Cytomic "The Scream" stomp box distortion plugin

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
The Scream

meloco_go wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:58 pm
3ee wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:09 pm hmm.... then what's with this 'filter associated' looking phase distortion?

Tried to mod it to reduce the phase distortion in the past but it's still pretty significant for regular parallel processing...
Notice that the phase flips at around 50 Hz, had it been from the oversampling filters, there would be a series of phase flips above 10kHz.
What happens with the phase is not caused by the oversampling filters, it's from the normal filters inside the model, the hardware unit will behave exactly the same. You can try to explore the MOD section and move the HPF to a lower frequency.
As for parallel processing, I am using The Scream in parallel quite often and it works great!
Well, originally I was asking for linear-phase option for the 'normal' filters inside the model. Not sure how hard or relevant it will be to implement but I tried my luck asking. As for my case, the success of using it in parallel is quite limited...

3ee wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:10 pm Well, originally I was asking for linear-phase option for the 'normal' filters inside the model. Not sure how hard or relevant it will be to implement but I tried my luck asking. As for my case, the success of using it in parallel is quite limited...
Oh, I see. You're out of luck then -- the filters inside the plugin are modeled on the component level and there is no such thing as linear phase HW filter.
What you can try though, is doing the same trick Dan Worrall uses for "linear phase" HW inserts:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSyCuuSzuE4&t=

3ee wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:09 pm hmm.... then what's with this 'filter associated' looking phase distortion?

Tried to mod it to reduce the phase distortion in the past but it's still pretty significant for regular parallel processing...
For reference, here's the phase response of the Joyo Overdrive (a Tube Screamer clone - Drive and Output knobs at noon, Tone at max) hardware. Looks just like The Scream response.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

meloco_go wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:13 am
andy-cytomic wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:41 am No, it will remain where it is. I think it's better not to discount a beta since it may encourage people that aren't comfortable with betas to jump in early and not enjoy the experience.
While we're at it, any news? ETA for The Scream 1.0?
As you can probably tell from lack of news I got sidetracked away from direct development on The Scream for a few months, but the good news is I'm back on it now.

In the intervening months I've been busy negotiating new contracts, and also completed work on a long overdue SIMD abstraction layer, so now my entire circuit solver is now much neater and no longer Intel SSE specific. It now works with on ARM NEON as well as Intel SSE/AVX, so I can get identical results on either platform that null perfectly with each other. This has also meant. I've also worked out some new non-linear rational approximation methods specific to audio work where you need to keep on just the function but its derivatives smooth to get the best results.

So, it's back to working on the final randomisation engine and GUI, and full undo/redo support, and a bunch of stuff I can't even remember that need doing because of spending so much time away from it. It's good to have had a break and to be excited about The Scream again and have the next couple of months clear to spend on it :)
The Glue, The Drop - www.cytomic.com

3ee wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:56 am also, haven't experienced a single bug yet, seems rock solid ...also, this thing is really awesome, :tu: watching it's development fairly close!

FWIW here's my feature request: the option to have linear-phase filters. reason: most of the times I want to use it in parallel (for mixing and not as a 'guitar pedal' ) and most of the times it won't sound that great due to phase distortion from the filters.
It's not possible to have The Scream use linear phase filters internally, that would drastically alter the sound and is completely besides the point of an accurate analog modelled tube screamer emulation! Please just process forwards then reverse to get linear phase if you can be bothered, or just use the wet / dry knob on The Scream and see if that gets you the sound you're after.

is it even POSSIBLE for a filter made from a collection of diodes to have a linear phase response?

sleepcircle wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:47 am is it even POSSIBLE for a filter made from a collection of diodes to have a linear phase response?
If you're asking "Can you have an analog linear phase filter?", the answer is yes. They aren't particularly clean, but are useful in some circumstances. I've never seen one used in any audio gear.

Here is an example of analog linear phase FIR filters:
https://tspace.library.utoronto.ca/bits ... Q46200.pdf
Last edited by andy-cytomic on Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hah! Wow, that's brilliant.

andy-cytomic wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:38 am In the intervening months I've been busy negotiating new contracts, and also completed work on a long overdue SIMD abstraction layer, so now my entire circuit solver is now much neater and no longer Intel SSE specific. It now works with on ARM NEON as well as Intel SSE/AVX, so I can get identical results on either platform that null perfectly with each other.
Does this mean there is a chance for an iOS/Android app with The Scream? That would be quite interesting.

meloco_go wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:48 pm
andy-cytomic wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:38 am In the intervening months I've been busy negotiating new contracts, and also completed work on a long overdue SIMD abstraction layer, so now my entire circuit solver is now much neater and no longer Intel SSE specific. It now works with on ARM NEON as well as Intel SSE/AVX, so I can get identical results on either platform that null perfectly with each other.
Does this mean there is a chance for an iOS/Android app with The Scream? That would be quite interesting.
I'll most likely do an iOS version of The Glue first, but I'm also planning for the future when Apple move to ARM for their laptops and desktops:
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/apple ... 38668.html

andy-cytomic wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:30 am
meloco_go wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:48 pm
I'll most likely do an iOS version of The Glue first, but I'm also planning for the future when Apple move to ARM for their laptops and desktops:
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/apple ... 38668.html
Then just MAYBE Apple will make a convertible laptop/tablet device that will compete with the Surface.

I also wonder how long it will take for ARM processors to have enough power to run a large DAW session with a full band's worth of tracks and plugins. :phones:

Tappistry wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:02 am Then just MAYBE Apple will make a convertible laptop/tablet device that will compete with the Surface.

I also wonder how long it will take for ARM processors to have enough power to run a large DAW session with a full band's worth of tracks and plugins. :phones:
ARM processors can already run a large DAW session with loads of tracks and plugins, and they are thermally much better so you can run loads of them without chewing too much power or getting too hot. I see the main issue for serious DAW work is plugin compatibility, and file management / ram for massive sample libraries.

I'm not sure Apple are ever going to add proper touch / pen input to macOS - I think they are more likely to continue pushing iOS / iPadOS and, like with the files app, continue adding features that customers demand to get serious work done, and then deal with the massive lag as companies get around to supporting ARM properly. An example of a company that has already made this jump is Serif with their Affinity product line Photo, Designer, and Publisher. They run on macOS, iOS, and Windows. Other companies will follow suit, especially with ARM chips on laptops. It's a similar situation to when Apple made the jump from PPC to Intel.

you are now in late stages of development, can you set a specific date for the Scream final? lets talk years, will it be 2019? 2020? 2025?

andy-cytomic wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:27 am
Tappistry wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:02 am Then just MAYBE Apple will make a convertible laptop/tablet device that will compete with the Surface.

ARM processors can already run a large DAW session with loads of tracks and plugins, and they are thermally much better so you can run loads of them without chewing too much power or getting too hot. I see the main issue for serious DAW work is plugin compatibility, and file management / ram for massive sample libraries.

I'm not sure Apple are ever going to add proper touch / pen input to macOS - I think they are more likely to continue pushing iOS / iPadOS and, like with the files app, continue adding features that customers demand to get serious work done, and then deal with the massive lag as companies get around to supporting ARM properly. An example of a company that has already made this jump is Serif with their Affinity product line Photo, Designer, and Publisher. They run on macOS, iOS, and Windows. Other companies will follow suit, especially with ARM chips on laptops. It's a similar situation to when Apple made the jump from PPC to Intel.
I don't think the high performance oriented market (e.g. Desktops) will move to ARM just yet, more maybe in 5-10 years. No one knows what will come for x86 then, they do not stop research either.

It seems Apple wants to go the ARM route with their MacBook Airs first.
ARM still not reaches I7-9 / AMD Zen2 levels. Afaik they do not have real 8-cores yet and AMD seems to have even a 12-core in midrange coming up in July.

Anyway, when writing portable code, this shouldn't be a really big problem for anyone who wants to support all architectures as far as you can use current compilers.

Stringzy wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:59 am you are now in late stages of development, can you set a specific date for the Scream final? lets talk years, will it be 2019? 2020? 2025?
The Scream will be finished in 2019.

Return to “Effects”