Exponential Audio R4

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Exponential Audio: R4

After a lot of auditioning of R4 and some other reverbs including those I own, also considered "top tier" software reverbs, I decided against R4. First of all, in terms of sheer sound and capability, its not worth $300US in my opinion. That is an incredible price to charge. I am not bought into the Exponential hype or fan-boydom and so I can't add any more rationale to the price other than what I experience first hand from R4 alone. Further, I can't justify the $150US NFR price. However if it were $150US with a transferrable license... maybe.

In the end, I decided to get FabFilter Pro-R which for the $120US I paid over-all has a more reasonable capability-to-price ratio. Pro-R also offers a unique take on reverb control (the decay time EQ) and an over-all very nice sound.

Maybe one day for me and Exponential but for now I will be happy with Phoenixverb.

It's really a shame about that NFR upgrade policy - for me, the Achilles Heel of plugin purchasing.

It can make some nice reverb/delay hybrid spaces

https://soundcloud.com/kymeia/p-cloud

plexuss wrote:After a lot of auditioning of R4 and some other reverbs including those I own, also considered "top tier" software reverbs, I decided against R4. First of all, in terms of sheer sound and capability, its not worth $300US in my opinion. That is an incredible price to charge. I am not bought into the Exponential hype or fan-boydom and so I can't add any more rationale to the price other than what I experience first hand from R4 alone. Further, I can't justify the $150US NFR price. However if it were $150US with a transferrable license... maybe.
That's helpful. I agree that there's some hype here. I demoed Phoenix over the holidays and it was good, but I wasn't feeling the NFR thing which just rubs people the wrong way and I didn't think that it was covering ground that I couldn't already cover.

Since I can't get the $150 price anyway, it's a bit of a non-starter for me.

R4's tempo sync doesn't seem to work.
In both Logic and Live I get this:
Screen Shot 2021-05-30 at 14.44.19.png
I've turned host sync ON.
Anyone else have this issue?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

You have to click either 'Tempo: Note' or 'Tempo: Ratio' in that dropdown to change the dial to become a 'tempo sync'd' value
N.B. This just affects the Pre-delay time rather than the actual reverb time

as far as i can see:
even if the "note" and "ratio" items in the dropdownmenu are geyed out, they can be selected
and will be registered correctly
seems to be a grafic glitch - using: logic 10.5.1/mojave

Ah yes, I was assuming because they were greyed out they weren't available - thank you!

I would not even call it a graphic-glitch - for all EA menue-entries greyed out means unselected.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

I have the problem, that no EA-Effect stores new presets and it seems that it has to do with the fact, that my username contains a non-latin character, which is not very unusual for international buyers. Does anyone have a solution for that? I mean changing the username is no option, because than everything else would not work anymore and try that in W10 anyways... good luck with that :)

R4 and I think most EA plugins are buggy in Studio One and Reason. Hopefully Izotope will update these plugins soon.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

v1o wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:31 pm R4 and I think most EA plugins are buggy in Studio One and Reason. Hopefully Izotope will update these plugins soon.
What kind of bugs did you encounter in S1?

v1o wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:31 pm R4 and I think most EA plugins are buggy in Studio One
Can't confirm that...

HcDoom wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:10 am
v1o wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:31 pm R4 and I think most EA plugins are buggy in Studio One and Reason. Hopefully Izotope will update these plugins soon.
Pops and glitches while flipping between presets or changing preset settings. It's a known issue I've seen it mentioned a few times.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

v1o wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:35 pm
HcDoom wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:10 am
Pops and glitches while flipping between presets or changing preset settings. It's a known issue I've seen it mentioned a few times.
I've had issues with it. I had to uninstall/stop using Nimbus and R4 in S1 awhile back. They'd crash S1 and/or create horrible, near-deafening noises or glitches.

Return to “Effects”