Cytomic "The Drop" Resonant Filter

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
The Drop

Trees that say neep

acousticglue wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:23 pm Trees that say neep
Just past the 2 shrubberies. Smells of herring.
Bitwig Certified Trainer

hello, does the drop needs to be VST3 to have sample accuracy automation? i had some timing issues with the drop and cubase when increasing or decreasing the buffer size?

regards

Hey somewhat new The Drop user here. I was going thru the manual and whether it's not mentioned or I didn't saw it, so some questions:
There are some filter models which are not mentioned in the manual which are those modeld after?
When I want to use The Drop as distortion unit what is the best way to drive the circuit? Pre/Post/Filter?
rabbit in a hole

Not sure if these are all, but this is what i can recall atm:
SMP = Custom
OSC = Oxford Synthesizer Company OSCar
WSP = EDP Wasp
MS1 = Korg MS20 Rev. 1
MS2 = Korg MS20 Rev. 2
JPR = Roland Jupiter 8 / Juno 6
SHR = Roland SH2 / SH101
PRD = Moog Prodigy
regarding the distortion circuitry:
personally i'm using the pre- and post knobs in conjunction with the pad button almost exclusively and leave LP Drive knob untouched for the most part.
The GAS is always greener on the other side!

FapFilter wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:12 am Not sure if these are all, but this is what i can recall atm:
SMP = Custom
WSP = EDP Wasp
MS1 = Korg MS20 Rev. 1
MS2 = Korg MS20 Rev. 2
SHR = Roland SH2 / SH101
PRD = Moog Prodigy
regarding the distortion circuitry:
personally i'm using the pre- and post knobs in conjunction with the pad button almost exclusively and leave LP Drive knob untouched for the most part.
I think SMP is based on the SSM filters in the earlier Prophets and that?

Yeah, same. gainstaging in TheDrop is super fiddly and i think it sounds kind of disappointing when you clip it even a tiny bit, so i mostly fiddle with it till i get the resonance as clamped or integrated into the timbre as i like and do further clamping/saturation with more capable plugins or preferably outboard
I

I only remembered that it was said to be a custom cross between different filter behaviors, proabably what Andrew thought of being an “optimal“ compromise?

Just had a look into the manual and this is what it says:
Custom circuit topology half way between Sallen Key and SVF, LM13700 OTA core, BJT buffers, parallel soft diode clipper to limit resonance

just had a look at the actual plugin i found a few that i missed before.
After a quick google, this should be the complete list:
KSM = Custom Sallen Key
AMU = Custom ARP Odyssey mk 1
WSP = EDP Wasp
MS1 = Korg MS20 Rev. 1
MS2 = Korg MS20 Rev. 2
SMP = Custom MS20 Rev. 2 / OSCar
SHR = Roland SH2 / SH101
PRD = Moog Prodigy

FapFilter wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:12 am regarding the distortion circuitry:
Also try the new Boost button, which keeps things louder when using the Drive knob.
The Glue, The Drop - www.cytomic.com

FapFilter wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:52 am
I only remembered that it was said to be a custom cross between different filter behaviors, proabably what Andrew thought of being an “optimal“ compromise?

Just had a look into the manual and this is what it says:
Custom circuit topology half way between Sallen Key and SVF, LM13700 OTA core, BJT buffers, parallel soft diode clipper to limit resonance
The SMP is similar to the MS20 filter core being two one pole low pass filters with buffers, but the resonance is done differently. The first two low pass stages are taken and subtracted from each other to form a bandpass output, and it is this signal which is boosted, distorted, and fed back to form resonance, so the resonance sound stays stronger with drive instead of getting "swamped" by the input like the MS20.

Autobot wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:14 am Hey somewhat new The Drop user here. I was going thru the manual and whether it's not mentioned or I didn't saw it, so some questions:
There are some filter models which are not mentioned in the manual which are those modeld after?
When I want to use The Drop as distortion unit what is the best way to drive the circuit? Pre/Post/Filter?
The manual needs some attention actually, I kept on adding things and haven't updated it yet! Only the filters themselves have any distortion, so the signal level into the HP and the signal level into the LP are the only things that will cause distortion to change.

edit: also I kept the filter names as three letters to not only save space but so that people wouldn't get too attached to which synths are supposed to sound good but flick through them and give them all a go and listen to what sounds best in context.

andy-cytomic wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 9:58 am
Also try the new Boost button, which keeps things louder when using the Drive knob.
i of course did, but i somehow prefer the old input/output gain staging method as i feel it is more flexible and i actually don't think it is too complicated either.

FapFilter wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 10:51 am
andy-cytomic wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 9:58 am
i of course did, but i somehow prefer the old input/output gain staging method as i feel it is more flexible and i actually don't think it is too complicated either.
The only trouble with only using the Pre is it will drive the HP filter harder than the LP filter, so using the LP Drive can help balance that out to what you want.

Might of course just be my imagination, but i think i'm somehow getting slightly better results using Pre+Post+Tab.

But now that you mention it, i also usually only do LPF when i want stronger drive from it.

FapFilter wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 2:02 pm Might of course just be my imagination, but i think i'm somehow getting slightly better results using Pre+Post+Tab.

But now that you mention it, i also usually only do LPF when i want stronger drive from it.
All gains are clean and linear, it’s only when the audio hits the filters that there are any non-linearities that make distortion, so it won’t matter if you use the pre / post / pad or hp / lp drive, it only matters the volume going into the filter from those gains. If the hp filter is already limiting the signal level with its distortion then the only way to get more drive for the lp filter is the lp drive knob.

Return to “Effects”