Airwindows Guitar Conditioner: AU, Mac and PC VST

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Yes: cprompt has it right. You put it before the amp sim, or wherever you'd put a Tube Screamer.

For other TS uses, like juicy semidirty Strats, it's much the same really: it will liven up the sound and add a bit of 'scrunch' (which is the two slew clippers in action). It should respond to the touch of your playing and there's nothing to adjust.

Console4 is tough (ask me questions in its thread and I'll coach you, or just review it) but does things other emulators don't: if you are a digitalphone you might really like it, if you are super into digital and overprocessing it might do nothing for you. It's very much for the sort of person who resorts to external summing boxes, stuff like that. Also, it's a spatial effect and designed not to alter the individual sounds in the mix.

Unless you're using Reaper or Blue Cat Audio stuff to host your VSTs, expect some work to be done: the plugins with controls aren't saving their settings properly on some hosts, and I've been working for weeks to try and figure out what on earth is the matter. Me and my brother tried one complete overhaul and got nowhere, we have another bugfix in store but have trouble coordinating. If anyone's a whiz at 'setchunk/getchunk' in VSTs I'd welcome guidance: completely new to VSTs and to Windows, and I consider this bugfixing extremely urgent. Otherwise I'm just releasing stuff for Reaper and Blue Cat users :D

I start releasing the fancy for-pay plugins when I get to $800 a month (of all patrons combined). Twice that and it's two a month, then I start open sourcing them. Some folks like Jim Sterling are doing way way better than that. I am not as pretty as Jim Sterling, but I have a lot of plugins to bring to Windows VST :D

$800 a month? Heck I could learn to code I'm getting a gat dang patreon

That would be great. I mean you pay for example $12 p.a. and get 12 maybe 24 plugins.

One question left: What happen if you didn't reach the $800 per month? What's the deal then?
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

Tried it out tonight, using LeXtacy and LeGion (hope I'm spelling those right, I mean two high gain amp sim plugins from LePou). I compared it to the Ignite TS-999 plugin and I have to say, I like what you're doing here. I kind of wish we could ask it for a little more, crunch the signal up slightly more and add some harmonics for those of us that like that almost treble boost kind of thing up front. But then it isn't claiming to do everything! And what it does sounds pretty neat.

jinxtigr wrote:If anyone's a whiz at 'setchunk/getchunk' in VSTs I'd welcome guidance: completely new to VSTs and to Windows, and I consider this bugfixing extremely urgent.
Have you considered posting here http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=33? They look like a bunch of very knowledgeable chaps.
A bit fried in the higher freqs

jinxtigr wrote:
For other TS uses, like juicy semidirty Strats,
That is what I use a TS for - so I'll give it a whirl ;-)
it's much the same really: it will liven up the sound and add a bit of 'scrunch' (which is the two slew clippers in action). It should respond to the touch of your playing and there's nothing to adjust.
cool!
Unless you're using Reaper or Blue Cat Audio stuff to host your VSTs, expect some work to be done:
This is why I'm not getting too excited yet. I use SONAR, and I have enough problems getting various plugins "that work" to play along together - let alone add some plugs that I know *probably won't* work.
completely new to VSTs and to Windows, and I consider this bugfixing extremely urgent. Otherwise I'm just releasing stuff for Reaper and Blue Cat users :D
I'll probably just keep my eye on how it's going for awhile...
John Braner
http://johnbraner.bandcamp.com
http://www.soundclick.com/johnbraner
and all the major streaming/download sites.

murnau wrote:That would be great. I mean you pay for example $12 p.a. and get 12 maybe 24 plugins.

One question left: What happen if you didn't reach the $800 per month? What's the deal then?
I have a hell of a lot of free plugins to do anyway, and I'm doing them :D

jbraner wrote:This is why I'm not getting too excited yet. I use SONAR, and I have enough problems getting various plugins "that work" to play along together - let alone add some plugs that I know *probably won't* work.
Yeah, part of what I'm doing this for is to not have to bullshit :D Sonar in particular is having issues. When I have that stuff fixed I'll say so. Because of the way I do things, once it IS fixed it won't break again. My whole deal on the Audio Unit platform was to get the framework so reliable that I never, ever had support problems, and I'm looking to do that on the VST platform, but it does turn out to be trickier than it looked.

Guitar Conditioner doesn't count: it has no controls, so it's already there. I'm thinking of the many plugins that have a bunch of controls. In some ways Console doesn't count either: since it defaults to unity gain on its trim controls, as long as you don't touch them you can use it on anything. If you need to be tweaking the controls, it's not ready on Sonar and Studio One yet (known to work on Reaper though)

jinxtigr wrote:
jbraner wrote:This is why I'm not getting too excited yet. I use SONAR, and I have enough problems getting various plugins "that work" to play along together - let alone add some plugs that I know *probably won't* work.
Yeah, part of what I'm doing this for is to not have to bullshit :D
Oh man - that is music to my ears!!! :)
Sonar in particular is having issues. When I have that stuff fixed I'll say so.
Do you have a mailing list or something? Or else I'll just watch here on this thread - and KVR in general.
Guitar Conditioner doesn't count: it has no controls, so it's already there.
I'll have a play - and compare it to some TS plugins. I have a real TS too - but I'm not really using it anymore. Life is getting in the way at the moment - so it will probably be next week before I can try this.
I'm thinking of the many plugins that have a bunch of controls. In some ways Console doesn't count either: since it defaults to unity gain on its trim controls, as long as you don't touch them you can use it on anything. If you need to be tweaking the controls, it's not ready on Sonar and Studio One yet (known to work on Reaper though)
I'm not too worried about console (or channel) right now - and I don't even know what the other 246 plugins are :wink:
John Braner

jbraner wrote:Do you have a mailing list or something? Or else I'll just watch here on this thread - and KVR in general.
Actually, I do, but it's only for people who had bought a plugin through Kagi and have also specifically asked to be on a mailing list. So no new people can get on the list :cry:

Sorry about that: I'm a bit intense about things like not having mailing lists, promoting, stuff like that. I have never spent a dollar on advertising in close to ten years of running Airwindows and don't mean to start now. I realize this is a handicap but I just hate being marketed to, and all that stuff, so I just won't do it.

The 'Kagi Generation' list is more like just a little shout-out to the Mac-based Audio Unit customers, it's not really being used for important things. I told them about how I'm still selling the Mac AUs using paypal, but that's not a secret (it's $40 for one, $70 for two, $90 for three, but I discourage people getting those unless they really need them: in the long run they will all be free and VST-ported)

I have always discouraged people buying plugins from me that they don't need or don't understand well enough to use, so that's no change. There's a bunch of people out there who've been told by me 'don't buy anything, instead get Channel and Density and Drive and Pressure and use the freebies until you're really clear on something you need to add'. Never never ask me 'I want to use your plugins, what should I buy?'. That tells me you have no idea what you're doing :D

I try to keep an eye on forums. I feel like I am a better match for KVR now that I'm doing VSTs (not to mention releasing them for free), before that KVR was just a bad fit for me. What you have to do to survive ten years in this business selling plugins for $50 each, is… :roll: not very suited to KVR :lol:

Fair enough! :wink:

I'll just watch her, on KVR...

(and climb on board when I think things might work in SONAR, and have a clue what some of the tools are...)
John Braner

Chris, definitely don't be afraid to post in KvR's developer subforum regarding your issues with VST state chunk saving/loading!

Well, I did have a chance to play with this a little. It *does* make a difference on distorted guitar parts! As shown in the video - it does seem to add some kind of "top end" and "clarity" to the sound, and I like it. It only really works on chords and rhythm parts. I tried it on a single line melody - and it made things a little thinner, so I took it off.

The main thing is - the plugin is definitely doing *something*, and the rhythm parts sound good in the mix.
John Braner

Bump to make a point.........
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote:Bump to make a point.........
I don't get it... your point is that the forums are full of posts by Chris, yet you are bumping week-old threads to prove your point. This is known as a self-fulfilling prophecy. Perhaps if you didn't bump them and let them fall away, then there wouldn't be a problem for you to moan about :roll:
A bit fried in the higher freqs

Return to “Effects”