Zynaptiq Pitchmap?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi Everyone,

I see this is on sale until March 31st. Does anyone have experience using this? How does it compare to Melodyne (other than being significantly less expensive at the moment)? I would like to primarily use this to extract vocals from mixed audio to make my own cover versions (for home use only) - can this be done successfully with Pitchmap? I plan to try the demo, of course, but I was wondering what the experience of others has been.

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Pitchmap is more of a real-time plugin ....? I think ?

at any rate, I'm also interested in this topic.

subscribed.

Also interested in this but primarily more as a sound design tool.

I tried to find audio demos for it to no avail, I have a demo copy here now and will test it asap.

1. The few Pitchmap videos I saw did not seem to me that the results were all that musical.
Maybe I just did not see the right video.

2. I would be more interested if the variations were much more different than the original.
Perhaps another plugin does this better?

My interest is to see what I can do in the ambient genre.
What can Pitchmap do with symphonic music.

If I can get beyond these two points I would buy at the sale price!

On the JRR Shop product page for Pitchmap, the following is listed (and I believe this is copied from Zynaptiq).

How PITCHMAP Is Different

So how does PITCHMAP compare to other pitch processing products, like Celemony's Melodyne Editor or Antares' Auto Tune? In a nut-shell: it doesn't. They have different applications and strengths, and complement each other nicely. In simplified words:
If you need to tune a solo vocal take or other monophonic instrument, use Auto Tune.
If you need to fine-tune or manipulate a single but polyphonic instrument, or a section of instruments, and using off-line editing doesn't break your workflow, use Melodyne.
If you need to tune or change the pitches of a full mix or other complex polyphonic signal in real-time and under MIDI control, while retaining all the transient crispness of any percussive elements, or if you want to create far-out sounds, or if you want to try out different harmonies on your loops and recordings from within the creative, musical workflow....use PITCHMAP.

Depending on your field of work, you may want to have all three of them. So grab a copy of PITCHMAP and complete your pitch processing toolkit!
I watched the videos too and it looks like this does a great job of ignoring atonal sounds (if directed??) and then changing harmonic content on the fly.

I'm also very curious how this could be used for sound design.

It also seems like this would be great for composing as you could easily create key changes on the fly as a way to hear how different things work before actually making the changes. To me this seems to be the strength of the plugin vs any sound design use.

***edited to change chord changes to key changes***

It's pretty cool, here is a first experiment using one of my Iris scapes, basically one can create any tonality out of any other tonality at a high sound quality, various degrees of purity are possible, one can filter out/mute pitches from the original source, and then there is all the Midi stuff which I haven't checked yet. It's definitely a CPU monster but that was to be expected as we have a sort of Melodyne in real time, Melodyne 4 offers many more ways to treat/alter the harmonic structure and formants though, but it's not real time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6G3SJM-1iVQ

Sampleconstruct wrote:It's pretty cool, here is a first experiment using one of my Iris scapes, basically one can create any tonality out of any other tonality at a high sound quality, various degrees of purity are possible, one can filter out/mute pitches from the original source, and then there is all the Midi stuff which I haven't checked yet. It's definitely a CPU monster but that was to be expected as we have a sort of Melodyne in real time, Melodyne 4 offers many more ways to treat/alter the harmonic structure and formants though, but it's not real time.

Your videos are SO helpful. Thank you for them!

Wow - this is an orchestral backstage warmup I field-recorded before a concert, it's amazing what tonal textures one can coax out of anything really, I think I'll have to buy this...yes, most definitely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mf-IDFsFzaI

Sampleconstruct wrote:It's pretty cool, here is a first experiment using one of my Iris scapes, basically one can create any tonality out of any other tonality at a high sound quality, various degrees of purity are possible, one can filter out/mute pitches from the original source, and then there is all the Midi stuff which I haven't checked yet. It's definitely a CPU monster but that was to be expected as we have a sort of Melodyne in real time, Melodyne 4 offers many more ways to treat/alter the harmonic structure and formants though, but it's not real time.

Thanks, Simon! Would you be able to try a brief vocal extraction from a mixed audio source? Just curious how that would sound in your hands . . . .

I'm curious how it works on vocals too! Thanks for the videos.

My first thought upon seeing it: "Hey, someone made a lava lamp plugin!"

bharris22 wrote:

Thanks, Simon! Would you be able to try a brief vocal extraction from a mixed audio source? Just curious how that would sound in your hands . . . .
Just trying it on the live-recording of an aria, orchestra and soprano voice and the results are pretty meh I must say, but I'll experiment more...

Naenyn wrote: My first thought upon seeing it: "Hey, someone made a lava lamp plugin!"
LOL :D

Well, nothing I would use on classical music for realistic results, but that's not the point here, Pitchmap sounds rather/pretty/very nice in many scenarios and offers huge audio mangling possibilities for sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4tpxgU7GrQ

Simon thanks for the videos!
Opera? Loved it!
I am slowly changing my mind about Pitchmap.
Mangling is what I like about it but mangling in a pleasant musical way.

Return to “Effects”