Exponential Audio R4

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Effects discussion
User avatar
DJErmac
KVRAF
1748 posts since 25 Apr, 2009 from France

Post Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:21 am

VSR S24 is flexible as hell, I can't see it as a realistic only reverb.
This post is supposed to be non-agressive. Now please give me a broad smile. :ud:

User avatar
plexuss
KVRAF
4717 posts since 8 Jul, 2009

Post Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:55 pm

don1thedon wrote:For = Simply stunning sound
Against = Such a dumb upgrade policy (NFR) as previously mentioned.
At $150 that makes it a really tough call even for my GAS!
Hmm what to do? :shrug:
I've compared R4 to a number of my other reverbs. R4 sounds nice but I just can't justify the $150 NFR price. and I can't justify the $300 non-NFR price. I would love to add R4 to my reverb toolkit but not with those prices. I *might* have considered it at $150 non-NFR but even still... the thing that I like about it compared to my other premium reverbs is the lower CPU load. In terms of sound, it's nice but not light years ahead of, say, 2caudio. I'd probably have jumped if it wasn't NFR.

chk071
KVRAF
30681 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:58 pm

plexuss wrote:
chk071 wrote:
plexuss wrote: That's why I own about 40 different reverbs. I am very moody.
I found out that it is very useful to have the right reverb for the right usage case (vocals, percussions, pads). I couldn't imagine owning 40 different reverbs though. Don't think i could manage that. :P
Here's a video I made about year ago, when I only had 30. :) I know it's not the best video for this but it does catalogue the sound of these 30 reverbs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Usr__kFk2qQ&t=7s
Hm, thought i had replied on this... thanks for that, always nice to be able to compare different reverbs. Even though the breaks between the examples are a bit long, so, at least for me, the ear's "memory" is already a bit foggy. :)
Plugins and a DAW. On an operating system. Which runs on a computer.

ghettosynth
KVRAF
13136 posts since 13 Oct, 2009

Post Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:19 pm

chk071 wrote:
plexuss wrote:
chk071 wrote:
plexuss wrote: That's why I own about 40 different reverbs. I am very moody.
I found out that it is very useful to have the right reverb for the right usage case (vocals, percussions, pads). I couldn't imagine owning 40 different reverbs though. Don't think i could manage that. :P
Here's a video I made about year ago, when I only had 30. :) I know it's not the best video for this but it does catalogue the sound of these 30 reverbs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Usr__kFk2qQ&t=7s
Hm, thought i had replied on this... thanks for that, always nice to be able to compare different reverbs. Even though the breaks between the examples are a bit long, so, at least for me, the ear's "memory" is already a bit foggy. :)
Indeed. Great video! One thing that really stood out to me though is how much I loved Spat at the end. I have Verb3, which I also love, but not Spat, do you have any thoughts on these two? Of course, I could demo them but it wouldn't matter at the moment because the upgrade isn't on sale. I just want to build up some thoughts for when they're on sale.

User avatar
el-bo (formerly ebow)
KVRAF
16257 posts since 24 May, 2009 from A galaxy, far far away

Post Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:47 pm

chk071 wrote:
plexuss wrote:
chk071 wrote:
plexuss wrote: That's why I own about 40 different reverbs. I am very moody.
I found out that it is very useful to have the right reverb for the right usage case (vocals, percussions, pads). I couldn't imagine owning 40 different reverbs though. Don't think i could manage that. :P
Here's a video I made about year ago, when I only had 30. :) I know it's not the best video for this but it does catalogue the sound of these 30 reverbs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Usr__kFk2qQ&t=7s
Hm, thought i had replied on this... thanks for that, always nice to be able to compare different reverbs. Even though the breaks between the examples are a bit long, so, at least for me, the ear's "memory" is already a bit foggy. :)
If you use the links in the video dialog box, it takes you to the exact same section for each 'verb :tu:

chk071
KVRAF
30681 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:51 pm

Ah, nice stuff, i missed that. :tu:
Plugins and a DAW. On an operating system. Which runs on a computer.

User avatar
el-bo (formerly ebow)
KVRAF
16257 posts since 24 May, 2009 from A galaxy, far far away

Post Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:59 pm

plexuss wrote:
chk071 wrote:
plexuss wrote: That's why I own about 40 different reverbs. I am very moody.
I found out that it is very useful to have the right reverb for the right usage case (vocals, percussions, pads). I couldn't imagine owning 40 different reverbs though. Don't think i could manage that. :P
Here's a video I made about year ago, when I only had 30. :) I know it's not the best video for this but it does catalogue the sound of these 30 reverbs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Usr__kFk2qQ&t=7s
That video confirmed what I'd already suspected i.e I have no need for much more than a convolution, a decent algo, and some kind of shimmer 'verb. I have 'Space Designer', 'Vroom', 'VVV', and, 'Shimmer', and I already sometimes feel that 'Vroom' is surplus to requirements.

you've spent a lot of money so that the rest of us might not have to :tu:

ghettosynth
KVRAF
13136 posts since 13 Oct, 2009

Post Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:05 pm

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
That video confirmed what I'd already suspected i.e I have no need for much more than a convolution, a decent algo, and some kind of shimmer 'verb. I have 'Space Designer', 'Vroom', 'VVV', and, 'Shimmer', and I already sometimes feel that 'Vroom' is surplus to requirements.

you've spent a lot of money so that the rest of us might not have to :tu:
Yes. Even though I still buy a lot of verbs, I don't buy a lot of expensive verbs. I can really feel the usefulness in Verb3 and reverberate2, which is why I went with those this past season on the full sweep mixing/mastering tools upgrade.

I have enough specialty verbs that I dismiss most. I demoed the Lexicon verbs and Pheonix and, while they're good, I just didn't feel that I could justify them, especially Pheonix.

Now adaptiverb, just waiting on the next sale.

chk071
KVRAF
30681 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:22 pm

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
plexuss wrote:
chk071 wrote:
plexuss wrote: That's why I own about 40 different reverbs. I am very moody.
I found out that it is very useful to have the right reverb for the right usage case (vocals, percussions, pads). I couldn't imagine owning 40 different reverbs though. Don't think i could manage that. :P
Here's a video I made about year ago, when I only had 30. :) I know it's not the best video for this but it does catalogue the sound of these 30 reverbs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Usr__kFk2qQ&t=7s
That video confirmed what I'd already suspected i.e I have no need for much more than a convolution, a decent algo, and some kind of shimmer 'verb. I have 'Space Designer', 'Vroom', 'VVV', and, 'Shimmer', and I already sometimes feel that 'Vroom' is surplus to requirements.

you've spent a lot of money so that the rest of us might not have to :tu:
Only have a couple of reverbs too... Eventide Blackhole and UltraReverb (LOVE the sound of the Eventide reverbs), TB-Reverb (very clean, very good sounding), the free TAL stuff, which is also quite good, and, when i use Spire, i also use its reverb, which IMO sounds nice. I really do think that you should invest a bit in a good sounding reverb though, especially when you're making reverb intensive music, like Ambient, or Trance music. Nothing worse than a quality sounding synth used with a bad reverb. :P Especially as they're all so different, IMO, it makes sense to demo a lot, and see what works for you. With most of the free 'verbs, i often found that they sound very metallic, muffled, and not "pristine", and you just can't get rid of that character.
Plugins and a DAW. On an operating system. Which runs on a computer.

User avatar
el-bo (formerly ebow)
KVRAF
16257 posts since 24 May, 2009 from A galaxy, far far away

Post Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:57 pm

chk071 wrote:
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
plexuss wrote:
chk071 wrote:
plexuss wrote: That's why I own about 40 different reverbs. I am very moody.
I found out that it is very useful to have the right reverb for the right usage case (vocals, percussions, pads). I couldn't imagine owning 40 different reverbs though. Don't think i could manage that. :P
Here's a video I made about year ago, when I only had 30. :) I know it's not the best video for this but it does catalogue the sound of these 30 reverbs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Usr__kFk2qQ&t=7s
That video confirmed what I'd already suspected i.e I have no need for much more than a convolution, a decent algo, and some kind of shimmer 'verb. I have 'Space Designer', 'Vroom', 'VVV', and, 'Shimmer', and I already sometimes feel that 'Vroom' is surplus to requirements.

you've spent a lot of money so that the rest of us might not have to :tu:
Only have a couple of reverbs too... Eventide Blackhole and UltraReverb (LOVE the sound of the Eventide reverbs), TB-Reverb (very clean, very good sounding), the free TAL stuff, which is also quite good, and, when i use Spire, i also use its reverb, which IMO sounds nice. I really do think that you should invest a bit in a good sounding reverb though, especially when you're making reverb intensive music, like Ambient, or Trance music. Nothing worse than a quality sounding synth used with a bad reverb. :P Especially as they're all so different, IMO, it makes sense to demo a lot, and see what works for you. With most of the free 'verbs, i often found that they sound very metallic, muffled, and not "pristine", and you just can't get rid of that character.
I agree on getting a good 'verb, but these days I reckon most of them are. Were I doing foley work, recording soloists etc, I think I'd be more picky, but as it is, I'm either looking to just hint at a space, or going full on into effect territory. Either way, I'm covered.

It's actually taken me a long time to get over my aversion to using reverbs, other than those that are baked into the synth sounds I might be using. Too many years of band rehearsals in school/church halls just wishing that we were in a much 'tighter' space, so the last thing I am interested is drowning sounds in 'random' halls :scared:

ghettosynth
KVRAF
13136 posts since 13 Oct, 2009

Post Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:04 pm

chk071 wrote:
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
plexuss wrote:
chk071 wrote:
plexuss wrote: That's why I own about 40 different reverbs. I am very moody.
I found out that it is very useful to have the right reverb for the right usage case (vocals, percussions, pads). I couldn't imagine owning 40 different reverbs though. Don't think i could manage that. :P
Here's a video I made about year ago, when I only had 30. :) I know it's not the best video for this but it does catalogue the sound of these 30 reverbs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Usr__kFk2qQ&t=7s
That video confirmed what I'd already suspected i.e I have no need for much more than a convolution, a decent algo, and some kind of shimmer 'verb. I have 'Space Designer', 'Vroom', 'VVV', and, 'Shimmer', and I already sometimes feel that 'Vroom' is surplus to requirements.

you've spent a lot of money so that the rest of us might not have to :tu:
Only have a couple of reverbs too... Eventide Blackhole and UltraReverb (LOVE the sound of the Eventide reverbs)
Ultrareverb was a pleasant surprise. It's like a reverb toolkit. I also think that Stereo Room is useful, especially since it was free.

chk071
KVRAF
30681 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:09 pm

ghettosynth wrote:
chk071 wrote:
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
plexuss wrote:
chk071 wrote:
plexuss wrote: That's why I own about 40 different reverbs. I am very moody.
I found out that it is very useful to have the right reverb for the right usage case (vocals, percussions, pads). I couldn't imagine owning 40 different reverbs though. Don't think i could manage that. :P
Here's a video I made about year ago, when I only had 30. :) I know it's not the best video for this but it does catalogue the sound of these 30 reverbs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Usr__kFk2qQ&t=7s
That video confirmed what I'd already suspected i.e I have no need for much more than a convolution, a decent algo, and some kind of shimmer 'verb. I have 'Space Designer', 'Vroom', 'VVV', and, 'Shimmer', and I already sometimes feel that 'Vroom' is surplus to requirements.

you've spent a lot of money so that the rest of us might not have to :tu:
Only have a couple of reverbs too... Eventide Blackhole and UltraReverb (LOVE the sound of the Eventide reverbs)
Ultrareverb was a pleasant surprise. It's like a reverb toolkit. I also think that Stereo Room is useful, especially since it was free.
Really need to give that a go, i got it for free in that Focusrite offer, and installed it, but never really tried it... spoiled... :D
Plugins and a DAW. On an operating system. Which runs on a computer.

User avatar
quantum7
KVRian
1048 posts since 31 Dec, 2006 from the hills above beautiful Boise, Idaho

Post Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:35 pm

I just did a head to head with R4, B2, and several other of my favorite reverbs. I am a reverb junkie and own a majority of the higher-end software reverbs. I am always on the lookout for a software reverb that will curtail my lust for a Bracasti M7. R4 has officially come the closest to making me want to put to rest my temptation to spend thousands of dollars for a Bricasti. I absolutely LOVE the R4 and it will be replacing B2 as my go-to reverb on the new album I just started writing. I will still use some Adaptiverb and Altiverb in certain situations, but R4 sounds like reverb heaven to my ears. Awesome job Exponential Audio! :tu:
Last edited by quantum7 on Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ghettosynth
KVRAF
13136 posts since 13 Oct, 2009

Post Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:38 pm

quantum7 wrote:I just did a head to head with R4, B2, and several other of my favorite reverbs. I am a reverb junkie a majority of the higher-end software reverbs and am always on the lookout for a software reverb that will curtail my lust for a Bracasti M7. R4 has officially come the closest to making me want to put to rest my temptation to spend thousands of dollars for a Bricasti. I absolutely LOVE the R4 and it will be replacing B2 as my go-to reverb on the new album I just started writing. I will use some Adaptiverb is certain situations, but R4 sounds like reverb heaven to my ears. Awesome job Exponential Audio! :tu:
Do you have Verb3?

User avatar
quantum7
KVRian
1048 posts since 31 Dec, 2006 from the hills above beautiful Boise, Idaho

Post Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:45 pm

ghettosynth wrote:
quantum7 wrote:I just did a head to head with R4, B2, and several other of my favorite reverbs. I am a reverb junkie a majority of the higher-end software reverbs and am always on the lookout for a software reverb that will curtail my lust for a Bracasti M7. R4 has officially come the closest to making me want to put to rest my temptation to spend thousands of dollars for a Bricasti. I absolutely LOVE the R4 and it will be replacing B2 as my go-to reverb on the new album I just started writing. I will use some Adaptiverb is certain situations, but R4 sounds like reverb heaven to my ears. Awesome job Exponential Audio! :tu:
Do you have Verb3?
Verb3?

Return to “Effects”