Cheaper alternatives to Waves NLS?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

just to be clear - i'm not bashing Quinto's plugins - i too think they are first rate. i just think that Quinto the person exists in a parallel reality, and one has to know what one's getting into if one buys his plugins - you have to be prepared for constant frustrations and promises that are almost never fulfilled on time, if at all.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

Hm, I actually have never been understanding what is that Crosstalk about. Some people said it should have been eliminated, some recommended to add.
TEKing66 wrote:Just noticed that NLS is on sale right now for $99.
:o at least yesterday didn`t see it on their site. cool :tu:

"crosstalk" in the sense in which it appears in Satson/Britson/VCC is simply stereo crossfeed (left channel blended into right, right into left). "crosstalk" in the sense in which it appears in StripBus is pretty much "you hear all of your channels in all of your other channels" - drums bleeds into guitars, guitars bleed into vocals, etc.

of course, crosstalk can be switched off in Satson/Britson, in which case you're pretty much left with saturation (same with StripBus, although it also models console headroom, which isn't found in other plugins). there's no "special summing" going on in Britson/Satson/VCC. i am not sure if that's the case with NLS and bx console - some say they bypass the DAW completely, some say they aren't any different from other console plugins, and the only difference is that they offer subtle saturation variance on different channels. both demos expired for me, so i can't test it now.

that said, i find it hard to believe that they do, in fact, bypass the DAW summing. if that were the case, they would have to either silence the output after the NLS channel, and feed it all into the bus through some out-of-band communication with the bus; or it would have to ignore all the FX you put after NLS channel. neither of those are happening AFAIK, so i don't think they too offer some sort of magic summing algorithm. at the end of the day, bus is still a stereo bus, and does the same stereo summing thing other plugins do.
Last edited by Burillo on Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

Understood, thanks a lot!

to summarize, if you're after the "summing" specifically, IVGI can pretty much do that already - there is nothing in the other plugins that IVGI can't already do. the advantages really come from channel grouping (which you can kinda achieve through REAPER parameter linking, but it's a pain in the ass to set up) and the overall workflow. whether you like the particular sound of any given plugin (i.e. maybe you'll like Britson or NLS saturation more than IVGI) - that's a whole other question, so it makes sense to try the different ones out only for that reason.

Yes, i`ll try them all a bit later :phones:

Burillo wrote:i just think that Quinto the person exists in a parallel reality
Can't argue with that :D
A bit fried in the higher freqs

Burillo wrote: ... i don't think Slick HDR is a console emulation per se - more like some kind of sophisticated dynamics processor. i never got into it though, it seems like a black box.
Yeah, except for Tessla Pro (which emulates console style saturation), these Variety of Sound plugins are all not really emulating console hardware. But they are giving you similiar analog qualities if used in conjunction. To be honest, Slick HDR was the only VOS plugin that never did anything to me - I also felt like you, like it was a black box. But it was recently recommended to me by a fellow KVRian, who said that it's part of his console emulation signal chain and I want to give it another shot soon.

I almost always put Slick HDR on master buss, and tweak a little. it`s definitely not a saturation or nothing about console :D It`s more like Flux Bitter Sweet, transient designer. I always have a hard choice to choose between them :)
SlickEQ has some saturation algorithms, though.
Variety of sound are good vst`s but I use them seldom mostly because they are 32 bits

i hate the waves console emu, i hate the metering (it doesn't follow nor have options for the -18dbfs alignment protocol which is what i use with satson or psp meters), and i hate the sound (far too obvious).

I have used slate vcc for years and it's the only slate plugin i will never ever ever ever sell in my lifetime (unless i eventually break down and go for the sub). It's something that you use from the start just by having it "on" at it's default settings, mix into it, then take it off and see what the mix loses. Cohesion. Depth.

But if you like the waves as Teking is saying it's $99 now so around $84 at a reseller.

Whichever one you choose, just be sure to have it permanently on your template. It's not something you add after. For example, if you were using hardware synths through a desk, you'd first be hearing the synth before any other processing, through the desk.

I am not a fan of satson's sound but prefer it to waves and definitely use it for metering and gain staging all over the place (effect off). Haven't tried britson or stripbus. Many people adore and use SDRR from klanghelm :)

There really aren't any other options are there are there.. hmm... pretty un saturated market there.

Ok, then, I`ll keep it in minde, thanks!
For gain Staging I usually use Hornet VU Meter. Works great :tu:
Strange, I didn`t know about NLS not to have -18db calibration :?

anti_phase wrote:Ok, then, I`ll keep it in minde, thanks!

when i last tested it it was digital peak metering exactly at the level of the daw's but with a needle. um, pointless imo.

Hornet really do make some incredible bargains hey.

anti-phase, what sort of music do you do? Waves have the redd on special which i actually find to be a very interesting plugin and is also a console emulator. If you do rock or pop i think it has a pretty decent sound actually. Demoed it recently. $79 at waves.com usually like 249 or something.
For edm though, no way. For that, britson (neve) or vcc which i know you don't want due to ilok (but i can't help mentioning it cause slate nailed that one )

TheoM wrote:
anti_phase wrote:Ok, then, I`ll keep it in minde, thanks!

when i last tested it it was digital peak metering exactly at the level of the daw's but with a needle. um, pointless imo.

Hornet really do make some incredible bargains hey.
hm, don`t understand but I get -18db RMS automatically just pressing the button (0, +1 or +2), that`s what I like.

For myself I do metal with some synthy sounds. Sometimes some friends of friends hire me to mix them. That is usually pop\hip hop.

hmm can you show me on nls? i am checking out the pics and can't find a 1 or 2 button.

It seems the same as when i tested it the day it was released.

Then again it doesn't really matter does it, if it works for you and you like the sound ;)

Return to “Effects”