Xenakios HourGlass 1.4.5 granular processor (OS-X too), grab it while it lasts!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
HourGlass

Hi Xenakios,

Possible bug:

When selecting the start and end points of the source in the Sound Viewer, the start point seems to always get priority over the end point when you click to drag if the points are too close to each other. You can usually drag the start point backwards first if you need to move the end point, but if you're working with a very short range of sound at the beginning of a sample it can become impossible to change the position of the end point for the rest of the session.

Is there any workaround for this?

cron wrote:Hi Xenakios,

Possible bug:

When selecting the start and end points of the source in the Sound Viewer, the start point seems to always get priority over the end point when you click to drag if the points are too close to each other.
Yeah this is a long-standing defect which has also often ended up annoying myself. I will look into fixing it.

Wicked! Always a pleasure to see a new build of this. Had a play about and the start/end locator behaviour is much, much improved. Thanks! It's still possible to lose the locators if you drag them right to the physical edge, but unless I decide to work with a piece of sound 0 samples long this shouldn't be an issue. :hihi:

Quick question, would you like bug reports in here or elsewhere? Asking as this thread is already groaning under the weight of my minor gripes :oops:

cron wrote:

Wicked! Always a pleasure to see a new build of this. Had a play about and the start/end locator behaviour is much, much improved. Thanks! It's still possible to lose the locators if you drag them right to the physical edge, but unless I decide to work with a piece of sound 0 samples long this shouldn't be an issue. :hihi:

Quick question, would you like bug reports in here or elsewhere? Asking as this thread is already groaning under the weight of my minor gripes :oops:
Yeah I wish I had some sane way to keep track of the bugs/requests...Unfortunately at the moment there's not really any such system in place. Suggestions are welcome... :)

I was also easily able to reproduce the edge case bug with the sample markers. One is not completely stuck in that situation though : Ctrl+Shift+Plus (+) and Ctrl+Shift+Minus (-) are shortcuts that can adjust the sample start/end markers left and right so that they are again accessible with the mouse.

Thank you, Xenakios.

Xenakios wrote:
cron wrote:

Yeah I wish I had some sane way to keep track of the bugs/requests...Unfortunately at the moment there's not really any such system in place. Suggestions are welcome... :)

I was also easily able to reproduce the edge case bug with the sample markers. One is not completely stuck in that situation though : Ctrl+Shift+Plus (+) and Ctrl+Shift+Minus (-) are shortcuts that can adjust the sample start/end markers left and right so that they are again accessible with the mouse.
Thanks for the keyboard shortcut hint. Need to investigate all the other keyboard shortcuts now you meantion it...

This software is like a bottomless pit of functionality that slowly reveals more and more of itself to you as you use it. The best offline granulator just keeps getting better. Thank you :)

Request: MIDI controller compatibility! That, would be swell! :D

Thanks as all ways, Xenakios :D

abstractcats wrote:Request: MIDI controller compatibility! That, would be swell! :D

Hmm, what kind of MIDI controller compatibility exactly? I guess you have already visited View->Remote controls manager? I know I am missing the ability to allow playing HourGlass like an instrument from a keyboard, but that is kind of a difficult thing to plan and implement...(The fragments/granular processing hasn't really been designed to be controlled from musical notes. It's not entirely impossible to add, of course, but just hasn't been a priority.)

Xenakios wrote:
abstractcats wrote:Request: MIDI controller compatibility! That, would be swell! :D

Hmm, what kind of MIDI controller compatibility exactly? I guess you have already visited View->Remote controls manager? I know I am missing the ability to allow playing HourGlass like an instrument from a keyboard, but that is kind of a difficult thing to plan and implement...(The fragments/granular processing hasn't really been designed to be controlled from musical notes. It's not entirely impossible to add, of course, but just hasn't been a priority.)
Ooop! I missed the "View->Remote controls manager" section. I'll see what I can get out of it. It has found my Akai Synthstation and Korg Nanpad. It just did not occur to me that "Remote Controls" also, refers to Midi, Duh!

Yeah, playing like an instrument would be great. Hmm, might make HourGlass great for live ambient stuff.

Just tried the Learn Remote setting in the PlaySpeed section and mapped it to the Modwheel on the SynthStation and it works perfectly! Cool! :D

Oh! It opened with a setting of 256, I have to set it to to about 50, for it work work really accurately.

Giving this a bump with some Hourglass sounds. Little work in progress where absolutely everything (except the kick and click toward the back end) is made in Hourglass from a tiny fragment of a 1916 music hall tune: http://soundcloud.com/chqtestsubjects/unti

cron wrote:Giving this a bump with some Hourglass sounds. Little work in progress where absolutely everything (except the kick and click toward the back end) is made in Hourglass from a tiny fragment of a 1916 music hall tune: http://soundcloud.com/chqtestsubjects/unti
Great piece! I love working with old audio, I've found that sound from very old movies works really well, in granular synth.

Every thing seems much more responsive. Also, the "Generate" function is great!
Thanks!

Return to “Effects”