Is the Melda MTurboComp the last Compressor you will need?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

DrReacto wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:55 pmI'm fine if it doesn't look like a piece of hardware but I'm used to grabbing certain controls (I learned on hardware) so I want access to those standard controls in one place.
This issue did exist, that's why many Melda's plugins got an easy screen during their development.

Re. the GUI (lajosuti): You can't satisfy them all. In addition trends come and go. And it's totally understandable that you or others don't like the "coloured Excel-sheet" look. But afair Vojtech made his UI decision not due to visual reasons but for speed of development. ;-) Those of us who don't care about the look profit from this as he spits out plugins in world record time. Here's where the process optimizing strategy shows its muscles.

I can understand about the % values for some parameters (and have made a suggestion to Vojtech about them). One could argue that adjusting the controls should we done "by ear" but I prefer numbers I can relate to, too.

The issue is that each control parameter on the Easy screen can affect several underlying parameters, each with different ranges. Hence the use of a % value, where a higher % means "more" of the parameter.

Have a look at viewtopic.php?f=6&t=520159&p=7316133#p7316133
where I have deconstructed the Attack and Release parameters for one device.

Looking at the Ratio for the same device, that controls 4 parameters, 2 in each of the Dynamics Processors - ratio and knee size. So, which one of those Ratios do you display?

Having said that, it is quite likely that you could build your own Compressor model with the front panel controls that you want.

----------------------
And IKM's Classic Compressor looks more like a power station to me with its 1950's-style Bakelite knobs and dials! ;)
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

elassi wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:15 pmBut afair Vojtech made his UI decision not due to visual reasons but for speed of development. ;-) Those of us who don't care about the look profit from this as he spits out plugins in world record time.
I wouldn't consider this a pro argument :wink: It's always quality over quantity...

Soundplex wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:37 pm
elassi wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:15 pmBut afair Vojtech made his UI decision not due to visual reasons but for speed of development. ;-) Those of us who don't care about the look profit from this as he spits out plugins in world record time.
I wouldn't consider this a pro argument :wink: It's always quality over quantity...
Yep, valid point. Could argue that getting rid of design tasks either leaves more time for development or (if not being done inhouse) reduces costs that'll influence the final price.

However, this does not really weaken your point. :tu:

Soundplex wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:37 pm
You mean you don't like the concept of developing plugins quick ("inspired" by the release of others) with highly generic algorithms (like he wrote he does that because he assumes other devs don't spend much time in dsp) to sell them as cheap as possible? :roll:

Grab one. There's plenty available.

Thanks folks and thanks for the feedback!

DrReacto: If you are used to the actual compressors, then it's definitely more complex for you, because you are used to how these work and sound. But the thing is, for a beginner that would mean learning each of these comps separately, that's a long long learning curve. Especially if you have 4 buttons for ratio for example :D. So I wanted a quick one - all of these compressors, where you simply click each and get the "feel" of how it sounds. And if you like that, you can change it a bit if you want. For you that would of course mean a completely different approach to what you are used to and learning everything again :o. But it may be a quick learning episode hopefully :D
And yes, there's the multiband version too! I don't even know why I didn't make that happen in the first place... :o It just didn't occur to me :D

lajosuti: Got that, btw. working on a major update focusing pretty much only on GUI. It won't change the concepts though - these are and will be by far the most versatile plugins out there, but hopefully we are continually making things cleaner and putting the scientific stuff to the background. You'd be surprised how different people are though - through the decade or so of existence there have been many case when person A came and said that feature 1 should be hidden and feature 2 should be available on the main screen and at the same time person B came with the exact opposite :D. Yeah, world of people, and worse - musicians :D

Soundplex & ellasi - it's actually on about speed of the development, that one is just a perk :). It's more about a personal taste, I always like things that are easily structured in separate panels etc. I personally think that if someone says "the gui should inspire", then he may be working in a wrong field :D. I just like to take a plugin, look at it and see "ok so this section does this, this section that etc." and so the plugins are like that. Many don't like that and want things to look like HW. Others simply don't understand that the plugins may be perhaps too complex. But that's why I'm continuously trying to restructure them, so that they are both fast and easy to use, which is unfortunately often contradicting and everyone has a different taste.
Anyways when it comes to MTurboComp, that's not really an issue, unless you go into the edit screen, where the hell breaks loose :D.
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

I understand why it appeals to some people, no worries. I have to deal with ux designers enough to know its hard to win everyone. I don't think Melda plugins would be inferior in any way, I just commented because I didn't like the title of this topic; this is not the last comp plugin i need :)

Hehe :D no problem ;)
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

Good points Vojtech.

MeldaProduction wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:41 pm Hehe :D no problem ;)
Hi guys,
I got MTurboComp and find it quite impressing on complete drum-subchannels. BUT I got an important qustion due to the fact that it contains so many "models".

I am producing a track based loosely on a wild film score from an italian early 70th movie. It contains light drums, a spinett, strings, celli and a nasty thin scratchy e-guitar. The composition is relatively dark and I emulated all sounds with a certian (not revealed yet) synth to showcase it. The vibe is italian orchestral / jazzy / big band and it has a certain very fast Bach feeling from the spinett. The track is very fast. I did my best to let everything sound 60th/70th and now my question...

I firstly want to try MTurboComp on the stereo mix-sum (I am using the MJUC on certain group-channels and on single tracks a certain Tape Emulation which I won´t reveal yet) for soft compression and I wonder which model seem to be most "historically" fitting for the sum...can you help me out there? I am not a real machine expert and any suggestions to be "authentic" might help me a lot.

THANK you all in advance :)
Have joy and be sound. :phones:

Anyone? Help? No? Not all experts at once please :hihi:

Well, no expert here :), but if you are looking for something really old, try some of the Meldy roads :)
Vojtech

I'll check that out. Thank you :)

MeldaProduction wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:31 pm Well, no expert here :), but if you are looking for something really old, try some of the Meldy roads :)
Hi. Out of a given event I wanted to answer the original question of this thread.

Yes definitely. MTurboComp is everything you'll ever can want from a software compressor. It's literally a compressor designer where you can combine various processors, detectors and saturators from technical aspects and their behaviour...in painstakingly detail. You can even build your own Shadowhill emulation if you want that. So yes. It's the last compressor VST you'll need for sure.

I own some emulations of classical hardware from waves, distressors, Varimus, 1176s, optos, and more modern emulations.

I am mixing a big track project right now and decided to use MTurbocomp exclusively in this process. I needed very different comps for the various single tracks and subgroup and effects tracks. The Melda comp did so well deliver. From subtle bus compression to hard distressor like crushing to somewhere inbetween. Character, precision or totally clean. Everything is there. I am using 9 instances now and boy... There isn't anything to miss whatever situation I can imagine. The option to control every detail is not only great, it's unique. I will post a link when the project is done.

Have joy and be sound.

Return to “Effects”