Alternatives to Sonnox Inflator?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Ok guys, I personally have no horse in this race. I use Inflator rarely. What I'm puzzled about is, why a such respected person like Mr. Frindle would make such a fuzz about the internals then (there are other quotes about Inflators internals I can't find right now):
"It has a distortion profile that is designed to be least perceptible when we are listening to complex and familiar sounds (i.e. music) - it's a kind of aural anomaly. This is why in the special case of a sine wave you can hear it, but in Music it's much less intrusive."
And Sonnox writes:
"The Oxford Inflator can be used to increase loudness of almost any programme material, imparting tube-like warmth and dynamic excitement while retaining dynamic information" .
Text like this made me think of some dynamic processing going on, in the sense Inflator is or may reacting dynamically.
If it is "just" a simple (?) waveshaper I stand corrected and I'm cool with it anyway.

Marketing, would you buy something and paid good buck for it on the way, that is marketed honestly, like yeah, pay for waveshaper with nice GUI and our industry acknowledged name on it, even if you can get alternative for free...

Most devs are selling BS on daily basis and most people are always on the hunt for next thing that will replace their hard work and knowledge with instant results.

Than to fuel the GAS of poor guys, there is always some groundbreaking new tech involved, game changing, patent waiting, just the thing they are waiting for all this time, because this one is better than 10 others you already got...

Passing Bye wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:22 am Than to fuel the GAS of poor guys, there is always some groundbreaking new tech involved, game changing, patent waiting, just the thing they are waiting for all this time, because this one is better than 10 others you already got...
And don't forget on sale, this week only, same price as last sale, oh did you miss the sale? Lucky for you, sale extended! 🤭

:lol:

As far as i remember, Newfangled Audio Elevate Bundle has something similar to the Inflator, but last time I checked it was extremely heavy on my cpu.
Last edited by Scarlet Pumpernickel on Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Scarlet Pumpernickel wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:56 pm As far as i remember? Newfangled Audio Elevate Bundle has something similar to the Inflator, but last time I checked it was extremely heavy on my cpu.
I have the ELEVATE as well , but one is a multiband limiter,
and Saturate is a clipper.

dosen't feel like it's same category as the Inflator!? :?: :!: :)

sokoleski wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:04 pm
Scarlet Pumpernickel wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:56 pm As far as i remember? Newfangled Audio Elevate Bundle has something similar to the Inflator, but last time I checked it was extremely heavy on my cpu.

AFAIK, Saturate was more of a waveshaper.

sguyader wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:40 am I've seen a video comparing Inflator with Melda plugins (MWaveShaper and MSaturator) and both plugins get the same result as Inflator as shown by null tests:
It is interesting :?

It is 100% a wave shaping function, as detailed here and complete with Melda Waveshaper presets that give results identical to the Inflator plugin
https://gearspace.com/board/showpost.ph ... tcount=118

As an exercise, I implemented some of this functionality as a Max4Live device, so if you use Ableton you could try that.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=557007&p=7969634&hi ... r#p7969634

So based on this, is it fair to say a clipper and a limiter are also a wave shaper ?
Check out some of my latest mixes and remixes:https://soundcloud.com/thinkmusic007

Sausage Fattener
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Skyfall72 wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:09 pm So based on this, is it fair to say a clipper and a limiter are also a wave shaper ?
You can argue most things are a waveshaper. A limiter has controls in the time domain (attack, release) that you will not find in a plugins we refer to as waveshapers or saturation plugs.

A clipper could be described as a special case of a waveshaper that only shapes above a set threshold and is linear below.

Scarlet Pumpernickel wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:34 am

Isn't that what Inflator is?

boob job
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

MogwaiBoy wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:29 pm
Scarlet Pumpernickel wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:34 am

Isn't that what Inflator is?
That's why I brought it up in the first place.

Return to “Effects”