Plugin that can measure phase response in degrees?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Is there a plugin that can graph phase response in degrees (-180 to +180)? For example, to examine the effects of an all-pass filter. The standalone Spectrafoo has a phase panel (pictured below) that can do this, but I've had no luck finding a plugin that can. Preferably OSX.

jackson881 wrote:Is there a plugin that can graph phase response in degrees (-180 to +180)? For example, to examine the effects of an all-pass filter. The standalone Spectrafoo has a phase panel (pictured below) that can do this, but I've had no luck finding a plugin that can. Preferably OSX.

from your topic its not clear what you really want to measure...because phase response is always relative, so you need at least 2 channels /in stereo you can measure L vs R, or with your allpass filter you can measure processed vs dry channel,...etc/

you can find some useful info in older topics like this:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=454118

A stereo phase "correlation" meter should do the trick! Keep in mind that in order to have any sensible meaning of phase, signals have to correlate in the first place (same freq, same harmonics).
Fabien from Tokyo Dawn Records

Check out my audio processors over at the Tokyo Dawn Labs!

The guy clearly wants to measure phase response of a plugin between input and output.

There are plenty of solutions for Windows, but no idea about Mac.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

vst plugin analizer (x32)is the only one i know,but it's a standalone aplication.
...want to know how to program great synth sounds,check my video tutorials: http://www.youtube.com/user/sergiofrias25

kvaca wrote:
jackson881 wrote:

you can find some useful info in older topics like this:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=454118
@kvaca
Thanks for the link.

Sorry if I wasn't clear. Yes, I'd like to measure the effects of an allpass filter. Dry vs processed.

I can't seem to find anything other than Spectrafoo that can measure and compare the inputs in degrees. It looks like you were looking for a similar type of analyzer in your thread. Did you ever find what you were looking for?

I seem to have found two Mac applications that do this: Spectra Foo & Smaart 7. I'm looking for a plugin as well. Even the apps are very expensive, if phase response is the only thing we are seeking. :/

http://www.audiomeasurements.com/?p=1056
Last edited by alienimplant on Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

ReaEQ might help. It won't show you phase response for other plugins but it does show its own.

I came across that, but I think it only works on Windows. Also, I really need a plugin that can measure the input and output of other plugins using send and receive instances. Someone really needs to make one of these. :)

I don't really know of any tools on Mac myself...

Understanding what happens to the phase of audio from plugin to plugin is great on an academic level. We can make better, informed decisions.

Just remember not to lose sight that it's how it sounds in the end that is important.

Phase shift only really becomes problem when a wave combines with another to form some cancellation issues. Phase cancellation can be exploited to strength too, it's not necessarily a bad thing. That's why its how it sounds in the end that is most important.

This will explain why it's important to have this tool as a plugin. Of course, you can survive without one, just as you can without any analysis tool. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efKabAQQsPQ

I've seen that vid before actually and quite like it.

However, you're overlooking some excruciatingly important facts. We survived 50 years of audio where no-one knew what was happening with the phase. It wasn't until everyone started "looking" at the waveforms and not mixing with the ears, did it become a problem.

In most cases it isn't even a problem. Isolated, you pretty much can't tell the phase of a waveform just by listening to it, it only becomes a potential problem when you combine more than one sounds together. This is most commonly a problem in the low frequencies. Engineers would use mic positioning, track alignment, high pass filters and that polarity switch on the channel strip to manage the impact of phase cancellation and they got good at it.

Still, to this day these are very common techniques done by world class mixers who are still cutting world class albums.

You can use phase shifts to your creative advantage as well. Get them to null out some of the ugly frequencies as you're enhancing the good stuff. I set crossovers this way. In the end the only thing that matters is how good that mix sounds, that's what is important. No-one cares how you got there. It's more important than any tool we use.

Wow, folks... As I said, this isn't a requirement. It's a feature that would be nice to have in a plugin. I have already said above that it isn't critical in achieving a great mix. It would simply be helpful to be able to analyze phase. By this logic, you don't need most plugins. The fact is that there IS a market for such a plugin.

DDMF PluginDoctor
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

Ozone EQ can - but as per other EQ based options it can only analyse itself.

Return to “Effects”