AcmeBarGig Beta Test for Head Case LITE PCVST

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

May 16 2012 UPDATE:
This is an update that answers the wobbly Filtercabinets error that had been reported. It also deals with Volume differences between the suite and Head Case builder.

If you already have head case lite 1.53 installed, then all you need to do is copy the two DLL files cotained in the UPDATE A Rar to the head case folder.

The path will be something like.
[Your vst folder]/AcmeBarGig/HeadCase
Your folder is the name of the folder where you installed head case.

If you have not installed Head Case LITE 1.53 Yet, then you must run this installer first, and then copy the contents of update A following the above steps.

Head Case LITE 1.53 installer.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7630363/Release ... 201.53.zip

Head Case LITE 1.53 UPDATE A
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7630363/Release ... pdateA.rar
If you have any troub;le, just leave a mesage

------------------------------------------------------

Well, as they say about children, sooner or later you gotta let them go. haha So here is Head case lite. This is the 30 day trial that will be released as a demonstration of head case. This is a limited version of head case in that it only contains the suite and the builder, it does not contain any of the other single VST plugs that the "Complete" version does. I'll start another thread that explains the difference in better detail later. For now I really just want to concentrate on getting head case on as many systems as possible to see what type of pitfalls/errors may come up.

I know that a lot of you don't like reading, so in future there will be videos done that will explain all known aspects of head case. Some things it does we just simply cannot explain without researching your exact settings. It has some very complex interactions and the number of options/settings makes it impossible to be able to comment with without researching it. Even then we may have it wrong. So if you ask a question like how do I get a sound like amp X? My reply will be, go out and buy amp X haha. Head case is not a modeler in the classic sense. Although some would like to call it a waveshaper, that would also be incorrect. It is not a wavershaper in the classic sense either.

READ THIS PLEASE
For you to get the most out of this, please take a few minutes and read what I have here.

Installing HC (Head Case)..
If you are expecting to simply copy a DLL to a folder and have it run, then you will be disappointed. Head Case MUST be installed. The installation program creates supporting files and folders that head case relies on. If they are not there, then it will not run properly.

-The installation program will ask you to select a folder to install to. This should be your VST plugins folder. The HC install program will ALWAYS add a folder called AcmeBarGig to the folder you select. The AcmeBarGig folder is part of the program and must be there.

-You will be asked whether to create a desktop icon for installing heads. Although you don't have to, it would be easier if you did because our documentation assumes that you have this shortcut.

-If you have any other ABG head case apps, like iFace OR Head Case complete installed, then you need to ensure that you install to a different path.So when asked, simply add a folder name to the install to path, the installer will then use that and Append \AcmeBarGig to it.

Safety
-Although we are pretty much finished with development, just to be safe, you should make a backup copy of the AcmeBarGig folder before installing if you have any other Head case apps installed.

This version does not come with any heads installed, so upon rnning it, you may be met with a blank head. Thats ok, you just need to install some heads. There is a list of heads that you can download and install at your leisure..

Installing a head
First a little background...
In head case builder, once you have designed your fantabulous, ultra cool head you can make a distribution of that head so that you can share it with others. Under file operations in the Head Case Builder you'll find a Make button. That button runs an external program that gathers all your head settings, graphics, and custom curves. It then compresses them inside a JPG graphics file. That graphics file can be placed on a forum where others can download it.

Here is an actual amp file.
This file contains all of the required elements to install the Guillotine head into your head case just by dropping it onto the Install Head Icon.

To install these files, typically you would download an image like the above and save it to your local hard drive. You can then either drag and drop the image onto the install head icon on your desktop, or you can run the install head program directly from your start menu.

Here is how to install a head in three steps. Note however, categories only apply to head case complete. Head case lite does not have this abiity.
1)
You can simply download a head image by right clicking it and selecting save as. (Save it to a known place on your HDD)

Particulars..
If you have dropped a file onto the install head icon then this step does not need to be performed. If you open the install head utility from the start menu, or by double clicking the desktop icon, step 1 has to be done. This allows you to select the file you want to install.

2) Where is the head to be installed to? (dioes not apply to head case LITE)
This is where you select what category (folder) to install the head to. It will default to the first category in the list. If you add or remove categories, they will also be represented in the category list.

3) This installs the head into the chosen category. Head case lite always installs to HeadCaseLite Category.

Selecting a head in head case..
1) This button shows ther File Operations screen. This is where heads are loaded, saved, and where distributions are made.

2) This is the file type selector. Heads that are installed will show up when you select "Installed Head". For heads that have not been made into distributions yet, they are considered as templates. So the next logical question is, why is there a difference, why not just have them all the same. This is so that you can work on a head without overwriting the original. Head Case builder only saves as templates which keeps the original downloaded head intact. You may want to refer back to it again later.

Snapshots...(SNAPSHOTS HAVE BEEN REMOVED IN VERSION 1.51 UNTIL AFTER THE OFFICIAL RELEASE. Look for them in around version 1.6)
The third selection on the list is snapshots. Snapshots are sequentially saved head templates. So as you are working, you come across a sound you like, you can save a snapshot of it which stores the head at that stage of development. When you save a snap shot of the head again, it saves the head at the new stage in development. They are stored as Snapshot 1, Snapshot 2, etc. Here is where it can get a little confusing. A folder is created for evey head you take a snapshot of. So if you were working on HonkenII, A folder called HonkenII would be created and all snapshots of HonkenII would be stored there. When you want to load a snapshot, a listing of all the snapshot folders appears under the snapshot button. When you click one of those folders, the snapshot files appear in the file list. This is essentially the same as choosing a category, which we'll talk about now.

Selecting a category..(Only applies to Head Case complete, head case lite does not have a category option)
#3 is the file list display. This is where you select a file to load. Directly above the file list roughly in the center is the category drop down selector. If you installed a head into American Style for example, then you select the American Style category, and the installed heads button. Voila, the head you installed is in the list.

All the category selector does is change the folder thats being displayed in the file list, all the buttons do is change the filetype thats being displayed. This is exactly the same mechanism as snapshots. The list that appears on the bottom of the snapshots button(when its pressed), is just a list of folders where you have taken snapshots of heads. The snapshot folders are named after the head. I could have moved that mechanism to the Category drop down, but I didn't for two reasons. First is I think it would get pretty confusing, second and most important is the number of folders that would have to be displayed in the drop down could be too many. Which brings me to #4

#4 is are page sliders. If you have too many heads or snapshot folders to be displayed on one page, then you can navigate to the next page by sliding this..

WARNING:
Be careful with external equipment levels with head case as it might cause volume spikes. This should only apply to making changes in the builder, but, this is a test, so be careful in the suite as well. Head Case always turns on its limiter when you load a head or preset to attempt a safegard against volume spikes, but the best safety measure is for you to make sure external equiipment levels are low to begin with.. Just be careful as you assume all the risks...

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7630363/Release ... 201.53.zip

Here are some heads for you to install, and I'm pretty sure there will be other users sharing their creations as well.
MAHAKALI example recorded by yours truly..
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7630363/ForTT/B ... Master.mp3

Quarter Example recorded by yours truly..Only the clean guitar is using Quarter, the dirty guitar is using Skull Job.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7630363/ForTT/P ... stered.mp3

Guillotine example recorded by yours truly..
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7630363/ForTT/C ... Master.mp3

Skull Job R1 used only on the solo for this track. This was a stem that was Mixed by Dalton. Unfortunately I don't know who the artist is right now but I will find out in order to give them credit for this great piece. I believe Dalton used his Detonator Amp on this track as well(Detonator is aso a head case head).
Anyways, I only recorded the solo using Skull Job at around 1:27
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7630363/ForTT/T ... oloJam.mp3

So right click on any of these images and save them to your hard drive in a known spot. Then following the head installation instructions above.
There is 10 more heads by Rock Axe available here
http://www.guitarampmodeling.com/viewto ... 92&t=16130

For support, some of you might find it easier to use Face book, we have a dedicated head case group there.
There is usually someone online there that can answer your questions immediately through the face book chat utility..

UPDATE MAY 06 2012
I thought bthat you guys might want to give these a run as well. These are the stand alone executables for head case lite. Note however, they are not officially supported from us(ABG)...
Just copy these into the same folder as the head case builder and head case suite DLL files..
It will be
[Your Selected install folder]/Acmebargig/HeadCase
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7630363/Release ... TEexes.rar
Enjoy..

KNOWN ISSUES

There is one notable error that is holding up our official release. When using Filter cabs, some have reported a what they call a wobbly noise. That is low in volume and frequewncy and builds in volume. Please let me know if you get that and what your steps were to get it.

Important:
It has been brought to my attention also that the suite volume is drastically higher than the Builder. :? That will be fixed in an update shortly. In the mean time please reduce the master volume on the heads and the master volume on the plugin located in the cab interface.

Thank you for your time and interest
-Ken
Last edited by Ken McLaren on Wed May 16, 2012 4:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

Good god that software looks asstastic. And a real PITA to install! Seriously I would be embarrassed to pull that up in front of a client...
Has anybody ever really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

I hope you're not thinking the above images are the software? Because they aren't...

@midnight wrote:Good god that software looks asstastic. And a real PITA to install! Seriously I would be embarrassed to pull that up in front of a client...
:roll: Can we see something YOU designed or developed for comparison? Let's see you do better then...

been waiting for this for quite a while! thanks Ken, and the demos sound great.
Bedroom Producers Blog << Free VST Plugins!

@midnight wrote:Good god that software looks asstastic. And a real PITA to install! Seriously I would be embarrassed to pull that up in front of a client...
Uh...yeah, sounds similar to the very unprofessional and unpopular NI Reaktor. :roll: (I was trying to sound sarcastic)

ACMEBarGig makes the best-sounding amp/cab sims imo.
ALL YOUR DATA ARE BELONG TO US - Google

https://soundcloud.com/dan-ling
http://danling.com

Thanks Gonga.

Skull Job baby ! lol hell yeah :D

I want to release Skull Job R2 pretty soon too. Basically with each revision I hope to get closer the the original SJ1

Ken McLaren wrote:I want to release Skull Job R2 pretty soon too. Basically with each revision I hope to get closer the the original SJ1
Excellent, i'll look forward to that :) I love it now :D

Your free stuff is so good it's all I need. I never even touch Guitar Rig, which I own. At some point I will be picking up all your stuff.
ALL YOUR DATA ARE BELONG TO US - Google

https://soundcloud.com/dan-ling
http://danling.com

When the dust settles, install Headcase, download the jpg files, start Headcase,
and drop a jpg on the desktop icon. Done, time to play! Clients will like choosing rooms, surfaces, mics, cabs and their placement, not to mention the sonic results.
Cheers

glokraw wrote:Clients will like choosing rooms, surfaces, mics, cabs and their placement, not to mention the sonic results.
Cheers
As my time frees up a little more I am starting to look at going out and playing live again. I have been looking at ways to add value to a live setup. Something I want to experiment with is separating the head and stomp effects interfaces from the stereo rack and cabinets. The idea is that the head and stomps stay with the guitarist on stage, and the cabs and stereo effects are controlled by the sound man at the board. Maybe not the stereo effects, maybe just the cabs, but either way, cab mic placement has pretty much always remained in the realm of the sound engineer at the board. Separating that element from them and leaving that in control of the guitarist is probably hindering in a way to the overall mix.

As a guitarist, you really don't hear too much what is going on in the mains. You hear it for sure, but in most setups where you have a dedicated soundman the mains are in front of you(at best beside you). Sound guys usually have their own style of how they like things mic'd. Perhaps they have a certain formula they use and it works for them. I just think taking that away from them would be like taking away a bass knob from a guitarist.

Perhaps thats a glimpse into head case live? I don't know but I definitely think its worth looking into.

I'm listening to the audios right now and like what I hear. Nice improvements over what I heard from AcmeBarGig like a year+ ago. Cool. Looking forward to it. :)

chacka wrote:I'm listening to the audios right now and like what I hear. Nice improvements over what I heard from AcmeBarGig like a year+ ago. Cool. Looking forward to it. :)
Thanks.. I had quite a steep learning curve, but there is still so freaking much to learn yet..

Return to “Effects”