Eventide BLACKHOLE Plug-in Officially Released

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Extraordinary Spaces for Eventide Blackhole H9 Series: Blackhole

Automating Blackhole with the slider:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=is1cNOtmJBM

JRR Shop and Plugin Boutique have Blackhole for 65% off ATM, for anyone not already owning this gem.

NKS version out now too

I was pretty set on on getting it with the sale but at the end valhalla shimmer is as good, I remember from a previous trial it had a more unique and characterful some but now it doesn't seem so unique to me.
dedication to flying

rod_zero wrote:I was pretty set on on getting it with the sale but at the end valhalla shimmer is as good, I remember from a previous trial it had a more unique and characterful some but now it doesn't seem so unique to me.
I had Shimmer and it's fun but when I got Blackhole I sold Shimmer. Blackhole to me is smoother, warmer and more organic sounding than Shimmer, which suits my audio aesthetic better. However having both would not be a bad thing - they are different enough to justify it.

Wanted to have Blackhole for a while and finally got it today with the sale. I also got other Reverbs like e.g. Lexicon MPX Native, ValhallaVintageVerb and Valhalla Plate but Blackhole is quite special and i like the sound of it.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Blackhole can also be a fantastic delay plugin.

Blackhole seems to be perfect for pads and atmospheric sounds but should also work nicely for other types of sounds. Will soon also check it with acoustic pianos (for example VI Labs Ravencroft 275).
Ingo Weidner
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Ingonator wrote:Blackhole seems to be perfect for pads and atmospheric sounds but should also work nicely for other types of sounds.
Yep. I really like it on spacey pad sounds, and atmospheres. I think it quite excels at those.

rod_zero wrote:I was pretty set on on getting it with the sale but at the end valhalla shimmer is as good, I remember from a previous trial it had a more unique and characterful some but now it doesn't seem so unique to me.

I don't get the constant comparison of Shimmer and Blackhole - they are both doing completely different things.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jens wrote:

I don't get the constant comparison of Shimmer and Blackhole - they are both doing completely different things.
Fanboys :phones:

Both are very "obvious" effect reverbs, also great for big spaces for synths.

I do like both a lot, in fact I like eventide algos quite a bit after trying an H9 for a while, I would get it if I didn't hate dealing with all the cables and set up involved.

But as a plugin I don't think that Blackhole is cost effective for me, 20 USD more than Shimmer, and you have to deal with ilok (I don't hate on it but obviously the valhalla system has more advantages).

Also Ubermod can be a crazy reverb if you want to.
dedication to flying

rod_zero wrote:Both are very "obvious" effect reverbs, also great for big spaces for synths.

I do like both a lot, in fact I like eventide algos quite a bit after trying an H9 for a while, I would get it if I didn't hate dealing with all the cables and set up involved.

But as a plugin I don't think that Blackhole is cost effective for me, 20 USD more than Shimmer, and you have to deal with ilok (I don't hate on it but obviously the valhalla system has more advantages).
The time to buy it was either when it was $49 or with with the recent reverb bundle deal.

There is a decent discussion about the differences in a thread somewhere on here. Sean chimed in about it when I was on the fence on the $49 purchase (of Blackhole).

On Edit: LOL! It's this thread, just search for Sean.

I just used a pad sound in UVI USQ-1 together with Blackhole and the with 2 of my previously favorite Reverbs which are ValhallaVintageVerb and Lexicon MPX Native Reverb.

All 3 Reverbs sound great on their own but all 3 also sound quite diffeernt. So which one i use really depends on the sound i want and for that specific pad sound Blackhole sounds best for my ears.
Really seems to make sense having a few differnt Reverbs that have a different basic sound.

Blackhole could eaisly sound really smooth where other Reverbs might sound a bit more harsh to my ears. The way how the two EQ parameters and the Resonance knob work offers changing the basic timbre in a simple way which indeed makes it a "sound design Reverb",

Besides that Blackhole indeed seems to be graet for really long Reverbs but that seems to be what it was made for.
Ingo Weidner

I don’t think one can put Blackhole in the same category as most other reverbs, I personally see it as an effect plugin much like I do Shimmer. I haven’t found any other reverb that can give me those huge cavernous diffuse ‘Sigor Ros’ beautiful spaces that I love and it’s really all about those kind of sounds that make Blackhole so great IMO. Obviously one could use it as a kind of bread and butter reverb but that’s not where it shines.

Return to “Effects”