bad idea? Is that even possible?

_niko_
KVRian
557 posts since 1 Jun, 2004 from Berlin

Post Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:01 am

Jens, I just had a look: the d3dx9_29.dll doesn't need to be registered copying it to your system32 directory should work.

Return to “Effects”