Toneboosters Morphit - NEW headphones improvement, simulation and customization plugin

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Last edited by Vortifex on Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vortifex wrote:So no matter what headphones you're wearing, it makes them as close to flat response as possible? That's pretty cool.
That's it in a nutshell. There's also the ability to try and emulate what users with other headphones will hear.

I've got a set of HD280's and they're very bass-light and mid-forward, so I was looking for something to correct that. Not so much for mixing, but more for monitoring when I'm self-recording acoustic guitar or something and want to get a better feel for mic placement without having to go back and forth between the microphone and the monitors.

I checked out Morphit and Sonarworks Reference Headphones (both do the same things), and Morphit sounded better while offering the ability to go zero-latency with the limiter off. So I bought Morphit and it made a lot of difference. I keep it on my headphone out on new projects.

For the first time, I'm comfortable double-checking my mixes using headphones. In the past, any type of mix decisions made on the HD280's would've been more likely to hurt versus help. Now it's like a whole new set of cans.

I don't know if it was a good idea to actually show the frequency response curve on the display. Out of curiosity I just tested Morphit with my HD 280 Pro headphones. Then I simply reproduced the Morphit frequency curve on my TB equalizer. It was not easy as the logarithmic scale is a bit different, but after some fiddling I got so close that my EQ curve sounds basically the same as the Morphit profile for my headphones.
So, people might simply get the Morphit demo, pick their headphones, and set up their equalizer plugin accordingly. Takes 15 minutes and saves 30 euros 8) But it is unfair as I am sure it was a lot of effort to collect the headphone data and put all those profiles together.

The idea is nice, though, the difference between Morphit on and off is huge with my headphones.
Might also be cool to have the same plugin for popular speakers.

And to have the plugin as a stand-alone application so that one can also send one's Winamp or other audio application through it when listening to the music on headphones.

fluffy_little_something wrote:I don't know if it was a good idea to actually show the frequency response curve on the display. Out of curiosity I just tested Morphit with my HD 280 Pro headphones. Then I simply reproduced the Morphit frequency curve on my TB equalizer.
Perhaps something that has not been described explicitly; ToneBoosters Morphit is one of the very few (if not only) solution for headphone correction that also corrects the phase response of headphones :-)

djeroen wrote: Perhaps something that has not been described explicitly; ToneBoosters Morphit is one of the very few (if not only) solution for headphone correction that also corrects the phase response of headphones :-)
Uhmm ... I'm bit puzzled by this statement:?
From my limited engineeristic knowledge, only minimum phase systems can be correctly compensated; I mean, only on minimum phase systems you can 100% pull back a flat freq response starting from a "twisted" one using filters (read equalizers); Therefore, to correct a headphone using filters / eq you can not avoid starting from the assumption that headphones have to be minimum phase systems (and, somewhat, this assumption is 99% correct).
Now, considering that in minimal phase systems amplitude response and phase response are indissolubly linked, I can not see how Morphit could differ from a simple minimum phase eq (read standard equalizer)
Please, could you clarify?

N.B. This is not a polemic reply, I would just like to better understand the math that could be behind the Jeroen's statement.

fluffy_little_something wrote:I don't know if it was a good idea to actually show the frequency response curve on the display. Out of curiosity I just tested Morphit with my HD 280 Pro headphones. Then I simply reproduced the Morphit frequency curve on my TB equalizer. It was not easy as the logarithmic scale is a bit different, but after some fiddling I got so close that my EQ curve sounds basically the same as the Morphit profile for my headphones.
So, people might simply get the Morphit demo, pick their headphones, and set up their equalizer plugin accordingly. Takes 15 minutes and saves 30 euros 8) But it is unfair as I am sure it was a lot of effort to collect the headphone data and put all those profiles together.

The idea is nice, though, the difference between Morphit on and off is huge with my headphones.
Might also be cool to have the same plugin for popular speakers.

And to have the plugin as a stand-alone application so that one can also send one's Winamp or other audio application through it when listening to the music on headphones.
why would anyone bother making an EQ curve by hand when they could capture an impulse response... :)
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

Maybe because they don't know enough about those things and using an EQ seems intuitive...

fluffy_little_something wrote:Maybe because they don't know enough about those things and using an EQ seems intuitive...
well if you're going through the trouble of "pirating" it you might as well do it properly :D you're assuming those who don't know enough about "those things" will know that this plugin is basically a collection of EQ curves (aforementioned phase correction notwithstanding), and thus would reach for an EQ to replicate its workings (rather than, say, Waves Q-Clone).
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

Well, I don't think people should do it, which is why I suggested disabling the curve display in the demo version.
The equalizer with its mere 6 bands doesn't allow me to precisely recreate the curve, anyway. The Morphit curves have rather sharp peaks and valley, and lots of them. Still, my eq approximation sounds very similar and way more neutral than without my doing anything.

It's not an expensive plugin to begin with, so I don't know if the complaints about "stealing" the EQ curve carry much weight. I'd rather have a MORE detailed display showing pre and post curves.
Last edited by dangayle on Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alteregoxxx wrote:
djeroen wrote: Perhaps something that has not been described explicitly; ToneBoosters Morphit is one of the very few (if not only) solution for headphone correction that also corrects the phase response of headphones :-)
Uhmm ... I'm bit puzzled by this statement:?
From my limited engineeristic knowledge, only minimum phase systems can be correctly compensated; I mean, only on minimum phase systems you can 100% pull back a flat freq response starting from a "twisted" one using filters (read equalizers); Therefore, to correct a headphone using filters / eq you can not avoid starting from the assumption that headphones have to be minimum phase systems (and, somewhat, this assumption is 99% correct).
Now, considering that in minimal phase systems amplitude response and phase response are indissolubly linked, I can not see how Morphit could differ from a simple minimum phase eq (read standard equalizer)
Please, could you clarify?

N.B. This is not a polemic reply, I would just like to better understand the math that could be behind the Jeroen's statement.
No hope to receive a clarification on that statement? :neutral:

alteregoxxx wrote: No hope to receive a clarification on that statement? :neutral:
Well I don't think many devs will explains all the dirty little secrets they use in their apps. Furthermore we've seen competing products using linear phase EQs, which I think is clearly the wrong thing to do.

One thing that keeps me from buying morphit is that i can't use it for windows playback.
I think there may be some solutions with virtual cables and such things but i was hoping for something more simple.

Because when i hear music through spotify, youtube , etc, i am learning my headphones without the correction.
And then when i am using morphit inside my daw, it is a actually different headphone.

Any help or advice on this Jeroen?

dimtsak wrote:One thing that keeps me from buying morphit is that i can't use it for windows playback.
I think there may be some solutions with virtual cables and such things but i was hoping for something more simple.

Because when i hear music through spotify, youtube , etc, i am learning my headphones without the correction.
And then when i am using morphit inside my daw, it is a actually different headphone.

Any help or advice on this Jeroen?
Very good point imo...

- Mario

Last edited by Vortifex on Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Effects”