Exponential Audio R4

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Exponential Audio: R4

quantum7 wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:
quantum7 wrote:I just did a head to head with R4, B2, and several other of my favorite reverbs. I am a reverb junkie a majority of the higher-end software reverbs and am always on the lookout for a software reverb that will curtail my lust for a Bracasti M7. R4 has officially come the closest to making me want to put to rest my temptation to spend thousands of dollars for a Bricasti. I absolutely LOVE the R4 and it will be replacing B2 as my go-to reverb on the new album I just started writing. I will use some Adaptiverb is certain situations, but R4 sounds like reverb heaven to my ears. Awesome job Exponential Audio! :tu:
Do you have Verb3?
Verb3?
Ircam Verb3

http://www.fluxhome.com/products/plug_ins/ircam_verb-v3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFw4hDyCEsU

ghettosynth wrote:
quantum7 wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:
quantum7 wrote:I just did a head to head with R4, B2, and several other of my favorite reverbs. I am a reverb junkie a majority of the higher-end software reverbs and am always on the lookout for a software reverb that will curtail my lust for a Bracasti M7. R4 has officially come the closest to making me want to put to rest my temptation to spend thousands of dollars for a Bricasti. I absolutely LOVE the R4 and it will be replacing B2 as my go-to reverb on the new album I just started writing. I will use some Adaptiverb is certain situations, but R4 sounds like reverb heaven to my ears. Awesome job Exponential Audio! :tu:
Do you have Verb3?
Verb3?
Ircam Verb version 3! Ah! It threw me off with the verb3. Yes, I also pitted it against R4. I like R4 better! I'm certainly not trying to imply that it is necessarily better because it's all subjective, but I personally like R4 better because it just has a character to the sound that I personally like. Ircam Verb sounds too clean to me.....which can be great, but I'm more attracted to a reverb with character....for a lack of better words. When it comes down to it, I use all sorts of reverbs on my tracks, but for my next New Age album I've decided that R4 has the desired character that I was looking for. I will be featuring a cellist on the next album and man oh man does R4 sound sweet with Emotional Cello for Kontakt that I'm using to compose with in the meantime. :tu:

quantum7 wrote:I'm more attracted to a reverb with character....for a lack of better words. When it comes down to it, I use all sorts of reverbs on my tracks, but for my next New Age album I've decided that R4 has the desired character that I was looking for. I will be featuring a cellist on the next album and man oh man does R4 sound sweet with Emotional Cello for Kontakt that I'm using to compose with in the meantime. :tu:
I agree, I am also generally more attracted to reverb with character. I love Nimbus as well, but R4 has become my go-to reverb for most things. With the compression/expansion, gating, ducking, and filtering, there are so many ways to slot it into a mix unobtrusively.

I have many other reverbs that I really enjoy the sound of as well, but the combination of flexibility, sound, and efficiency makes R4 the one I reach for first.

Please post some samples of the cellist with R4, if you can!

quantum7 wrote: Ircam Verb sounds too clean to me
connect an external modulator/lfo (easy in Reaper) to Reverb Start. Adds a nice modulation/chorus. CPU increases though.

My reverb needs are covered several times over and 85% of the time I use the Lexicon PCM Native Bundle, Eventide UltraReverb or Exponential Audio PhoenixVerb. However, being the reverb junkie that I am, I ultimately purchased R4 with the customer discount code forwarded to me as a present PhoenixVerb owner.

I was more than likely going to purchase R2 during the next Exponential Audio sale. Needless to say, I am glad that R4 was release prior to the said event.

With that said, I will surely purchase Exponential Audio's Nimbus as I have another customer discount code available for it. IMO, Nimbus and R4 will complement each other very well.

Silaris wrote:With that said, I will surely purchase Exponential Audio's Nimbus as I have another customer discount code available for it. IMO, Nimbus and R4 will complement each other very well.
Yes they do! It's interesting to me sometimes how Nimbus or R4 will sound better in certain situations, somewhat unexpectedly. The more colorful R4 sometimes works better as an ambience or short room, and the more transparent Nimbus sometimes sounds better higher in the mix. It's great to have both!

Spent most of yesterday demoing R4, comparing features and sound with other 'verbs, and bought it with my code today. It certainly does work well alongside Nimbus for different duties.
I really like the colouration for using with guitars and lead synths. Actually got a really nice result using it on MODO bass too!

Still trying to make my mind up

Bought it after some days of testing.
I came to the conclusion that it's a fantastic allrounder that works great in lots of different situations.

I am struggling with this decision too. Owning Nimbus, is this different enough to warrant owning both? At this point I am thinking... maybe. The option would be to augment Nimbus with something which sounds completely different, like Valhalla Vintage verb.

The problem for me, as with Nimbus, is this is a complete replacement for the previous version - therefore an upgrade, not what is being advertised as a crossgrade to a new product. It renders the old version redundant for me and makes me regret buying it since it was only a few months ago. So I have to reel in my annoyance with the company for the way they have mishandled this as well as decide just how much of a difference from R2 is worth paying over £120.

aMUSEd wrote:The problem for me, as with Nimbus, is this is a complete replacement for the previous version - therefore an upgrade, not what is being advertised as a crossgrade to a new product. It renders the old version redundant for me and makes me regret buying it since it was only a few months ago. So I have to reel in my annoyance with the company for the way they have mishandled this as well as decide just how much of a difference from R2 is worth paying over £120.
I agree completely. Exponential's distinction between 'upgrade' and 'new' product is hazy to put it kindly and, of course, dictated solely by commercial reasons. I never upgraded my Phoenixverb to Nimbus for that very reason. However, since I didn't have R2, I did buy the discounted R4…

/Joachim
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

Spitfire31 wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:The problem for me, as with Nimbus, is this is a complete replacement for the previous version - therefore an upgrade, not what is being advertised as a crossgrade to a new product. It renders the old version redundant for me and makes me regret buying it since it was only a few months ago. So I have to reel in my annoyance with the company for the way they have mishandled this as well as decide just how much of a difference from R2 is worth paying over £120.
I agree completely. Exponential's distinction between 'upgrade' and 'new' product is hazy to put it kindly and, of course, dictated solely by commercial considerations. I never upgraded my Phoenixverb to Nimbus for that very reason. However, since I didn't have R2, I did buy the discounted R4…

/Joachim
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

Spitfire31 wrote:
I agree completely. Exponential's distinction between 'upgrade' and 'new' product is hazy to put it kindly and, of course, dictated solely by commercial reasons. I never upgraded my Phoenixverb to Nimbus for that very reason. However, since I didn't have R2, I did buy the discounted R4…

/Joachim
I bought it but I will sell R2

Prior to the release of R4, I only owned PhoenixVerb from the products offered by Exponential Audio. I purchased R4 with the customer discount and afterwards purchased Nimbus with another customer discount. I agree that both Nimbus and R4 are truly PhoenixVerb v2 and R2 v2, respectively, and should be sold as such to licenses owners of the ladder products.

At this time, I would like to purchase Excalibur, but it seems, based on Exponential Audio's history of upgrading old products and selling them as completely new technology to existing license owners, that I will wait until Excalibur 2 is released under a different name.

Return to “Effects”