NI Vintage Compressors

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I jumped on the NI VComp bandwagon last night. Being the plugin whore I am.

In short they sound great...pumpy, silky smooth and do the job nicely. Great value for Softtube plugins.

I really dont understand where the 10 second workflow time comes into things, it baffles me.

What I did was to set the NIO Vintage pack to a vst sub directory : VstPlugins\Comps. Regaring the workflow my advice might help.

Here I have GTR4 installed alongside Kompletes GR4 in Cubase. When I select GR4 in comp up pops GR4, and simply choose the desired plugin and preset.
GR Gui is not the best but it's all workable once you have the savi to figure it out.

Anyway hope the install advice helps some people. I can have these comps set up on an insert just as quickly as any other comp. The usual Quaddro work round is always a pain for non VST3 inserts which is, I hope, NI's next step forward :)

Peace

Is demo mode in standalone only? How do activate demo mode inside a DAW like pro tools or reaper? I really want to listen before I decide to buy.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:
RFJ Music wrote:I do not find the interface obstructive.
Really? As opposed to say, just inserting one of these plugins on a track? I can understand liking the sound of these, but I can't understand how someone wouldn't have a problem with the workflow/interface. There's definitely some Kool Aid being passed around...
I use Digital Performer which allows for insert presets.

That and right clicking for Dynamics inside GR does not seem to be a huge task for me.
Mac Pro 2.66GHz Dual Quad Core Nahalem, 16 Gigs RAM, DP 7.2, RME Fireface 800, Mac OS 10.6.7

thepar wrote:Is demo mode in standalone only? How do activate demo mode inside a DAW like pro tools or reaper? I really want to listen before I decide to buy.
http://www.native-instruments.com/#/en/ ... ?page=2196

Thx. That was my problem. I activated the played. Now I need to deactivate it . So I can try the demo.

Can anybody else confirm the LA2A uses almost 2x the cpu as the 1176 model?

I'm getting 1.7% for the 1176 and 3.3% for the LA2A on my core2duo laptop.
Has anybody ever really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

@midnight wrote:Can anybody else confirm the LA2A uses almost 2x the cpu as the 1176 model?

I'm getting 1.7% for the 1176 and 3.3% for the LA2A on my core2duo laptop.
GR4 VC 2A Idle 5%
GR4 VC 76 Idle 3%

RME FF800 128 buffer @ 9ms

i7 920 2.6 ¦ 12GB Ram ¦ SSD V2

APHELEON s.a. wrote:
RFJ Music wrote:I do not find the interface obstructive.
Really? As opposed to say, just inserting one of these plugins on a track? I can understand liking the sound of these, but I can't understand how someone wouldn't have a problem with the workflow/interface. There's definitely some Kool Aid being passed around...
Most NI stuff has always been geared towards the tweaker/sound designer types, who tend to have more patience in general than the people who get overwhelmed if there are more than 5 knobs on a UI and have no desire to explore sonically.

I can see how that extra 5-10 seconds required ONCE for initial setup really throws a wrench in things... What's next? People bitching because their daw doesn't read their mind to know what plugin they want to add? "Why should I be expected to take the time to click on anything? It interrupts my speed of light workflow!" :roll: WTF is the difference between loading compressor X and then needing to load/browse presets?? N O T H I N G .

No, I think the kool aid is being passed between those who have a grudge against NI as a company(which I have no stance on), those who just enjoy complaining, and the people who are trying to convince themselves they don't need these plugs(fighting G.A.S./trying to be frugal w/e).
I don't have any beef with NI (in fact, I love quite a few of their products), and wanted to like these more than I did, making sure to demo extensively before making my mind up. I just hated having to load GR4, then jump through all the required hoops to get these to work. Sorry, 10 seconds is too long compared to 0. And yeah, I could load a preset, but that still doesn't prevent me from having to have all of GR4 open just to use a compressor. There's no excuse for this. If you're going to sell me a compressor, sell me a compressor. IK figured this out rather quickly and was smart enough to release singles. Since then, I stopped using the T-Racks shell entirely. It's just incompatible with a fast workflow.

I wouldn't be suprised if NI comes around on this point. But for now, it's just too bloated a piece of software to use for what are supposed to be simple set and forget style compressors.
you are right mate.

deleted

For everything Native Instruments has done right this guitar rig / reaktor strategy is diabolically poor. At the very least they need to provide a means for reducing the number of clicks required to access their tools.

You only have to look at how mind numbingly easy Studio One is going to steal market share from Cubase/Logic on the back of a streamlined workflow.

I own Komplete 8 and love the tools but I flat out hardly ever use ANY of them from kontakt, reaktor, guitar rig because of how they have complicated the workflow. Yet for all this... you see a product like MASSIVE which has excellent 'user interface' designs (and many more of their products for that matter).

As a company they need to stand up to scrutiny and explain what is quite simply an EPIC fail in user experience. Is it some sort of licensing arrangement with softube for why it's in guitar rig? or is it because it's so much harder to release these items as AU/VST components?

Their products have scored so well in the value for money stakes that it is no doubt earning them big sales... but customers are not going to tolerate this workflow for much longer... the proof is in how little these products are being used.

Open guitar rig, navigate to components, find the family of components you are looking for, select component, expand component to reveal hidden controls, start adjusting component. Compared to opening the component straight up for an AU/VST plug. And then you have labelling issues inside your DAW ala T-Racks 3 before their fix.

This is what they are doing to their customers! At the very least they should offer shortcuts to select the desired component inside the guitar rig/reaktor/kontakt shell directly from the DAW.

It's no good having the best products at the best price if no-one enjoys using them and I'd guess that 90% of users are spewing at the workflow NI are forcing them to endure. Ulimately it is up to us as users / customers / cashflow generators to show this company what we think of their UI policy. It flat out stinks and they need to address it before impressing use with any further add ons to their amazing yet never ever used products.

Can I encourage other KVR'ers to provide their feedback directly to NI to give some air time to what is clearly not a priority at NI HQ's.

Contact Native Instruments (general questions page) here and please help make the world a better place be echoing these sentiments.

http://co.native-instruments.com/index. ... fosuppform

Agreed. It's the main reason I've never purchased any of the extra effects (reflector, the compressors). I hate the whole Guitar Rig concept. They really need to get rid of that and keep it for guitar stuff. It's annoying as hell.

Cheers!
bManic
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

This thread is too old for me to remember (but pops up on my "list" when bumped)

I don't use "reflektor" (which came with K eight) because of this.

Or maybe it's because it sounds like bung compared to reverberate or RP verb OR valhallaroom :D

I agree with what is being said here regarding workflo - open one plugin to open another...too much depth for just wanting to snap in a compressor, reverb and so on.

Also when working my mnind thinks comp and never thinks comp/g'rig so rarely gets used.

On the upside I have been working a lot more in Maschine and using Maschine as 16 stereo outs into cubase for mixing down and putting decorations and polish on, well that's the idea anyway. What I do like is how NI have improved the integration of komplete/other products with Maschine and it's sequencer. Instead of having to open raktor and then the preset, the preset or effect is simply displayed click and open.

I am starting to wonder if in 2012 we are going to see a standalone sequencer or maschine/other hardware seqencer!

What they are missing currently is ASIO load metering withing Maschine/sequencer!
Now if Gutar rig was more versatile and could load 3rd party developers plugins it would be a different beast. A multi fx rack and path to be used with instruments, channel strips and groups.

:wheee:

Return to “Effects”