Lets make a List of native plugins that replace UAD...

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

As a UAD-1 owner who really loves the plugins I don't understand why anyone would pay £1,150 to upgrade to a QUAD when you can build your own top of the range PC for less money. For about £800 you can buy an i7 laptop with 8gb ram.

While some of the plugins for UAD-2 are very desirable I find that there are more and more native plugins that suit what I need. So what if some plugin sounds exactly like the hardware - does this plugin really suit the mix?

Instead of gear lust I find that taking more time over the mix and learning how to get the most out of the plugins I've already got has helped me create much better mixes. Years ago producers created great mixes with limited gear - now everyone is trying to emulate that sound by buying plugin after plugin. Too many tools just create confusion and reduce the time taken to learn how to get the most out of what you've already got.

munchkin wrote:Instead of gear lust I find that taking more time over the mix and learning how to get the most out of the plugins I've already got has helped me create much better mixes. Years ago producers created great mixes with limited gear - now everyone is trying to emulate that sound by buying plugin after plugin. Too many tools just create confusion and reduce the time taken to learn how to get the most out of what you've already got.
I'm starting to develop this philosophy myself.

I do not know if it really sounds like the original but the program "Compressor" in Line6 Pod Farm 2.5 sounds really good. I prefer it over Waves' CLA 2A and IK Multimedia's White. Regards.

narz3000 wrote:
munchkin wrote:Instead of gear lust I find that taking more time over the mix and learning how to get the most out of the plugins I've already got has helped me create much better mixes. Years ago producers created great mixes with limited gear - now everyone is trying to emulate that sound by buying plugin after plugin. Too many tools just create confusion and reduce the time taken to learn how to get the most out of what you've already got.
I'm starting to develop this philosophy myself.
Spot on, there's no magic plugin, it took me a while to find that out. I was spending more time trying demos and free VST's, hoping to improve my mixing, when I really needed to focus on learning the basics.

I've been hoping for better mixes through VST choices, when really, deep down inside, I should be limiting myself to a few choices and try to learn from those. Learn what they do, how they work, and be able to get some sort of fundamental strategy in place. Like they say "blaming the tools" for poor skills.

The wealth of information the internet is vast, gone are the days of having to buy magazines.

One thing hit it home me, was a young lad on YouTube. He was using free and stock plugins, his music sounded very professional to me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cImU0BL7f0c

Anyway, that's off my chest, I'll have brew.
Is materialism devouring your musical output? :ud:

filterfilter wrote:UAD Transient Designer - SPL Transient Designer!
And I'd ditch them both for Elysia Nvelope :)

A fully featured limiter.
Alternative skin.
LVC-Audio modules FETPress and OptoPress
Last edited by The Noodlist on Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

What skin is that (and where to get it from) ???

Trancit wrote:What skin is that (and where to get it from) ???
 It might have been here here.
I think the skin is called CMerry_L6_skin.res.

Hope this helps.
Last edited by The Noodlist on Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

narz3000 wrote:There is nothing that compares to the UAD Fasto. It's a gas guzzler though.
SKnote Disto
Kush's UBK-1
PSP MixSaturator
Soundtoys Decapitator
Acustica Crimson
narz3000 wrote: And as far as I know there is no emulation of the Harrison EQ, unless otherwise mentioned.
They make their own EQs plugin, btw:
https://harrisonconsoles.com/site/ava-plugins.html

One of the guys from Harrison mentioned here on KVR that their EQs are very API-inspired, so ....

https://www.waves.com/plugins/api-550?f ... gJ4dPD_BwE

munchkin wrote: Instead of gear lust I find that taking more time over the mix and learning how to get the most out of the plugins I've already got has helped me create much better mixes. Years ago producers created great mixes with limited gear - now everyone is trying to emulate that sound by buying plugin after plugin. Too many tools just create confusion and reduce the time taken to learn how to get the most out of what you've already got.
:tu: :clap: :party:

Absolutely spot on comments munchkin...
No auto tune...

digitalboytn wrote:
munchkin wrote: Instead of gear lust I find that taking more time over the mix and learning how to get the most out of the plugins I've already got has helped me create much better mixes. Years ago producers created great mixes with limited gear - now everyone is trying to emulate that sound by buying plugin after plugin. Too many tools just create confusion and reduce the time taken to learn how to get the most out of what you've already got.
:tu: :clap: :party:

Absolutely spot on comments munchkin...
Interesting take.

The way I look at it, I always make great mixes because I'm just good like that. I'm like a giant bag of awesome.

But when I have great-sounding toys, I'm awesome on top of awesome. Seriously, I get tired of having to rely on my awesomeness all the time. I need toys. Great sounding toys. Give me more toys. More awesome. Gimme' gimme' gimme'.

Return to “Effects”