EQ Plugins

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion

You're on Cubase, right?

Save your money and use the built-in EQ. It's fine.

Some I like/use quite often include Sonnox Oxford EQ, Brainworx bx_digital V2, DMG Audio EQuilibrium, apulSoft apulizr, Waves Abbeyroad RS56, Softube Passive Active pack, PSP Audioware sQuad, PA MAAG EQ along with a few other Plugin Alliance EQs, A few other Waves EQs. Abbeyroadplugins "Mastering Pack" which has just been discontinued has a great intuitive EQ in it with for me everything layed out and boosting/cutting like I like it, The not discontinued Brilliance Pack is great too for presence boosts (Still it could easily be covered all under EQuilibrium tbh), URS Classic Console Strip Pro 2 gets a lot of use, Still really dig my Focusrite LiquidMix a lot and some freeware and magware bits. A few Dynamic EQs I use also which can be just the job on certain material. Also yes I do indeed use the EQs which come stock with the DAWs I use

As has been pointed out by chokehold, The fundamental thing is finding the one or handful which lay out wise and Q/Gain dependency (or lack of it) work for you/feel intuitive as it will keep your workflow flowing

I probably have far too many at hand but over time I've worked out what works for me and instinctively reach for what I know will suit the task giving the results I want/expect/predict. I am not saying having a lot to reach for is at all productive though and could easily be the opposite and yeah most are JADE with a nice GUI

Demoing and blind testing (ABX) yourself is the only way to whittle it down as it is in most other areas

My 2 pence fwiw, All the best to everyone as always :)

Dean

Andywanders wrote:You're on Cubase, right?

Is it now CurveEQ 3 by Voxengo/Aleksey that has now been built into Cubase as a stock EQ just conforming to Cubase's colour scheme? (Not the immediate channel strip EQs but selectable via the plugins > EQ menu). If so a hell yes, That is plenty of first class EQ right there for any task! Good call Andy, I'm not a Cubase user but I remember reading about that as a great new feature for Cubase user's that are on v7 and enjoying v7

I'd be very pleased to have CurveEQ native to the applications I use for sure :)

Dean

EQs are my favorite plugin type. I mostly favor EQuilibrium and GlissEQ. I like 6144 for high boosts, and OvertoneDSP's PTC-2A for bass drum EQ work. Pro-C still gets regular use, and PSP's sQuad as well.
Seasoned IT vet, Mac user, and lover of music. Always learning.

chokehold wrote: I for myself will stick to ReaEQ, as the sonic difference to Pro-Q or Equality is way too marginal (-80 dB...) to justify spending that much money on something that's, IMHO, not as quick and easy to control as ReaEQ is.
With Equality , were you getting the same results ((-80 dB null) with all the modes or just the default "digital" mode ?

Algorithmix Classic PEQ Blue 832€ + LinearPhase PEQ Orange 1190€, cheaper than Waves Mercury. :)

PA Elysia Museq,not cheap but great IMHO

DMGaudio Equilibrium is the best EQ when you need a clean EQ. No harmonics, so saturation, but amazing good sounding!

Add Sonimus SonEQ Pro and you are pretty much covered for all EQ duties!
Untold Stories Vol.1 - 64 Arturia MiniFreak presets
Analog History - 84 Behringer DeepMind 6/12/12D presets
Earth & Stars - 139 Free Patches for SuperMassive
Website

I use Studio One eq for most equing tasks. Sometimes when I need huge boosts I use free Soneq and Ovetrone PTC-2A, they seem to raise frequencies in somehow more musical way (another question is whether such high boosts are really needed, wouldn't it be better to cut masking frequences instead).

I wonder, would it make sence for me to replace the Studio One Eq with something "more professional" like ProQ. I use only virtual synths and drum samples so much of the tone shaping is made with the synth itself and I don't have to kill the room resonances or something like that, while the drum samples are mainly pretreated (like Vengeance stuff). Do I really need all these sonic surgery possibilities?
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Steinberg Portico EQ. I can use this EQ for everything and can't make it sound bad.

Andywanders wrote:You're on Cubase, right?

Can't argue with that :)

Gliss EQ is different as is Toneboosters TB Fix (my opinion Toneboosters should always be a consideration for many plugs) doing similar with dynamic and tone control. Cubase Standard and Gliss with one of many great Sat plugs out there your happy days and future proof.

DMG Audio EQuilibrium is what I use.

Slate Digital is bringing out two vintage channel strip EQ that comes in a rack thing and it will allow you to slide in compressors that come with it and slide VCC into it.

I haven't progressed beyond the DAW EQ/ a few CM freebies for the simple reason that I'm not good enough at what I do for it to make much difference. I guess if you're reasonably flush with cash then by all means go for it (I certainly would, I like my toys as much as the next man) but I find there's always something else that'll make more difference to my sound that I can spend my limited money on. If you've genuinely reached a point where the quality of your EQ is holding your mixes back, I envy you.

EQuilibrium can sounds very nice indeed for general needs.
Vengeance Philta XL for hi & low cuts.
Summit Audio EQF100 has very nice saturation.
PSP ClassicQ and NobleQ for sound shaping.
Last edited by xtrax on Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Effects”