VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Effects discussion
KVRAF
9020 posts since 16 Aug, 2006

Post Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:25 am

jens wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:07 am
The solution for what?
The problem described here...
One of the only exceptions may be Sknote as they have no demo and I am usually too lazy to ask for a refund - I sometimes do, but rarely - and nonetheless barely use the stuff because a lot of it is just buggy as hell - and yet I do not complain because it's my own choice after all (even though I think there should be a big bold red disclaimer all over the Sknote-website saying something along the lines of: "WARNING - the chance that this software is going to work for you as advertised is mimimal" :hihi:)...
...seems like just avoiding them in the first place (going forward at least) would prevent these issues. That's the conclusion I came to for myself with them anyway.

KVRAF
21338 posts since 12 Jul, 2003 from West Caprazumia

Post Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:37 am

Yes, but my point was that I know what I am getting myself into, so there's no real point in complaining afterwards...
if you walk into a strip-bar, don't complain afterwards because you've been exposed to nudity.

KVRist
71 posts since 7 Dec, 2016

Post Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:09 am

When I think of Cytomic products...

The Drop still sounds absolutely incredible and it is -at least to my ears- the best saturation/filter plugin ITB. Trying running any software synth through it and be prepared to be amazed.

The Glue, after all these years, is preferred by so many users to newer and more 'flashy' alternatives. The Glue HD update will surely take it to the next level.

The Scream, even though it is still in beta, is rock-solid and more stable than other official releases (think of Plugin Alliance and their long history of bugs).

And I haven't even tried any of his work for Ableton which gets rave reviews everywhere (EQ8, filters for Wavetable, The Glue...)

I don't mind waiting longer for the official release because I know everything Andy releases is top-notch and the level of detail is amazing. One of my favourite developers, Big up Andy and Cytomic!

KVRian
729 posts since 29 Nov, 2015

Post Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:12 am

Question, whats the preffered way of using The Scream to add some subtle saturation to the material? Low on the dry/wet? Or is there a way to 'mod' it so the drive knob goes much lower in amount of drive applied? And if so, would that be prefferable? Would any method yield an objectively better quality? This would be for all kinds of stuff like synths, drum parts and base lines.

KVRAF
3893 posts since 28 Jun, 2009 from Wherever I lay my hat

Post Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:15 am

mrj1nx wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:12 am
Question, whats the preffered way of using The Scream to add some subtle saturation to the material? Low on the dry/wet? Or is there a way to 'mod' it so the drive knob goes much lower in amount of drive applied? And if so, would that be prefferable? Would any method yield an objectively better quality? This would be for all kinds of stuff like synths, drum parts and base lines.
My first thought was: why would you want to use a TS808 for SUBTLE saturation? Wouldn't that be like using an excavator to mow a lawn? Well, I'd be curious to hear if and how anyone uses it that way, too.

KVRian
1347 posts since 8 Jan, 2003 from Edinburgh

Post Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:37 am

Just turn the drive all the way down. It's a stomp box - so you don't mix wet and dry, it's either on or it's not ;)
John Braner
http://www.soundclick.com/johnbraner
and all the major streaming/download sites.

KVRist
281 posts since 22 Nov, 2015

Post Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:59 am

mrj1nx wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:12 am
Turn the input right down, remove the diodes in the mod section and increase the voltage to 18V should be a good start, and yeah play around with the dry/wet after you've got a nice tone/timbre

KVRAF

Post Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:54 pm

ariston wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:15 am

My first thought was: why would you want to use a TS808 for SUBTLE saturation? Wouldn't that be like using an excavator to mow a lawn? Well, I'd be curious to hear if and how anyone uses it that way, too.
Why would you not, if it's a saturation plugin as flexible as this one and with as high a quality as this one, regardless of what it emulates by default? :-D

The Scream is indeed great for suble warm saturation... increasing the voltage is good start...

edit: Havok beat me to it by a few hours...

KVRAF

Topic Starter

2350 posts since 3 Dec, 2008

Post Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:24 pm

For a gentle warming sound you can click on the main button to turn the LED off, it still processes the audio through two class-a biased BJT buffers with dc blocking, so will impart some subtle analog character to the sound.

If you want more tone that that then you can set R106 to 0, and set C103 to 2.2u and C105 to 4.7n. The drive knob at 0 will process audio through the drive op-amp and sum this with the diode clipped path as well, but at unity gain, and without the mid hump of the TS-808. If you want more subtle drive than this then you can set the diode count to higher on each side, or completely remove them, or pad the input and output as needed to either increase or decrease the drive. For more drive increase the input and decrease the output gain, or vice-versa for more subtle drive.

In the final release there will be a bunch of production presets, and also the lower cpu mode will mean you can use The Scream on more tracks for warming applications.
The Glue, The Drop - www.cytomic.com

KVRAF

Post Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:01 pm

Interesting! Will definitely try it out.

KVRAF

Post Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:10 am

Well, I have of course not the slightest idea what I am doing, but here's a nice setting I came up with...
a little different than the afore-mentioned diode-recipes...

https://easyupload.io/y2mdw6

KVRAF

Post Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:21 am

And if you change it to the following, you get a nice, still warm, slightly crunchy amp-ish tone:

https://easyupload.io/eiyfin

KVRAF

Post Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:04 am

Using Andy's instructions on several sources... you can get a nice warming vibe, if you don't overdo it. Setting the drive to somewhere between 5 and 10% is more than enough, so it's still kind of aggressive. But it's crunchy in a nice way. Maybe have to adjust the output gain as suggested.
Interesting, would never have thought of using it this way.

KVRAF
2118 posts since 15 Feb, 2006 from Berkeley, CA

Post Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:45 pm

ariston wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:04 am
Using Andy's instructions on several sources... you can get a nice warming vibe, if you don't overdo it. Setting the drive to somewhere between 5 and 10% is more than enough, so it's still kind of aggressive. But it's crunchy in a nice way. Maybe have to adjust the output gain as suggested.
Interesting, would never have thought of using it this way.
Also be aware that one reason guitarists love Tube Screamers is their sensitivity to input level. So if you know what you're doing you can go from quite clean to ripping leads just by varying your picking, volume and pickup settings rather than dancing on footswitches to change tones. Sounds like Andy's modeled that behavior very well. :party: Also great to see there's a way to dial down that "screaming" midrange. :tu:

KVRer
22 posts since 22 Aug, 2015

Post Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:49 am

the sound of "The Scream" is amazing ; do you have a date to the final release? can't wait to use the final version..

Return to “Effects”