The KVR Guitar Players Thread - links to great guitar posts

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Since there is no dedicated guitar forum on KVR, this thread will become the official spot to post links to threads and posts that are scattered around in various forums that would be of special interest to guitar players. When posting, please include direct links to the threads/posts along with a short description of the contents. If you are referring to a specific post on a page, please point out which one it is (unless there is a way to link directly to a specific post). And please stay on topic. If things get too far out of hand, a mod may have to wade in here and clean things up. :o From time to time I will update this first post with the newest links so that we can keep them all in one place.

I know that there are other websites that cater to the computer recording guitarist, but many of us only frequent KVR and there has been a lot of great info posted here that deserves to be easily found. So help everyone out by posting links to old and new threads that you know about.

Who knows - if this thread is popular enough, maybe KVR will add a guitar forum someday.

I'll start things off with a link to the amazing KVR thread length champion (at least it's the longest product focused one I've ever seen):

The never-ending 352 page epic saga of the about-to-be-released Amplitube 2:

Topic: Amplitube 2 Jimi Hendrix RELEASED this month!!!
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=105637

...and the follow-on thread that needs more attention as it's only on page 7 as of today:

Topic: The Return of the Son of Shut Up and Play Your AT2JHE
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=183336

And then there is another massively long thread that a certain dev probably wishes didn't exist. This one has made it to 236 pages so far...

Topic: Guitar players, The soundclick MP3 demo page got updated!
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=50312

OK, so these aren't the most helpful threads but I wanted to ackowledge the longest (and most notorious) ones first. Of course there's some of the usual internet groundhogging, hand-wringing, bitching, and flaming going on in some of these threads, but there is some really good info also (as well as some really funny stuff). If anyone wants to point out specific stuff from any of these threads - do it!

Another thing I wanted to accomplish is getting all of the best software guitar rig ideas in one place. For example, I have seen several of Guitarzan's posts on his multi-vst freeware guitar rig experiments and they are scattered around in multiple threads. I would really like to see his rigs posted in one place, as well as what other people come up with. And maybe we could have one place where all of Dimitar's great demos are listed. And maybe....

[mod edit: stickified]

:?
Last edited by RonDP on Sun Sep 09, 2007 7:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

Um... Well...thanks Ron for that informative post but it isn't really for guitarists is it?

Please - only post stuff for guitar players, not wanna be keyboard players who can only look on with envy :D

Seriously, there are plenty of other threads for the keyboard players. Leave this thread for (real) guitar related information.

Effects? Why not hardware? All my guitar doodads are hardware. No software to bastardize the sound.

'Cause this is KVR. :wink: Hardware related to the recording process is OK to talk about (like DIs, pre-amps, miking techniques, etc...). Heck, I like to talk about guitar hardware (guitars, amps, stompboxes, etc...) also but there are lots of other great places to do that. Let's keep this focused on software and hardware related to recording into DAWs.

Oh yeah. Stupid butt me. Nowadays you need software to record hardware. How I miss those 16 and 24 track tape machines. :cry:

Anyway, I'm still using real guitars into hardware effects into a hardware mixer into a hardware sound card before Cubase does it's software dirty work. Being a purist nowadays is a real struggle. :(

Is it cool if I gloat about picking up Guitar Rig 2 on this thread? :D

Taji - no worries. Keep the hardware faith as long as you can. I also still prefer plugging into stompboxes and amps but you can't deny the flexibility of software.

Debra - gloat away! But as payment for that license to gloat, please post a link to a cool guitar thread to help this thread get rolling.

8)
Last edited by RonDP on Sun Sep 09, 2007 7:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

OK lethe, I'll give ya 2, hope they're helpful to someone:

The Yamaha EZ-EG Guitar Midi Controller thread
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 87&start=0
don't know that this one's as helpful, but i know guitar players like to look at guitar pics :wink:
Show Your Guitar Pics
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=134288

*puts token in machine*
[/gloat start]
OK, so like I'd been using the Guitar Rig 2 demo more and more in my tunes, so I broke down and got it for my birthday. It got marked down to $349 USD thru Amazon.com / AudioMidi.com and because of an earlier return, AudioMidi gave me an extra 10% off :D On top of that I paid more than half of that with Amazon gift cards I got for my b'day, so that was kewl...

I've only had it like a couple weeks and used it on a couple songs already, but I don't feel like I've even scratched the surface, mostly because I'm comparatively a noob on guitar compared to my keyboard and bass playing. I'm still just trying out all the presets so far, but I'm looking forward to creating some screwed up patches with it.

If I had to register any disappointment (and really I don't), it was no longer being able to buy the software only version on Amazon, because while the pedal is cool, i already have a Tascam 1804 firewire interface, so the USB interface on the GR2 pedal is abit redundant for me, but i still wanted the pedal anyway, so a very small complaint at that... And I believe I can register the software on another computer (any info other users might have would be appreciated), so the guitarist in my band can borrow the pedal aa an interface for recording on Cubase on his PC, so that's a bonus at least. Overall I'm very pleased with my purchase, but ymmv because like I said I'm somewhat of a guitar noob and not the tone freak like I know some of you are (not that it's a bad thing) :hihi:

[/gloat end]

:D

Last edited by RonDP on Sun Sep 09, 2007 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

Hey, I'm surprised that I haven't wandered off topic yet, given my track record and...

ooops, almost started, my bad, carry on... :oops:

8)
Last edited by RonDP on Sun Sep 09, 2007 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

Last edited by RonDP on Sun Sep 09, 2007 7:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

Ron, don't let it get to you. I don't want to get in the middle of this because I can see both sides, but i do know that some people are a bit protective of threads they start because it's easy to get off track... probably mostly due to nutcases like me hijacking their threads...

I can see how there's a classification thing going on here as Virtual Guitarist is classified more as a Virtual Instrument than an effect, members and mods seem to be very interested in keeping everything in its proper category. But I would encourage you to start a thread in Instruments because i think programs like that are interesting and I for one would like to learn more. I'd check it out, Ron! :wink:

OK, I promise I'll stick to topic now and let's all remember some respect so we can all benefit from this thread :)

Return to “Guitars”