FAS-FX REVERB

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Effects discussion
firepile
KVRian
857 posts since 19 Aug, 2009

Post Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:58 am

Just announced: http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/a ... rb.106924/

Image

FAS-FX Reverb is an exquisite reverb plugin which, in the continuing tradition of Fractal Audio Systems, puts sound quality above all else. Based on the highly-acclaimed Reverb algorithms from the legendary Axe-Fx II guitar processor, FAS-FX reverb takes quality to the next level*. By utilizing the full resources of your DAW the plugin can create some truly spectacular reverbs—from a whisper of natural ambience, to sophisticated real environments, to vintage springs and plates, to the dreamy infinity of space, you'll find it all here.

FAS-FX Reverb is remarkably easy to use, with features designed specifically for the way modern professionals record and mix. Our expert UI team worked with a pro panel of Fractal Audio endorsers, artists, engineers, and producers—including multiple Grammy winners—to define the ultimate reverb experience. Flexible, precise, and intuitive, it does exactly what you need while staying out of your way to avoid disrupting the creative flow.
CodeFN42 - Free VST MIDI Plugins & More

ObsoleteAcc99
Banned
22486 posts since 5 Sep, 2001

Re: FAS-FX REVERB

Post Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:56 am

wow all the guys at the fractal forum are going nuts over this basically in all but words calling it the holy grail of verbs.

for that price it better be serious competition to the exponential stuff.

They are also saying there is no demo.. and yet it's ilok protected *scratches head*. And expensive (currently 199 normally 299)

but i can't lie i'm curious!

Chandlerhimself
KVRian
998 posts since 19 Dec, 2013 from Japan

Re: FAS-FX REVERB

Post Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:20 pm

I'm kind of baffled by it too. So far I haven't heard any demos, it has ilok and it really expensive for a reverb. In 2015 when we have amazingly clean sounding reverbs like acon verberate going for $100 and spectacular sounding Valhalla verbs going for $50 I don't understand the pricing. Maybe once demos come out I'll change my mind, but for that price it better sound mind blowingly good. You could buy Valhalla plate, room, vintage verb and shimmer for that price.

monkeymanx
KVRian
671 posts since 12 Aug, 2005

Re: FAS-FX REVERB

Post Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:43 am

Chandlerhimself wrote:I'm kind of baffled by it too. So far I haven't heard any demos, it has ilok and it really expensive for a reverb. In 2015 when we have amazingly clean sounding reverbs like acon verberate going for $100 and spectacular sounding Valhalla verbs going for $50 I don't understand the pricing. Maybe once demos come out I'll change my mind, but for that price it better sound mind blowingly good. You could buy Valhalla plate, room, vintage verb and shimmer for that price.
Thing is if it includes all the reverbs from the Axe FX II it pretty much covers all the different types of reverbs I believe. So in theory it would be equivalent to buying all the Valhalla reverbs.

I wonder what kind of latency is introduced for the processing since the Axe FX II is all real time processing I believe.

ObsoleteAcc99
Banned
22486 posts since 5 Sep, 2001

Re: FAS-FX REVERB

Post Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:48 am

most reverb plugins unless convolution based are zero latency in to out. So i doubt it will have latency, and if it does, it surely couldn't be more than a few samples. A tiny bit of latency doesn't really matter on verbs anyway, waves have a fixed latency of 11ms on their convolution stuff.. just use it on a buss and counteract the 11ms by subtracting it from the pre delay you desire.

Or it could have delay and actually report it to the DAW which would then compensate with PDC.

That said this is all wild speculation without a demo.

Every ilok plugin should have a demo without question (and every single one i know of does besides this and really huge sample libraries like east west hollywood strings lol).

And there shouldn't be a delay or a "we are working on it" because with ilok demos the demo installer IS the full installer.

Chandlerhimself
KVRian
998 posts since 19 Dec, 2013 from Japan

Re: FAS-FX REVERB

Post Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:58 am

monkeymanx wrote: Thing is if it includes all the reverbs from the Axe FX II it pretty much covers all the different types of reverbs I believe. So in theory it would be equivalent to buying all the Valhalla reverbs.

I wonder what kind of latency is introduced for the processing since the Axe FX II is all real time processing I believe.
It says there are 7 algorithms in it, which isn't bad, but it isn't spectacular either. Valhalla plate has 7 algo too and it's just a plate reverb. ValhallaVintage has 15. I'm not saying it's a terrible reverb, but to be honest for $200 I expect it to either sound better than everything else on the market or have some unique features no other reverb has. So far I haven't seen that from this plugin, but I think we should all give it a chance and wait until more audio demos come out.

ObsoleteAcc99
Banned
22486 posts since 5 Sep, 2001

Re: FAS-FX REVERB

Post Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:12 am

Chandlerhimself wrote:
monkeymanx wrote: Thing is if it includes all the reverbs from the Axe FX II it pretty much covers all the different types of reverbs I believe. So in theory it would be equivalent to buying all the Valhalla reverbs.

I wonder what kind of latency is introduced for the processing since the Axe FX II is all real time processing I believe.
It says there are 7 algorithms in it, which isn't bad, but it isn't spectacular either. Valhalla plate has 7 algo too and it's just a plate reverb. ValhallaVintage has 15. I'm not saying it's a terrible reverb, but to be honest for $200 I expect it to either sound better than everything else on the market or have some unique features no other reverb has. So far I haven't seen that from this plugin, but I think we should all give it a chance and wait until more audio demos come out.

and to be fair it's normally a $300 verb, 200 is intro,

It has incredibly stiff competition for that money.

monkeymanx
KVRian
671 posts since 12 Aug, 2005

Re: FAS-FX REVERB

Post Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:55 am

There definitely is a lot of competition now. I don't know exactly what algorithms are included in the FAS one either. Wonder if they have a shimmer effect in there too. There really doesn't seem to be any in depth information on their site at this time.

It's just like anything else though with FAS. The AXE FX II is a great unit and does a lot of great things but at a price. It's built in effects are very good and versatile. It reminds me of having a stand alone unit for a bunch of good VST effects.

Heartfeltdawn
KVRist
214 posts since 4 Oct, 2014

Re: FAS-FX REVERB

Post Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:59 am

monkeymanx wrote:There definitely is a lot of competition now. I don't know exactly what algorithms are included in the FAS one either. Wonder if they have a shimmer effect in there too. There really doesn't seem to be any in depth information on their site at this time.

It's just like anything else though with FAS. The AXE FX II is a great unit and does a lot of great things but at a price. It's built in effects are very good and versatile. It reminds me of having a stand alone unit for a bunch of good VST effects.
A standalone unit that can't do true stereo though. Ouch.

m@
KVRer
5 posts since 13 Feb, 2012

Re: FAS-FX REVERB

Post Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:42 pm

Heartfeltdawn wrote:A standalone unit that can't do true stereo though. Ouch.
Just found this while searching in Google for something else. Of course the Axe-Fx II can do true stereo reverbs. Doing so simply means using two reverb blocks instead of one.

crystalmsc
KVRist
444 posts since 19 Aug, 2012

Re: FAS-FX REVERB

Post Sat May 20, 2017 12:23 am

This is my go to guitar reverb which provides the lushest endless reverb, it on sale now for $99
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

Den*
KVRist
267 posts since 7 Apr, 2015

Re: FAS-FX REVERB

Post Sat May 20, 2017 1:18 am


User avatar
VariKusBrainZ
KVRAF
8738 posts since 16 Dec, 2002

Re: FAS-FX REVERB

Post Sat May 20, 2017 1:36 am

Didn't even realise they released a Vst !

I don't remember ever reading about it here, besides this thread.

If it's the dogs danglies how come no gushing praise ?

How does it compare to the other reverb big boys?

I read it has a low Cpu hit

User avatar
raysaul
KVRist
70 posts since 15 Jan, 2017

Re: FAS-FX REVERB

Post Sat May 20, 2017 2:11 am

So there's no trial for this reverb?

Considering the price, there should be one, IMO.

jens
KVRAF
19093 posts since 12 Jul, 2003 from West Caprazumia

Re: FAS-FX REVERB

Post Sat May 20, 2017 3:57 am

Den* wrote:Amazing reverb!
sounds much too bright for my taste in this video... (but it's the guitar sound itself too)
hard to judge with a toothache inducing example such as this.

Nice playing though...
" It is a measurable fact. Not my opinion. And not even subtle. If you can't hear difference in tail between Valhalla and VSR reverb tail then again change your job dude." kmonkey

Return to “Effects”