Audio Unit MIDI FX plugins for Logic Pro

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Here is a list of Audio Unit MIDI FX plugins for Logic Pro that I have found so far:

Arps/Sequencers (does not need note input, can run in sync with host)
Thesys
Nerve
B-Step Sequencer
Midi Madness
Stochas
Liquid Music
REPETO
Reaktor 6

Arps/Sequencers (needs note input)
Cthulhu
Nora
Cream
ARPG8R
Numerology
BlueARP

Tools
MIDI FX Freeze
Instascale
Instachord
Patchwork
Plug'n Script
Bidule
Modulation Processor 3244
Sequence Processor 4
Scaler

Anyone know of any others?
Last edited by jbw on Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:29 am, edited 25 times in total.

Found another: Numerology.

Audio Vitamins Stoches
Audio CR MIDI FX freeze
greywolf2004 BlueARP

I really hoped there would be much more.
And since Logic allows me to learn all automation parameters to their midi FX modulator, i would like i could use all midi FX plug-ins this way.
I really miss the Cableguys stuff as midi FX.
And i would like to have apps like Patterning or euclidian sequencers as midi FX inside Logic.
There is a big gap there for me.

Kirnu Cream is the biggest disappointment for me. I typically work in 44.1k and then switch the project rate to 96k for bounce so that I have a 96/24 master. Cream does not work consistentely across different sample rates. Kirnu/Arto refused to fix this essential issue rending Cream useless to anyone working in anything other than 44.1k.
Last edited by plexuss on Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Also RFMusic's Scale Player. Kind of goofy, but also fun, and interesting results.

AudioCR - Midi FX Freeze

This was mentioned above but spelled wrong, I'm really interested in trying this out soon, a sequencer with really interesting randomisation possibilities. The website has less info than the youtube tutorials.

https://www.audiovitamins.com/stochas/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdIX74zuMeQ

Stochas looks pretty good.

You may also be interested in checking out Blue Cat's PatchWork: it is available as an MFX for Logic and it will let you load Audio Units but also VST and VST3 plug-ins and patch them together to create MIDI effect chains. Not all MIDI VSTs are compatible, but many of them will run in Logic thru PatchWork.

And if you are into scripting, Blue Cat's Plug'n Script also has an MFX version. You can write your own MIDI scripts, right inside Logic.

MFX plug-ins have not been advertised that much by Apple and can only be used in Logic if I remember well (and our own hosts too), that's probably why it is not very popular among developers.

Maybe this is unrelated, but how do you send midi from one track to another in Logic Pro X? For instance if I wish to send the sequencer midi data fro Microtonic to a midi track that contains Battery 4.

LFO8 wrote:Maybe this is unrelated, but how do you send midi from one track to another in Logic Pro X? For instance if I wish to send the sequencer midi data fro Microtonic to a midi track that contains Battery 4.
I thought that AUs aren't capable of MIDI out (not when they're not midi fx anyway). So I guess that routing is the least of your concerns :)

Blue Cat Audio wrote:You may also be interested in checking out Blue Cat's PatchWork: it is available as an MFX for Logic and it will let you load Audio Units but also VST and VST3 plug-ins and patch them together to create MIDI effect chains. Not all MIDI VSTs are compatible, but many of them will run in Logic thru PatchWork.

FeelYourSound's MelodicFlow VST unfortunately is one of the ones that doesn't work in PatchWork; it's a fun midi VST, but it causes PatchWork to crash instantly (at least in my setup). However, MelodicFlow does work in Logic (for me at least) when used in Plogue's Bidule MidiFx wrapper, if one is inclined to go that route. (None of which is a criticism of PatchWork, which I own and and generally find very useful and very stable.)

LFO8 wrote:Maybe this is unrelated, but how do you send midi from one track to another in Logic Pro X? For instance if I wish to send the sequencer midi data fro Microtonic to a midi track that contains Battery 4.
It´s not the most friendly workflow but it´s possible of course.
F.e. Load a track with an instrument and the MIDI FX arp. Record some midi notes on this track.
Now if you want to have the midi output of the arp instead of the midi note you actually played you have to do this:
Copy the instrument and create a second track. Now replace the instrument for "external instrument" (you find it under utility in the instruments drop down list).
Open the external instrument and choose the IAC bus as midi destination).
Now drag (not copy) your recorded midi file to this second track.
Bypass the arp on your first track. Now you should arm the record on your first track (not on the second of course). Press record and let the playhead run trough your midi file.
Now it should record all the single midi notes triggered by the arp (or any other midi FX).
Easy :D Not really. But you can save this setting. You also can send it to different midi channels and some other things and whatever.
But i do wish for midi out one Logic AU´s on day. Every tiny iOS app has that option!
And Logic has an option to script your own MIDI FX included too.

Blue Cat Audio wrote:You may also be interested in checking out Blue Cat's PatchWork: it is available as an MFX for Logic and it will let you load Audio Units but also VST and VST3 plug-ins and patch them together to create MIDI effect chains. Not all MIDI VSTs are compatible, but many of them will run in Logic thru PatchWork.

And if you are into scripting, Blue Cat's Plug'n Script also has an MFX version. You can write your own MIDI scripts, right inside Logic.

MFX plug-ins have not been advertised that much by Apple and can only be used in Logic if I remember well (and our own hosts too), that's probably why it is not very popular among developers.
Very nice! Never heard much about it yet but i tested the demo of Patch Work and it works great so far. I have to test it a bit more in depth but looks like i have to buy with the next paycheck.
It´s a bit like the Audiobus app in iOS and i wanted such a fast and easy solution for my mac.
I think i found it now, thank´s!

Return to “Effects”