Martinic Scanner Vibrato [v1.4.0]

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Retro Pack Scanner Vibrato

Hi,

The Hammond B3 organ had a special (partly mechanical) chorus called a "scanner-vibrato". Because it is hard to get this exact effect out of a generic chorus I thought it would be nice to have a reasonably accurate dedicated plug-in. I believe such a plug-in is already included with Logic, but that is Mac only.

So here is a first version of Martinic Scanner Vibrato. It is a simple, one trick pony kind of plug-in, although you can tweak some aspects (speed, depth, mix), and it is stereo (the original was mono).

Free trial download:
http://www.martinic.com/scanner-vibrato/

Audio demos:
Vox Continental organ improvisation
Electric guitar dry/wet
Synth dry/wet
VB3 internal vs Martinic scanner-vibrato

I plan to release this as a commercial plug-in for Windows and Mac OS X. Because this is a prerelease it is still somewhat rough, and although I would like to keep things simple, I might be persuaded to add features on demand. This is the current known issues/to-do list:
  • Fix clicks/pops/zipper noise on parameter changes. [Done in v0.9.2 beta.]
  • Replace preliminary GUI. [Done in v0.9.0 beta.]
  • Could be more CPU friendly (need to optimise). [Done in 1.0.0 RC1.]
  • Maybe add MIDI learn, although I guess I could assume that the host already handles this.
  • Maybe add host tempo sync, although I peronsally can live without it.
Last edited by Tale on Fri Dec 22, 2023 10:45 am, edited 16 times in total.

I'll check this out this week. I love Combo Model V and F. Just great plugins that are stable and work exactly as advertised.

You say this is stereo, while the original was mono. Any chance of making a mono mode?

Also, does this indicate that work might be happening on a B3 plugin?

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:You say this is stereo, while the original was mono. Any chance of making a mono mode?
Actually it already does mono if you set the width knob to 0%.
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:Also, does this indicate that work might be happening on a B3 plugin?
Not really, but some day maybe... I guess I would first have to make a really good Leslie sim.

I'm still to demo, so didn't even realize there was a width knob (though there it is in your post), thanks!
Tale wrote:
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:Also, does this indicate that work might be happening on a B3 plugin?
Not really, but some day maybe... I guess I would first have to make a really good Leslie sim.
Yeah, that seems to be the hardest part to get right. It's not even just doing a simulation of a Leslie, on top of it you need to model the microphones and preamps too (though maybe impulse responses could fill in there).

I thought the PSP one was kind of neat, but not at the CPU it uses, but at least they thought to model the noise. Not sure how accurate it is based on my limited time demoing it, but I thought it sounded pretty darn good. The Melda one is popular here, but didn't wow me enough to buy. So right now I use the Amplitube 3 Leslie or the one in VB3. If you could do better than what's already out there, I'd be all in.

I really like the "New 147" in VB3, but I haven't tried PSP L'otary yet; maybe I should.

I have just uploaded v0.8.1 alpha of Scanner Vibrato. The Audio Units plug-in in the previous version didn't work at all, oops! :oops:

Change:
  • [Mac OS X] Fixed Audio Units version.
Note that I have also updated the Windows version, although I haven't actually made any changes to it except the version number (i.e. no need to update if you are on Windows).

Hello !

I just downloaded your plug-in, and I really like how it sounds on my synths, but I have a question : Is it normal that every 30 seconds or so, the plug-in goes mad ? Is it a way to avoid people from using it while it's not finished or just a bug on my configuration ?

-jrmb-

jrmb wrote:I just downloaded your plug-in, and I really like how it sounds on my synths, but I have a question : Is it normal that every 30 seconds or so, the plug-in goes mad ? Is it a way to avoid people from using it while it's not finished or just a bug on my configuration ?
Thanks for testing. Yeah, the noise burst and spinning vibrato selector knob are because the plug-in is running in demo mode.

PSP L'otary is the one. Melda's Mvintage is also close.
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

Tale wrote:
jrmb wrote:I just downloaded your plug-in, and I really like how it sounds on my synths, but I have a question : Is it normal that every 30 seconds or so, the plug-in goes mad ? Is it a way to avoid people from using it while it's not finished or just a bug on my configuration ?
Thanks for testing. Yeah, the noise burst and spinning vibrato selector knob are because the plug-in is running in demo mode.
Lame :drunk:
[Insert Signature Here]

We have just updated Vibrato Scanner to v0.9.0 beta.

Changes:
  • New interface design by Shaun Ellwood/Decoder Design.
  • Removed "spinning" vibrato/chorus selector during demo mode noise burst.
  • Reduced demo mode noise burst frequency to once every 60 seconds.

Nice UI!

This VST is just fantastic, and I say that as owner of XILS LX122 and PSP Lotary.

WHEN is this going to be commercially available, for how many quid, and please provide purchase / license details.

I don't need all leslie or vibrato sounds; I find I use only two or three most times, so this CPU-lite Martinic unit is the best for my more daily needs.

I've loved the Combos V and F all along as well, so this something new from Tale makes so much sense.

FEATURE REQUEST: I don't want to mess up the authentic look of the GUI, but this thing really needs some easy way to click once quickly to go from slow to fast and vice versa. This is possibly the best feature of the PSP unit. Also, you need to include some automatic assignment feature, so that those of us using controller keyboards will have our Mod Wheels immediately and automatically connected to this speed control. Hope you understand these requests, as this may influence the sale of the unit.

Thanks for great inventions and best wishes!

We have just (finally) updated Scanner Vibrato to v1.0.0 RC1.

Changes:
  • Implemented license key.
  • Subtly improved analog delay line accuracy.
  • Implemented parameter smoothing.
  • Minor optimisations/fixes.
To-do:
  • Implement installer, write manual.
Scanner Vibrato is going to cost $19.50 upon introduction, the full price will be $39.00. For those who don't want to wait until the final v1.0.0, you can now buy a license via our FastSpring Store.

Because the current version is still a Release Candidate (and not the final v1.0.0), you will get an early adopter discount of an additional 10% if you use the coupon code APRIL1.

I'm one of 'those who don't want to wait', so I bought Scanner Vibrato right off the bat.

It's one of a kind gem and a given if you're into organs.

On my Mac, since there was no installer in the v1.0.0-rc1 download, the folders to hold the license weren't automatically created. In user/Library/Application Support, I had to add Martinic/Scanner Vibrato and put the license txt file in the Scanner Vibrato folder.

/Joachim
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

Return to “Effects”