ValhallaVintageVerb 1.7.1. Two new reverb modes (Chaotic Hall, Chaotic Chamber)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
ValhallaVintageVerb

Infallible rule of thumb: Always go with what sounds good to you.

Doesn't matter if it's analogue/digital, expensive/cheap.
My music is a fusion of jazz and funk. It's called "Junk"

tropicalontour wrote:Infallible rule of thumb: Always go with what sounds good to you.

Doesn't matter if it's analogue/digital, expensive/cheap.
And another one :

Do not try to hear what you are not (passively) hearing.

If it sounds good, it IS good. if you constantly seek for a "BETTER", quit making music and go to the beach or somethin... (I wonder if in the old days they used to compare - ALL THE TIME - the Lex vs TC vs AKG vs Roland ..)
Professional technicians are assessed by the abilities they possess.
Amateur technicians are assessed by the tools they possess - and the amount of those tools, with an obvious preference to the latest hyped ones.
(Gabe Dumbbell)

mandolarian wrote: A blind test for a reverb? Is there an objective international standard for reverb testing? Removing subjectivity from a creative tool, renders it useless, for me.

We want them to change the signal. We can only argue which plugin distorted the signal best, in our opinion. Viva La Subjectivity!
Well, there are 2 components of subjectivity in reverb sound perception by sound engineer. 1 - the sound. 2. GUI, developer name, price, reviews and other inrelevant to sound stuff. And blind tests is a good (the only?) way to remove these "type 2" subjectivities from the comparison.

Yet you make ostfront's choice sound bad somehow? Or is that just how you express yourself?
:hug:

what do i use if i want to simulate a camp fire in the outside? for example in a forest at night?

Caine123 wrote:what do i use if i want to simulate a camp fire in the outside? for example in a forest at night?
Gasoline!

Sampleconstruct wrote:
Caine123 wrote:what do i use if i want to simulate a camp fire in the outside? for example in a forest at night?
Gasoline!
I think the wood is the important component :hihi:

pdxindy wrote:
Sampleconstruct wrote:
Gasoline!
Ahh, matches then :D

Sampleconstruct wrote:
pdxindy wrote:
Sampleconstruct wrote:
Gasoline!
Ahh, matches then :D

:D

A forest is essentially a feed-forward reverb. Enclosed rooms have sound waves that bounce back and forth, so the sound can be approximated with recursive delay lines. In a forest, there is a lot more empty space, and the odds that a sound will bounce off of a tree, then off of another tree, then back to the listener, are much lower than the odds of hearing wall bounces in a room. So the best way to simulate a forest is to get an impulse response of a forest.

Sean Costello

I should have a new beta available to test by the end of the day. The 1.0.1b11 release of ValhallaVintageVerb has the following changes:

- a few bug fixes for enhanced stability
- NEW REVERB MODE: Sanctuary.

Sanctuary is loosely inspired by the EMT250. With the Size set to 0% and the Attack set to 0%, the early reflections should be similar to an EMT250. There are a LOT of differences with the EMT250, though, the big one being that Sanctuary is not a "constant density" algorithm. The initial tap pattern and spatialization is similar to the EMT250, but the echo density builds over time.

In addition, I am using a somewhat different modulation technique than the EMT250. The examples of the EMT250 I have heard have a preset chorus depth, and totally randomized modulation. This works well when you have a maximum decay limited to 4.5 seconds, but when you increase the decay, and have modulation rate/depth controls in there, the randomized modulation can sound seasick. I used a "detuning" modulation, that preserves the pitch of the decay better, and also adds a lot of stereo width (the latter is due to a modulation technique I've never tried before, that I'm pretty excited about).

Please send me an email or PM (with your email address) if you are a user of the non-demo ValhallaVintageVerb plugin, and you want to test the new beta. I figure that a new reverb mode will get more people testing this, which will help ensure that the bug fixes I put in there are working.

Sean Costello

valhallasound wrote:I should have a new beta available to test by the end of the day. The 1.0.1b11 release of ValhallaVintageVerb has the following changes:

- a few bug fixes for enhanced stability
- NEW REVERB MODE: Sanctuary.

Sanctuary is loosely inspired by the EMT250. With the Size set to 0% and the Attack set to 0%, the early reflections should be similar to an EMT250. There are a LOT of differences with the EMT250, though, the big one being that Sanctuary is not a "constant density" algorithm. The initial tap pattern and spatialization is similar to the EMT250, but the echo density builds over time.

In addition, I am using a somewhat different modulation technique than the EMT250. The examples of the EMT250 I have heard have a preset chorus depth, and totally randomized modulation. This works well when you have a maximum decay limited to 4.5 seconds, but when you increase the decay, and have modulation rate/depth controls in there, the randomized modulation can sound seasick. I used a "detuning" modulation, that preserves the pitch of the decay better, and also adds a lot of stereo width (the latter is due to a modulation technique I've never tried before, that I'm pretty excited about).

Please send me an email or PM (with your email address) if you are a user of the non-demo ValhallaVintageVerb plugin, and you want to test the new beta. I figure that a new reverb mode will get more people testing this, which will help ensure that the bug fixes I put in there are working.

Sean Costello
Ahah I remember a previous post where you stated that this update won't contain any new reverb mode. Seems you are too much of a reverb-maniac Sean... :D
Thanks a lot for your amazing work ! (I'd be glad to test it, I'm gonna PM'd you right now)

Endor-8o8 wrote: Ahah I remember a previous post where you stated that this update won't contain any new reverb mode. Seems you are too much of a reverb-maniac Sean... :D
The 1.0.1b5/b7 updates didn't contain a new reverb mode. This one does. :D

Sean Costello

valhallasound wrote:
Endor-8o8 wrote: Ahah I remember a previous post where you stated that this update won't contain any new reverb mode. Seems you are too much of a reverb-maniac Sean... :D
The 1.0.1b5/b7 updates didn't contain a new reverb mode. This one does. :D

Sean Costello
So glad it does !! :hihi:

Testing VVVs new Sactuary algo with VSL Overdrive Guitar:

http://soundcloud.com/sampleconstruct/o ... tar-in-vvv

Great addition, Sean!

Sampleconstruct wrote:Testing VVVs new Sactuary algo with VSL Overdrive Guitar:

http://soundcloud.com/sampleconstruct/o ... tar-in-vvv

Great addition, Sean!
Fabulous demo, SC. Great work, Sean.

Return to “Effects”