What's your favorite phaser VST?

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Effects discussion
User avatar
4damind
KVRAF
5035 posts since 17 Aug, 2004 from Berlin, Germany

Post Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:49 am

The difference between Bigrock and Mikron Phaser is not such big...
Mikron Phaser
Bigrock
Uhbik P (Alpha)

With a pad:
Bigrock - Pad
Mikron - Pad
Uhbik P - Pad (Alpha)

Btw... my top 3 list ;)
  1. Bigrock is still my favourite phaser with the most pleasing sound without the needs of much tuning and fiddling with parameters. Is not actively developed and needs some tricks to get it working in a 64Bit environment.
  2. 112dB Mikron Phaser is very close but needs some important features like host sync of the LFO. Still in Beta
  3. Softube Fix Phaser has a very pleasing sound and is easy to use. Not a lightweight on the CPU. Sometimes problems with GUI freezes which could be based on their OpenGL implementation (I have OpenGL disabled in the plugin settings after I had also some freezes)
  4. Uhbik-P has the most features and now also with a classic 4 stage mode. Needs more fiddling with the different parameters... the sound is ok, but not my favorite. Alpha state so more for testing and early adopters.

HunterKiller
KVRAF
2124 posts since 10 Mar, 2006

Re: What's your favorite phaser VST?

Post Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:35 pm

I remember when BigTone was helping the ArtsAcoustic guys craft BigRock, they were all very aware that the older 70's SmallStones (MK 1 in particular, as well as the MK 2) were leaps and bounds ahead of the the later 80s/90s/2000s versions. So they were concerned with nailing it, especially in light of Jarre's use of it, and the mods he did to get the sound so wet.

Nice tests above there mate, particularly the second set. Is that a track you've done anywhere?

I found Uhbik's phaser the least impressive, it still doesn't do it for me, after all these years. And BigRock is still king. I think even NI's old Kleinstein phaser might be better than uhbik.
"The educated person is one who knows how to find out what he does not know" - George Simmel
“It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.” - John Wooden

rbn777
KVRer
24 posts since 4 Oct, 2019

Re: What's your favorite phaser VST?

Post Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:27 am

Reading all this talk about Small Stone makes me wonder... Is there still no ITB variant of the "krautrock phaser", the Schulte Compact Phasing A? :)

User avatar
4damind
KVRAF
5035 posts since 17 Aug, 2004 from Berlin, Germany

Re: What's your favorite phaser VST?

Post Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:03 am

HunterKiller wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:35 pm
I remember when BigTone was helping the ArtsAcoustic guys craft BigRock, they were all very aware that the older 70's SmallStones (MK 1 in particular, as well as the MK 2) were leaps and bounds ahead of the the later 80s/90s/2000s versions. So they were concerned with nailing it, especially in light of Jarre's use of it, and the mods he did to get the sound so wet.

Nice tests above there mate, particularly the second set. Is that a track you've done anywhere?

I found Uhbik's phaser the least impressive, it still doesn't do it for me, after all these years. And BigRock is still king. I think even NI's old Kleinstein phaser might be better than uhbik.
Of course they are not all Smallstone emulations, so the differences in sound are understandable. As far as I know Uhbik-P does not emulate hardware (?), so it sounds more like a "technically accurate" phaser and not very "lush" or "analog".

The phasers are only for testing on the pad. In the track I'm working on the pad is ducked and without a phaser ;)

User avatar
sqigls
KVRAF
4305 posts since 25 Dec, 2004 from Melbourne, Australia

Re: What's your favorite phaser VST?

Post Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:14 am

this one is great, but i have shite timing with sales, so i don't own it and can't compare to offer any review.

https://www.nembriniaudio.com/products/ ... r-wha-vibe

User avatar
4damind
KVRAF
5035 posts since 17 Aug, 2004 from Berlin, Germany

Re: What's your favorite phaser VST?

Post Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:02 am

sqigls wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:14 am
this one is great, but i have shite timing with sales, so i don't own it and can't compare to offer any review.

https://www.nembriniaudio.com/products/ ... r-wha-vibe
It has some analog vibe but the rack version has "only" 2 mono phasers. This "wandering sound" in the stereo image you cannot achieve with this phaser. I have it installed and played a bit with it but I don't like it. The Phazevibe needs an iLok and is on sale for $39

TIMT
KVRian
731 posts since 8 Mar, 2009

Re: What's your favorite phaser VST?

Post Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:28 pm

rbn777 wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:27 am
Reading all this talk about Small Stone makes me wonder... Is there still no ITB variant of the "krautrock phaser", the Schulte Compact Phasing A? :)
There was an old 32bit SynthEdit one by WOK i think,but yeah.32bit and Synth Edit.mileage may vary :D
I

rbn777
KVRer
24 posts since 4 Oct, 2019

Re: What's your favorite phaser VST?

Post Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:26 am

TIMT wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:28 pm
rbn777 wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:27 am
Reading all this talk about Small Stone makes me wonder... Is there still no ITB variant of the "krautrock phaser", the Schulte Compact Phasing A? :)
There was an old 32bit SynthEdit one by WOK i think,but yeah.32bit and Synth Edit.mileage may vary :D
I found the same thing when googling, yeah - a KVR thread about it actually, unfortunately the plugin itself is nowhere to be found anymore :( No issue with the 32 bits, I could just jBridge it. And if it sounds good, it is good, SynthEdit or not :)

User avatar
Forgotten
KVRAF
11472 posts since 15 Apr, 2019 from Nowhere

Re: What's your favorite phaser VST?

Post Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:11 am

I like the phaser setting of EHX’s ‘The Worm’. It’s not an emulation of any specific analog pedals, but it sounds great with a crunchy or slightly distorted guitar sound.

User avatar
vurt
addled muppet weed
65238 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Re: What's your favorite phaser VST?

Post Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:43 am

Forgotten wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:11 am
I like the phaser setting of EHX’s ‘The Worm’. It’s not an emulation of any specific analog pedals, but it sounds great with a crunchy or slightly distorted guitar sound.
the vst version?

:lol:

User avatar
Forgotten
KVRAF
11472 posts since 15 Apr, 2019 from Nowhere

Re: What's your favorite phaser VST?

Post Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:27 am

vurt wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:43 am
Forgotten wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:11 am
I like the phaser setting of EHX’s ‘The Worm’. It’s not an emulation of any specific analog pedals, but it sounds great with a crunchy or slightly distorted guitar sound.
the vst version?

:lol:
May...be.... :oops:

User avatar
vurt
addled muppet weed
65238 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Re: What's your favorite phaser VST?

Post Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:29 am

Forgotten wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:27 am
vurt wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:43 am
Forgotten wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:11 am
I like the phaser setting of EHX’s ‘The Worm’. It’s not an emulation of any specific analog pedals, but it sounds great with a crunchy or slightly distorted guitar sound.
the vst version?

:lol:
May...be.... :oops:
didnt you also start talking software in a hardware thread recently?
have you been kicked in the head lately? :lol:

User avatar
Forgotten
KVRAF
11472 posts since 15 Apr, 2019 from Nowhere

Re: What's your favorite phaser VST?

Post Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:36 am

vurt wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:29 am
Forgotten wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:27 am
vurt wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:43 am
Forgotten wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:11 am
I like the phaser setting of EHX’s ‘The Worm’. It’s not an emulation of any specific analog pedals, but it sounds great with a crunchy or slightly distorted guitar sound.
the vst version?

:lol:
May...be.... :oops:
didnt you also start talking software in a hardware thread recently?
have you been kicked in the head lately? :lol:
Um...head hurt...no remember...

User avatar
vurt
addled muppet weed
65238 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Re: What's your favorite phaser VST?

Post Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:39 am

:hihi:

User avatar
harryupbabble
KVRAF
2096 posts since 20 Mar, 2012 from Babbleon

Re: What's your favorite phaser VST?

Post Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:57 am

if it's a phaser, the one in this song is my favourite. okay, maybe it's a plunger. i dunno.

i'm a guitar pedal loser so why don't you kill me. or better yet:

i'm a slacker so lemmy why don't you choke me. :)

https://youtu.be/8RV3UALgBr8
ah böwakawa poussé poussé

Return to “Effects”