Free Mastering Compressor "Infinity"

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I think it is ALWAYS the developer's decision how a plugin should look or operate.
If a dev wants to stay small thats fine, but when there are issues that make the plugin uncomfortable to use, and people are echoing it, fix it or dont sell it. Its up to you.
and users seem to have the idea that, because they are 'small' developers, they can impose any request on the dev and he should always bow to their wishes. KVR is littered with 'free stuff discussions' where developers have to fight every little decision they make and are even called 'bad developers' if they tend do stay their ground. This shouldn't be that way.
Im not seeing any of that revolving around this discussion. The only thing ive seen were realistic explanations that have been addressed, and for good reason..Sounds to me like your arguments are based off past experiences and not relevant to this discussion.
No it does not. The majority doesn't have a clue what goes into developing this stuff and request things without any real substantiation of their ideas and understanding of what's involved in such a decision, other then 'I want that'.
Youre just sounding like fredrick's cheerleader at this point. Arguing for the sake of arguing. Trust me on this, if the majority says knobs are too hard to turn or writing is too hard to read, there might be something to it.
Not always 'better' but in most cases 'the way I want it'. Even with free stuff many users seem to have some strange feeling of entitlement.
People are allowed to express their thoughts. ESPECIALLY when it has been posted on a public DISCUSSION forum. Accusing people, who have an interest in seeing the plugin work well, of being selfish and entitled, is something YOU'VE created in YOUR mind.. Thats the way YOU feel when you read it, so you apply YOUR emotions to the posters text. Simple principles of psychology. It is impossible to consistently gauge people feelings from text. If it sounds to you like they are whiny, its because you are reading it in a whiny tone.
There ya have it...

Ultrasonic wrote:
Seems like you dont want to be told anything regarding how this plugin should look or operate. Maybe thats ok if you dont plan on selling it, but one thing about the most respected small developers, they seem to embrace the ideas of their user base.

Try not looking at the criticisms as complaining, but as constructive criticism, from people who really like your work and are hopeful that it will be better. Of course not all issues will be resolved, but when the overwhelming majority says something makes sense, then it probably does.

Congratulations on Infinity. I like it as well. I'll probably have a couple criticisms after ive had a few days to use it, but again, like most others, im just hoping for the best with this plugin.
To be honest, today there are 1458 people (registered) using the plugin, 4 days online ...
Those that filled in their email will get future releases and updates.
At some forums people say I will use the emails to spam them.. And because of that idea the complete forum is negative about the plugin. There is no reason to spam people, because I hate spam as well.

I will be personally attacked because my name is on the plugin if they are spammed.
To them I say, Think Again. :ud:

You see, people are manipulated to easy. :wink:
The plugin is free, tested against payable versions like W...s, So..ox Ox..ord and other big software houses.
I'm really sure my plugin can sound better on some material, because I heard it with my ears and have seen the results on wav files.

So I actually don't care too much about what people say on the net.
The point is that those that use it correctly, will respect the plugin above other plugins.
If I can make it better I will.

If people donate enough, I am able to pay some programmers to help me out much faster.
It's not easy to write in C++ on all systems. I'm working on a Mac version at the moment and my beta test team is small. (5 people - Win 32/64bit and mac OS version users) So yes, I'm a small programmer. But I'm sure we will get there at some point.

2 years ago I was dreaming about this plugin. I wrote a 32bit version for my studio setup (Windows XP)
At some point someone heard the results as well and told me, the Infinity is awesome.
Asked me a copy, made it free for everyone. Developed my own modded version as well..

Will use that later to bring out the Deluxe Infinity.

Ultrasonic wrote:
Seems like you dont want to be told anything regarding how this plugin should look or operate. Maybe thats ok if you dont plan on selling it, but one thing about the most respected small developers, they seem to embrace the ideas of their user base.

Try not looking at the criticisms as complaining, but as constructive criticism, from people who really like your work and are hopeful that it will be better. Of course not all issues will be resolved, but when the overwhelming majority says something makes sense, then it probably does.

Congratulations on Infinity. I like it as well. I'll probably have a couple criticisms after ive had a few days to use it, but again, like most others, im just hoping for the best with this plugin.
To be honest, today there are 1458 people (registered) using the plugin, 4 days online ...
At day two my webserver was down 1 hour.
Those that filled in their email will get future releases and updates.
At some forums people say I will use the emails to spam them.. And because of that idea the complete forum is negative about the plugin. There is no reason to spam people, because I hate spam as well.

I will be personally attacked because my name is on the plugin if they are spammed.
To them I say, Think Again. :ud:

You see, people are manipulated to easy. :wink: (EDIT) Before trying it out!!! (EDIT)
The plugin is free, tested against payable versions like W...s, So..ox Ox..ord and other big software houses.
I'm really sure my plugin can sound better on some material, because I heard it with my ears and have seen the results on wav files.

So I actually don't care too much about what people say on the net.
The point is that those that use it correctly, will respect the plugin above other plugins.
If I can make it better I will.

If people donate enough, I am able to pay some programmers to help me out much faster.
It's not easy to write in C++ on all systems. I'm working on a Mac version at the moment and my beta test team is small. (5 people - Win 32/64bit and mac OS version users) So yes, I'm a small programmer. But I'm sure we will get there at some point.

2 years ago I was dreaming about this plugin. I wrote a 32bit version for my studio setup (Windows XP)
At some point someone heard the results as well and told me, the Infinity is awesome.
Asked me a copy, made it free for everyone. Developed my own modded version as well..

Will use that later to bring out the Deluxe Infinity.

With the Deluxe version I can fatten up Bass sounds and find the right character in them.
Use Compressor and Sub Harmonic selector separate.
Fast/slow attack and release behavior selection with switch.
Extra knob for output gain + input boost switch +3db.

Personally I like to have the input volume at 3/4, attack and release around 2.
Tube 3/4, Original (parallel) around 6,5 and settings for Sub Harmonics till I have a subtle volume in bass but really fat umph. When A/B (on, off) the unit. It's always great :)
Last edited by frederickalonso on Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ultrasonic wrote:
I think it is ALWAYS the developer's decision how a plugin should look or operate.
If a dev wants to stay small thats fine, but when there are issues that make the plugin uncomfortable to use, and people are echoing it, fix it or dont sell it. Its up to you.
We're still talking about FREE stuff here, right?
Ultrasonic wrote:
and users seem to have the idea that, because they are 'small' developers, they can impose any request on the dev and he should always bow to their wishes. KVR is littered with 'free stuff discussions' where developers have to fight every little decision they make and are even called 'bad developers' if they tend do stay their ground. This shouldn't be that way.
Im not seeing any of that revolving around this discussion. The only thing ive seen were realistic explanations that have been addressed, and for good reason..Sounds to me like your arguments are based off past experiences and not relevant to this discussion.
No, my arguments where based on YOUR post, that is why I replied to YOUR post. And yes, too much of that has been going on here on KVR, both lately and in the past.
Ultrasonic wrote:
No it does not. The majority doesn't have a clue what goes into developing this stuff and request things without any real substantiation of their ideas and understanding of what's involved in such a decision, other then 'I want that'.
Youre just sounding like fredrick's cheerleader at this point. Arguing for the sake of arguing.
That is the typical response when someone doesn't have a real response to what was stated. What I said still holds.
Ultrasonic wrote:Trust me on this, if the majority says knobs are too hard to turn or writing is too hard to read, there might be something to it.
Not if the developer thinks otherwise. He might have a different view based on whatever... but if he disagrees with the comments then that is his prerogative. If you don't like that, go build your own plugin.
Ultrasonic wrote:
Not always 'better' but in most cases 'the way I want it'. Even with free stuff many users seem to have some strange feeling of entitlement.
People are allowed to express their thoughts. ESPECIALLY when it has been posted on a public DISCUSSION forum. Accusing people, who have an interest in seeing the plugin work well, of being selfish and entitled, is something YOU'VE created in YOUR mind..
Seriously? You think this is something I imagine? You registered here, like something two years ago and have 58 posts to your name, so you have obviously not been very active in discussions. I've been here for close to a decade and a half, but you think you can lecture me on what goes on here on KVR :dog:

I think the dev done a great job here and yes, people should be thankful for him to give his work away for free. If you don't like the font, deal with it or simply don't use the plugin. It's not like you paid money for it. I don't see why the dev should change something he deems in perfect order, because you think otherwise.

No need to drag this further and derail this thread. I'm done with this.
CrimsonWarlock aka TechnoGremlin, using Reaper and a fine selection of freeware plugins.

Ragnarök VST-synthesizer co-creator with Full Bucket

The sense of entitlement people have with a FREE plugin amazes me! I downloaded it and I don't think it suits my SUBJECTIVE tastes. But I am thankful to the developer for his many hours of work. No-one who decides to sit down and create anything is beholden to someone else's opinion whether they charge for the result or not. That is the point of creativity, isn't it?

beeny wrote:The sense of entitlement people have with a FREE plugin amazes me! I downloaded it and I don't think it suits my SUBJECTIVE tastes. But I am thankful to the developer for his many hours of work. No-one who decides to sit down and create anything is beholden to someone else's opinion whether they charge for the result or not. That is the point of creativity, isn't it?
+10

I acknowledge the hard work, time and dedication, and I am eternally thankful for this gift.
I just pointed out a thing that makes it unusable for me, and it has now been fixed.
I am happy, I see others are happy, what's wrong with that?

Cheers
It's easy if you know how

lesha wrote:I acknowledge the hard work, time and dedication, and I am eternally thankful for this gift.
I just pointed out a thing that makes it unusable for me, and it has now been fixed.
I am happy, I see others are happy, what's wrong with that?

Cheers
Sorry lesha, didn't mean to implicate you in my rant. Your posts have been totally reasonable. It was actually Ultrasonic's posts that I was referring to. Should have quoted, sorry. I've got no issue with making requests or expressing opinions. I just don't think it's fair when people consider their opinions absolute truths.

:hug:
It's easy if you know how

Seriously? You think this is something I imagine? You registered here, like something two years ago and have 58 posts to your name, so you have obviously not been very active in discussions. I've been here for close to a decade and a half, but you think you can lecture me on what goes on here on KVR :dog:
There ya go again. You just believe everything you read, and think that all of your answers can be found in 5 minutes on the internet, and that things work no other way other than what is in your mind. :tu: Ive been here longer than you, but the difference is, i dont think that that makes me better than anyone else, or above being lectured by anyone thats been here less time than i have.
I think the dev done a great job here and yes, people should be thankful for him to give his work away for free. If you don't like the font, deal with it or simply don't use the plugin. It's not like you paid money for it. I don't see why the dev should change something he deems in perfect order, because you think otherwise.
Right, its just me...right, use the plugin, but you are forbidden to have an opinion :clap:
No need to drag this further and derail this thread. I'm done with this
It would have been best if you had never trolled in.

I appreciate your efforts man. If i find the plugin is something i will continue to use, i will donate for sure.

Im enjoying the little time ive had with it, but i think its important to note that if you are going to release something publicly, and advertise something publicly, you should expect public criticism. It wont all be bad thankfully, but putting something out for everyone to use, wanting their feedback, and then offering resistance about the improvements they hope to see....well it just doesnt work.

The ones here assuming the role of your guard dogs are no help to your brand at all. If they REALLY cared about what you were doing, they would let people have their say, and fade away. Instead they would rather drag your product name thru the mud, and create a bunch of drama, by arguing with people for having an opinion.

Anyway, we are all passionate, and want the best tools we can get. Thank you for this.
There ya have it...

I don't understand why everyone's getting their knickers in a twist here. The feedback was about useability - I'm sure developers appreciate that kind of feedback as it results in more users, hence more chance to sell the forthcoming commercial version - surely? There was no 'entitlement' attitude here as far as I could see. I'm very, very grateful to this dev - he's filled a gap in the free market for me (I know I'm a pro but that doesn't mean I'm earning all that well currently ;)) - it was icing on the cake to respond to the request that, imo, made useability infinitely better. If he hadn't bothered responding I would have still used it all the same as the sound is the important thing.
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

I don't see the problem.

I love critic from the people, that's why I made a V2 version after all.
They have made a good point on the knobs.

It's important to learn from the users as developer.

If many love and use the sound of the plugin and they can use it, I'm a happy men.
It all depends on the sound your after, the feeling you have with it.
I made it at first for myself because I needed a transparent compressor and something
that sounds like a real Thermionic in the low end and my own sort of mid - hi compression.

Many tracks that I master have issues with the low end.
So I didn't want to change the mid and high to much. (Original knob and Tube are part of this idea)
At the low end there is some sort of different compression going on like a multiband Compressor.
The fatter sound becomes more obvious if you put the Sweetness knob to LO.
You can overkill the mix.

I have some expensive plugins (bought some slate stuff myself, lost my iLok...)
And cannot use my 800€ plugins anymore. Nice is something else.
Many of the expensive plugins are in my eyes easy made, not what an analog EQ for example does as they promise. If I see all that "over" protection these days, fake promises .. It scares me off to buy them.

I have a lot analog gear and record a wet/dry sound from an EQ for example (if I would make a Pultec EQ VST clone).
After these recordings I invert the wet and dry sound on each other.
The result is what the gear added to your sound.

If you learn from these differences, you can make a very close sound from real analog gear in terms of digital developing. READ: Never the same, but close.
Analog has it's own life, a computer cannot change that fact.

At Infinity I used signals from expensive gear to make an algorithm for the drive, volume and tube effect.
So it will add something, that's sure.

Donations are always welcome, we can use it to pay good programmers and deliver the plugin for FREE on all platforms. Without donations it will take years for me to develop them.

I did not make it to get money after all.

Ultrasonic wrote: Ive been here longer than you
Wait... what :dog:

That puts your statements here pretty much into perspective.
beeny wrote:The sense of entitlement people have with a FREE plugin amazes me! I downloaded it and I don't think it suits my SUBJECTIVE tastes. But I am thankful to the developer for his many hours of work. No-one who decides to sit down and create anything is beholden to someone else's opinion whether they charge for the result or not. That is the point of creativity, isn't it?
This !
CrimsonWarlock aka TechnoGremlin, using Reaper and a fine selection of freeware plugins.

Ragnarök VST-synthesizer co-creator with Full Bucket

Just making this post to show my support to the dev.. :)

I always think of the rant before this song when i ... well, read threads like this :party: ^_^

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-0w9Wv8V6I
:hug:

Theres just a ton going on with this thing. So many sound variations that its going to take some more time to get to know this plugin.

Impression are still positive here, but i hope you find a way to implement A/B'ing of wet/dry sounds at identical volumes.

That modded version you speak of, is that something different than version 1?

That puts your statements here pretty much into perspective.
You said you were done trolling a little while back. If you dont have anything constructive to add i understand, but help us out and stop trying to think of real real cool stuff to say :clap: Thanks for your attention.
There ya have it...

Return to “Effects”