AudioThing releases Fog Convolver - v1.5.1 - True Stereo!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Fog Convolver

Krakatau wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 7:23 am If you don't mind, i have a major suggestion to submit to you, inspired by my own experience of so to say exotic impulse responses , still unedited AFAIK ....technically it means the implementation of half-steps by half-steps resampling option,

+ 1 octave to -1 octave for instance....this with a "fine tune" option

This might be a way to catch by ear, fine-tune and transpose chromatically ringtones and resonances induced (often unpredictably) by much of exotic soundfiles used as IR ... So in general any soundsources you want to use as a substitute at some degree, for sympathetic resonances ?

_________

perhaps another feature for the another future, noticing the increasing flexibility of the time-stretch engines inside DAW (like the new features of the sampling engine in Logic 10.5), the implementation of this feature applied to IR samples ?
I'm not sure I get exactly what you mean. The current Pitch algorithm is a simple resampling from half speed to 8x faster, but of course, it also changes the length of the sample.

For a time-stretch algorithm, I'll have to check with external commerical libraries, might be interesting but it's not a big priority for now.
AudioThing (VST, AU, AAX, CLAP Plugins)
Instagram | Twitter | Discord Server

audiothing wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 2:58 pmI'm not sure I get exactly what you mean. The current Pitch algorithm is a simple resampling from half speed to 8x faster, but of course, it also changes the length of the sample.
Well... :oops:
... i assume it's something like 0.5X, 1X, 2X, 4x, 8x right ?
so virtually from one octave down to 4 octaves up ?

what i meant would be in addition to this a chromatic half-step by half-step transposition from one octave (up or down) to another...
...plus if not too unconcievable for IR design a fine tune option, if you're looking tu use an IR as something similar to a sympathetic string when you got a strong resonance you might want to catch and keep, ...and then transposed to different tones when you need that resonance to match another scale predictably

this is the idea...
Last edited by Krakatau on Fri May 15, 2020 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

The new settings file that Audio Thing sent me did the trick. Really enjoying this - M4L's convolution reverb hangs on me every so often and Reverberate 2 was pretty user unfriendly.

Logic Space Designer is incredibly nice, of course, but a bit hard to use in Ableton.

miloszz wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 7:42 pm M4L's convolution reverb hangs on me every so often ...
Good to know. I've always had problems with that myself. Sounds great but too unstable.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Thanks Audio Thing for the upcoming update, Fog is a convolution king and pure joy to use :tu:

@audiothing, you haven't fulfilled your promise of posting some screenshots of the upcoming update/upgrade :hyper: :hihi:

audiothing wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 2:58 pmI'm not sure I get exactly what you mean. The current Pitch algorithm is a simple resampling from half speed to 8x faster, but of course, it also changes the length of the sample.
Also

...this transposition feature might be useful for such library like this one, initially tuned in C Major, if you want to transpose it...even without time correction !

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8999uljw52gty ... r.zip?dl=0

Krakatau wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 6:30 pm

what i meant would be in addition to this a chromatic half-step by half-step transposition from one octave (up or down) to another...
...plus if not too unconcievable for IR design a fine tune option, if you're looking tu use an IR as something similar to a sympathetic string when you got a strong resonance you might want to catch and keep, ...and then transposed to different tones when you need that resonance to match another scale predictably

this is the idea...
A fine tune control might be nice, but please note that with convolution, every tiny change in the IR needs to be recalculated, so it will never be a real-time change.

Neon Breath wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 12:20 am Thanks Audio Thing for the upcoming update, Fog is a convolution king and pure joy to use :tu:
Thank you! :D
BeeDog wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 7:02 am @audiothing, you haven't fulfilled your promise of posting some screenshots of the upcoming update/upgrade :hyper: :hihi:
Oh, I've posted something in the previous page: viewtopic.php?p=7747328#p7747328
It won't be a major layout change, color schemes and the general feel will be the same. But we are now limiting the use of PNGs in favor or vector graphic, including the font (as our latest releases and updates).

This is still work in progress:
New waveform monitor with the possibility to add a photo to each IR if you don't care about the waveform :) Also added a phase invert button.
The EQ is a 5-band with analyzer.

Excellent !

audiothing wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 12:54 pm
This is still work in progress:
The EQ is a 5-band with analyzer.
Holly c!! :hyper:

audiothing wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 12:39 pm
Krakatau wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 6:30 pm

this is the idea...
A fine tune control might be nice, but please note that with convolution, every tiny change in the IR needs to be recalculated, so it will never be a real-time change.
I'm aware of it don't worry , not unsensible too underline it though
...what i had in mind was this as addition to a chromatic half-steps transpositions, make sense if you want keep harmony correlations, because i'm still thinking that calibrated exotic IRs is a second to none kind of effect that may concern both composer and sounds engineer

audiothing wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 2:54 pm
miloszz wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 12:40 am Anyone having any luck with this on Catalina? When I try to add IRs (either factory banks or my own IRs) to the library, nothing happens. Not sure if there's something I'm missing. (I sent a message to support but it's the middle of the night in Ireland so I thought I'd see if any users have tried.)
I've replied to your ticket, but just in case this should probably fix any permission issues:
Check if you have this folder/file:

Code: Select all

/Users/YOURUSERNAME/Music/Audio Music Apps/AudioThing/Presets/FogConvolver/settings.ats
If not, create each folder and create the file settings.ats with this content:

Code: Select all

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<FogConvolver_GENERAL_SETTINGS>
  <MAINSETTINGS HeadSize="1024" HeadAuto="1" TailSize="8192" AutoGain="1" FastLoad="1"
                MouseRelease="1" HardClip="0" LoadIRonly="0" ShowFades="1" ShowInfo="1"
                ShowBrowser="1" Units="1"/>
  <BANKS Paths=""/>
</FogConvolver_GENERAL_SETTINGS>
If you see the folders/file, make sure you have the right permissions. Right-click on the FogConvolver folder and choose Get Info. Under Sharing & Permissions, add Read & Write to your user.
Maybe related to this issue, I just noticed that Fog Convolver installs to a different location on a Mac than the other recently updated plugins. Outer Space and Wave Box for example install their licenses, presets and settings inside /Users/Shared/AudioThing but the 1.6 beta of Fog Convolver installs its licenses, presets, and settings inside /Users/{username}/Music/Audio Music Apps/AudioThing

It would be nice for the OCD among us if Fog Convolver used the same location as Outer Space and Wave Box :D

trackbout wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 7:09 pmMaybe related to this issue, I just noticed that Fog Convolver installs to a different location on a Mac than the other recently updated plugins. Outer Space and Wave Box for example install their licenses, presets and settings inside /Users/Shared/AudioThing but the 1.6 beta of Fog Convolver installs its licenses, presets, and settings inside /Users/{username}/Music/Audio Music Apps/AudioThing

It would be nice for the OCD among us if Fog Convolver used the same location as Outer Space and Wave Box :D
Fog Convolver still uses our old framework which installed data to the Audio Music Apps folder. Unfortunately, to change that, it would require too much work as everything is integrated with the browser (which was written more than 5 years ago :o ).
On other plugins (like Wave Box) updating the framework was much easier as there's no browser involved.

Anyway, all our recent updates and releases use the public/shared folder.

audiothing wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 5:44 pm
trackbout wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 7:09 pmMaybe related to this issue, I just noticed that Fog Convolver installs to a different location on a Mac than the other recently updated plugins. Outer Space and Wave Box for example install their licenses, presets and settings inside /Users/Shared/AudioThing but the 1.6 beta of Fog Convolver installs its licenses, presets, and settings inside /Users/{username}/Music/Audio Music Apps/AudioThing

Fog Convolver still uses our old framework which installed data to the Audio Music Apps folder. Unfortunately, to change that, it would require too much work as everything is integrated with the browser (which was written more than 5 years ago :o ).
On other plugins (like Wave Box) updating the framework was much easier as there's no browser involved.

Anyway, all our recent updates and releases use the public/shared folder.
Got it, that makes sense then all good.

Return to “Effects”