What's your favorite phaser VST?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

sqigls wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:50 am BigRock needs an update.
it suffers from random denormal noise blasts and severe crashes. on both Windows and OSX.
I'm gonna keep sending those guys emails till I'm dead. They're gonna update that thing!

It also needs a new/better gui, and a bunch of leds indicating where in the cycle the phase is, so that it's easier to play it by ear - more accurate, but not too accurate.

If they don't, we should petition some good devs, like Sean, to emulate a new SmallStone MKI and MKII pedals (not the later versions).
"The educated person is one who knows how to find out what he does not know" - George Simmel
“It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.” - John Wooden

BigRock is/was the best in my opinion.
Needs a make up gain though, there's a fair bit of a level drop coming out of that plugin.
i miss their friggon compressor too.
such a sad state of affairs. with skills like that, i'm sure the ArtsAcoustic creators can go far, but dropping off the edge without fixing their plugins, or at least letting their customers know, that's bad form. I can't even get my serials sent to me, cos they still haven't updated my email, after 2-3 years of support email requests.
anyways... i only mention it again to possibly save someone else from the horrible crashes and random noise blasts. I went through them a few times, till i figured out it was BigRock and CL1 who were the culprits. Opening projects for clients and having this WALL of clipping suddenly shred their ears and my speakers. GRRRRRR

Interesting thread and replies.

Now, I still have a question even if there's 12 pages of info behind my question. Wich phaser plugin(s) would you suggest purely for sound design, deep, liquid & organic effect, special fx, etc ? Not looking for any analogue emulation or any phaser pedal nor anything like that, but something totally embracing a digital synthetic & artificial phasing sound? Any suggestions? :)

Stunning Phaser

Neon Breath: Uhbik-P would be my recommendation for you. You need to get the whole darn Uhbik-P bundle though, but wow that thing has a sound of it own!

Yeah true-dat, forgot about Uhbik-P... it's very liquid :P
I haven't even activated or heard the Native Instruments freebie (Phasis?)... but apparently that's along these lines of sound design and something different.
I don't generally like that type of 'nasal' high resonant phasing, but that's just me being subjective.

Gone soft wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:12 am Neon Breath: Uhbik-P would be my recommendation for you. You need to get the whole darn Uhbik-P bundle though, but wow that thing has a sound of it own!
Interesting! Thanks for the tip. It's a plugin I've never considered nor even heard. Indeed just for a phaser plugin it would not make sense to get a whole bundle of plugins but who knows. I'll check it out just in case, since most phaser plugins I've tried so far do sound good, but are too tamed or 'regular sounding' to my taste. I'd like something different, more liquidy and wild.

Neon Breath wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:41 pm
Gone soft wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:12 am Neon Breath: Uhbik-P would be my recommendation for you. You need to get the whole darn Uhbik-P bundle though, but wow that thing has a sound of it own!
Interesting! Thanks for the tip. It's a plugin I've never considered nor even heard. Indeed just for a phaser plugin it would not make sense to get a whole bundle of plugins but who knows.
Uhbik is a cool bundle though. I regularly use Uhbik-P, -F and -G, and sometimes -A and -S. Especially -G is really nice for creative work.
For phaser I like both Uhbik-P and Fazortan 2.
Some music with visuals and mixed tutorials related to game dev and sound design: https://www.youtube.com/@MetasideOfficial

metaside wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:56 pm
Interesting! Thanks for the tip. It's a plugin I've never considered nor even heard. Indeed just for a phaser plugin it would not make sense to get a whole bundle of plugins but who knows.
Uhbik is a cool bundle though. I regularly use Uhbik-P, -F and -G, and sometimes -A and -S. Especially -G is really nice for creative work.
Noted! Indeed the granular one is right up my alley as well. Will download the demo bundle tonite and give it a try for sure.

Neon Breath: Uhbik-G (at one time supposed to be named Grain Dad, too bad they didn't stick with that :hihi: ) also has a delicious phase vocoder pitch shifting mode, with the slight drawback that it introduces roughly 2000 samples uncompensated latency. It's uncompensated for stability as not all host deal well with plugins changing latency all of a sudden. Works wonders for pad-ish and kind of "floating" sounds etc.

And there's plenty to love in those others in the bundle, a few I almost never use but I still think I certainly got my moneys worth. For instance Uhbik-S is my favourite frequency shifter. :love: But kind of digressing here now... :P

aMUSEd wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:15 pm Still trying to find a phaser I like the sound of quite as much as the Logic one, although the Soundtoys one is very good
Yea, PhaseMistress is a usable one.
--After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.

-Aldous Huxley

It doesn't phase me.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Neon Breath wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:01 pm
metaside wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:56 pm
Noted! Indeed the granular one is right up my alley as well. Will download the demo bundle tonite and give it a try for sure.
Wow, tried Uhbik-P as suggested and I have to say you guys were right. It's pretty amazing, very rich & organic. Almost feel alive. You really can achieve some crazy liquid metal and melting-like textures. Great suggestion! Now the only thing that is annoying is that I don't really care for the other plugins in the bundle, exept Uhbik-G. I have may ground very well covered already for the rest of the effects so it's rather expensive to get just for a phaser plugin. But man it sounds great... I'll try to get a second hand licence over the marketplace or wait until a sale (does u-he do sales sometimes?)

Sorry Neon Breath, u-he generally doesn't do sales. There's the occasional voucher for answering surveys etc that give a small discount, but they're few and far between. Second hand may be a better bet, though the u-he licenses tend to go at higher prices because they generally don't run sales except introprices. I'd say Uhbik-P and Grain Dad plus the Runciter filter when distorted have such a delightful character of their own that they're absolutely worth it to me, and then there's Uhbik-S which I find has a sound of its own and with the phase among other things as an automatable parameter which we don't see too often in frequency shifters. You can set the shift in S to 0 Hz and just automate the phase for different effects or use whatever waveforms your DAWs LFOs/modulators has. Also organic sounding plugins are really a u-he speciality, by either purchasing from them or at least getting a second hand license you're directly or inderectly part of keeping them in business thus keeping the goodness flowing. ;-) And customer support is generally amazing. Consider there are dedicated phaser plusings that cost you 129$ just for a phaser and a phaser only. Though if moneys too tight too mention offcourse consider carefully...

Gone soft wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:31 am Sorry Neon Breath, u-he generally doesn't do sales. There's the occasional voucher for answering surveys etc that give a small discount, but they're few and far between. Second hand may be a better bet, though the u-he licenses tend to go at higher prices because they generally don't run sales except introprices. I'd say Uhbik-P and Grain Dad plus the Runciter filter when distorted have such a delightful character of their own that they're absolutely worth it to me, and then there's Uhbik-S which I find has a sound of its own and with the phase among other things as an automatable parameter which we don't see too often in frequency shifters. You can set the shift in S to 0 Hz and just automate the phase for different effects or use whatever waveforms your DAWs LFOs/modulators has. Also organic sounding plugins are really a u-he speciality, by either purchasing from them or at least getting a second hand license you're directly or inderectly part of keeping them in business thus keeping the goodness flowing. ;-) And customer support is generally amazing. Consider there are dedicated phaser plusings that cost you 129$ just for a phaser and a phaser only. Though if moneys too tight too mention offcourse consider carefully...
Thanks for the reply & info. You are right, about the price. Some others phasers are near that price, for one single plugin... I'll explore the possibilities of a second hand licence, if I can't find any I'll get the licence via u-he when I can the timing is good, money wise.

Thanks again, love Uhbik-P. Really impressed by its sound.

Return to “Effects”