what's the best roland tape echo emulation?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The gsi gs-201 is also pretty good
https://www.genuinesoundware.com/?a=showproduct&b=45
I am pretty much covered with vallhalla delay
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

aMUSEd wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:38 am Space Delay does have a tape age feature too (and you can turn off oversampling and HQ mode) - so despite those the IK one is dirtier?
Space Delay can sound clean as well, but with the Tape Age feature it can get dirtier than Outer Space. Overall (not just based on sound) I prefer Outer Space. When I can't get the dirty sound I'm looking for out of Outer Space, then I reach for Space Delay.
aMUSEd wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:38 am I"m liking the different preamps with the Arturia one a lot
Yes, nice addition to the latest version.

I've had the Arturia plugin for quite a while and quite like the sound of it. It's reverb tank emulation ending up in their spring reverb plugins was also a great feature.

However, I have just upgrade to IK's Total Studio which has their version of the Space Echo. I've yet to try it. Though I can't see myself preferring one over the other. I like the fact that emulations can be a little different. It's these differences that can be exploited in a mix which I am very much a fan of. It's great for separation and depth.

I've had UAD a long time ago and sorry but no other emulation comes close enough to compete with the UAD version. The same with Roland Dimension D.

simon.a.billington wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:46 pm I've had the Arturia plugin for quite a while and quite like the sound of it. It's reverb tank emulation ending up in their spring reverb plugins was also a great feature.

However, I have just upgrade to IK's Total Studio which has their version of the Space Echo. I've yet to try it. Though I can't see myself preferring one over the other. I like the fact that emulations can be a little different. It's these differences that can be exploited in a mix which I am very much a fan of. It's great for separation and depth.
Talking about the Arturia Space Echo spring reverbs and differences, have you compared the one from Delay TAPE-201 and the one from Rev SPRING-636?

Daimonicon wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:59 pm I've had UAD a long time ago and sorry but no other emulation comes close enough to compete with the UAD version. The same with Roland Dimension D.
I think the UAD definitely has a certain realism to it. I do wonder if they could even update it further now, it's quite old.

I have to say though the Audiothing Outer Space, that Lotuz recommended, is also a really good sounding version. It seems a lot more hifi, and perhaps a bit less realistic, but I think it's another really good flavour of the Space Echo - kinda like a 'modern' version.

*I've only heard the demo's though and not had time to actually demo it yet.

_leras wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:47 am I have to say though the Audiothing Outer Space, that Lotuz recommended, is also a really good sounding version. It seems a lot more hifi, and perhaps a bit less realistic, but I think it's another really good flavour of the Space Echo - kinda like a 'modern' version.

*I've only heard the demo's though and not had time to actually demo it yet.
Sounds pretty realistic to me. Like a well maintained unit.

https://youtu.be/i7QokoGNiIU

The sound can be degraded, but don't expect it to sound as dirty as the Space Echo in this video.

https://youtu.be/yUg-AHtSdU8

But if you look at other AudioThing plugins, you know that Carlo already has the tools to make Outer Space sound from hifi to extremely lofi.

Daimonicon wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:59 pm I've had UAD a long time ago and sorry but no other emulation comes close enough to compete with the UAD version. The same with Roland Dimension D.
it depends on the unit.
My hardware sounds pretty much exactly like the UAD version, but my friend's RE-201 sounds just like the AudioThing version. His is in pretty good condition and he bought some ultra hi-fi tape from Japan i think. I think Outer Space is my fave, but it definitely has a harder low-mid/mid knock to it. It's nice and clean, or at least the dirt is harder. :P

Lotuz2019 wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:46 am Sounds pretty realistic to me. Like a well maintained unit.

https://youtu.be/i7QokoGNiIU

The sound can be degraded, but don't expect it to sound as dirty as the Space Echo in this video.
Don't get me wrong I like the sound - but I can also hear a difference in this video even on not great speakers. The character of the sound is definitely there, but the UAD gets a bit closer. The outer space more hi-fi type sound would maybe even work better in some situations though.

*it's a pretty specific type of sound from this delay/reverb - so it's not a use anywhere delay at the best of times

**UAD one is also more than 10yrs old now - maybe they'll do an update!

***need to demo this properly so I'm not just commenting off demoes! :hihi:

Lotuz2019 wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:05 pm
simon.a.billington wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:46 pm I've had the Arturia plugin for quite a while and quite like the sound of it. It's reverb tank emulation ending up in their spring reverb plugins was also a great feature.

Talking about the Arturia Space Echo spring reverbs and differences, have you compared the one from Delay TAPE-201 and the one from Rev SPRING-636?
No not yet. It's been on my todo list, I just haven't gotten around to it.

I imagine but would be the same. Although, differences in the preamp and tape circuitry emulation might prove that otherwise. That's why I also think its worthwhile checking out.

They're not the same. Like the dark and bright version of Outer Space/Springs (but still quite different). Makes me wonder if there were RE-201 units with a dark spring reverb and other units with a bright spring reverb. Space Delay has a bright spring reverb similar to Outer Space/Springs btw.

You can't go wrong with the Genuine Soundware, Audiothing, or Arturia models. Like the original units, those three plugins vary quite a bit in their character.

bkbjl
Last edited by codec_spurt on Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hmmm.. I just use the Ableton stock Echo for this.. its not perfect but kind of gets there.
The UAD one is pretty hard to go past..

I would only be interested in an emulation of the real thing, if I could play with the tape like Nils Frahm does…

Return to “Effects”