A new compressor called Elatua.

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:Brok,

You're probably thinking of Rupert Neve's Portico series. See here: http://rupertneve.com/products/portico-5042/

Similar size as the FMR Audio stuff, but very different price points.
:hihi: Did you miss my post? :wink:
yeah, shit ... sorry ... :shock:
i have to take a serious break it seems ... :drunk: :zzz:
regards,
brok landers
BIGTONEsounddesign
gear is as good as the innovation behind it-the man

jens wrote:
bmanic wrote:I consider you lucky.
or you were just very unlucky - from all those people I know personally who own Behringer-gear I have never heard any complainsts/stories about problems...
Perhaps all the behringer gear sold in Finland is crap? I've yet to find a single of my musician/engineer friends who was 100% happy with all of their behringer gear. Some pieces are fine, some not. Usually the ones that run audio through them (not digital, not controller) break down rather quickly and/or are too noisy for most serious applications.

Maybe the tolerance is different? I consider the longevity of a basic 16 channel mixing desk to be at least 6 years. I know of not a single behringer mixer that has lasted that amount of time. They've ALL broken down under normal use whereas most (not all though) similar Mackie branded mixers have had no problems at all.

It's funny how people get so winded up by behringer, on both sides of the fence. Some love em and have had no problems whereas many hate them, especially people who have jumped ship to some other brand. Why is there such a need to either defend them or to judge them? I think the truth is exactly this division. It's probably a 50/50 toss of a coin if your 600$ behringer unit will work or fail (either physically or through a buggy firmware that never gets updated). This creates the love/hate relation ship around the net. Heck, if the DDX3216 digital mixer would have worked even for 2 years as advertised (lots, LOTS of bugs in the firmware) it would have been a bargain but alas, it didn't and behringer dropped support for it very quickly. So, if somebody actually managed to get one of those that worked he'd have made a very good deal, which means this person would most likely be all over the net praising behringer. Heck, I would too, if the gear would work which unfortunately is not the case.

The current statistics for my behringer experience is:

6 items either bought or had to work with at a 3rd party location, ranging from 100$ to 1500$. All 6 items have failed during or shortly after the warranty period. All warranty repaired items or replacements have also failed Yes, so perhaps I am unlucky. :shrug:

The latest items I've bought are still under warranty but I don't expect them to last. I got the FCB1010 foot controller and a UMX-61 midi keyboard. Both were dirt cheap from a retailer that I trust. We'll see.. no problems so far after 6 weeks of use (though the action of one keys is already significantly more loose than the rest).

Anyhow. Enough of this behringer stuff. Lets discuss Elatua!

Cheers!
bManic
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

Indeed! I tried out the new beta this morning, and I think it sounds better with "opto" off. I also suspect the last version may sound better, but I need to test further.

On the plus side, it does indeed load more quickly and feels a bit "lighter", and the soft/hard knee dial is great. :D

It depends on the source. I prefer the new 'opto' on vocals (it's a tad bit smoother) but the VCA on drums and percussive sounds in general.

It still takes like 5 seconds to open the plugin but it is quicker than Inerthia in this regard (which takes close to 10 seconds!).

Cheers!
bManic
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

I went to find the latest download but it seems like it's the same one 0.22?

Was interested to see if it felt lighter ;)

scoobz wrote:I went to find the latest download but it seems like it's the same one 0.22?

Was interested to see if it felt lighter ;)

The latest beta has only gone to those who were intrested in doing tests for me. But there is something coming up any day now.
I have been working like crazy to fix Elatua and Inerthia.
I think Inerthia will load about as fast as Elatua now. I have really started to optimize that code and I never realized how many things I have in that is of no use or could have been made much more efficiant.
I guess that is because I dont have one of those old Pcs that would have forced me to think smarter ;)

Indeed! I tried out the new beta this morning, and I think it sounds better with "opto" off. I also suspect the last version may sound better, but I need to test further.

On the plus side, it does indeed load more quickly and feels a bit "lighter", and the soft/hard knee dial is great.
As bmanic said. It depends on the material. Opto tends to color the sound much less while VCA gets the sound upfront with some nice character. VCA is great on the percussive sounds.

I have been playing with this idea on Inerthia. Maybe its stupid and maybe i cant find a place to put the knob but I made a control that can scan between the vca and optic mode. This way you can select how much Opto and how much VCA you want with a knob. But as I said. Theres not much room left on Inerthia.

I will mail out the new betas as as they are ready and I will also make new demo versions for those who just wants to fool around with it.

aliasant wrote:
bduffy wrote:Indeed! I tried out the new beta this morning, and I think it sounds better with "opto" off. I also suspect the last version may sound better, but I need to test further.

On the plus side, it does indeed load more quickly and feels a bit "lighter", and the soft/hard knee dial is great.
As bmanic said. It depends on the material. Opto tends to color the sound much less while VCA gets the sound upfront with some nice character. VCA is great on the percussive sounds.
You guys nailed it: the one thing I hadn't had a chance to try it on yet was vocals. I was mostly using it on drums and guitar busses. Good call! I'll try it out on vocals now.
aliasant wrote:I have been playing with this idea on Inerthia. Maybe its stupid and maybe i cant find a place to put the knob but I made a control that can scan between the vca and optic mode. This way you can select how much Opto and how much VCA you want with a knob. But as I said. Theres not much room left on Inerthia.

I will mail out the new betas as as they are ready and I will also make new demo versions for those who just wants to fool around with it.
I think that is an excellent idea, being able to blend VCA and opto; I mean, why the hell not? This isn't hardware - who needs limitations? The only compressor I can think of offhand that does this is GVST's GComp, and it's a nice feature. Great idea, go for it! :tu:

bduffy wrote:I think that is an excellent idea, being able to blend VCA and opto; I mean, why the hell not? This isn't hardware - who needs limitations? The only compressor I can think of offhand that does this is GVST's GComp, and it's a nice feature. Great idea, go for it! :tu:
The oft overlooked Blue Cat's Dynamics is another one which offers this feature.

I think the mix idea is spot on.

Here's a wierd one, I tried it on a simple live bass sound and the GR meter started fluttering like a humming birds wings?!! you've probably sorted it by now tho. (edit, I reopened the plugin and it was still happening, closed cubase, tried to replicate and it won't do it again, even if I set everything up the same. Like I said must have been some extraneous information getting looped somewhere, your optimizations have probably cured it)

Nice one on the optimization front btw.

I wanna test too!! :D

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:
bduffy wrote:I think that is an excellent idea, being able to blend VCA and opto; I mean, why the hell not? This isn't hardware - who needs limitations? The only compressor I can think of offhand that does this is GVST's GComp, and it's a nice feature. Great idea, go for it! :tu:
The oft overlooked Blue Cat's Dynamics is another one which offers this feature.
Right you are. I even own that one! :dog: GComp just came to mind first.

I got the VCA - OPTO scan knob working great now but I cant place it anywere in the gui.... argh. Its to damn tight.
I have to really do some thinking here.
It sounds great though.

aliasant wrote:I got the VCA - OPTO scan knob working great now but I cant place it anywere in the gui.... argh. Its too damn tight.
I have to really do some thinking here.
It sounds great though.
I hear you...tough call! I tried messing around with it, out of curiousity.

I'll bet you probably want the "autogain" switch after the dials...

Lol.

Thanks bduffy but I was, stupidly, refering to Inerthia and not Elatua. Should probably make a new thread for it?

Elatua wont have this function. It would make it to complex. At least that has been my thoughts up to now.
As few dials and buttons as possible. Inerthia on the other hand is a complex little fuckr and it is in there somewere I want to add this function.

Sorry for being to cryptic bduffy ;)

New versions of both Inerthia and Elatua.

betas are out and demos are at my site.

YAY!

Return to “Effects”