Helix Native plugin

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Helix Native

SLiC wrote:Its very responsive I think, I am drawn to the clean sounds (not so sure about the heavy sounds yet),

Whatever the delay was in getting this out, they didn't spend the time on the GUI or pre-set manager!!
This is portable to the hardware. This setup is actually really good for hardware. Not so much for software. The stand alone editor has the same problem. But, on the floor it is as good as I’ve used.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

Hey, at least beats the Kazrog workflow of separate plugins (although I also understand the flexibility of that approach - I still use it, but that doesn't mean I have to LIKE it. I like the resulting sounds, tho!). And IMHO it's much easier to work with than S-Gear, for example. Everything's really straightforward.

EvilDragon wrote:Hey, at least beats the Kazrog workflow of separate plugins (although I also understand the flexibility of that approach - I still use it, but that doesn't mean I have to LIKE it. I like the resulting sounds, tho!). And IMHO it's much easier to work with than S-Gear, for example. Everything's really straightforward.
for sure it isn't some Rube Golbergian approach. It's just better suited to the hardware than the plugin. However, as you point out, it isn't exactly rocket surgery either :lol:

Its pretty strait forward to use and I am OK with the minimalist GUI but its too small on a 4K screen. No sorting pre-sets by type, style, amp etc (as in GR at most other sims) is a bit of an omission.

The sound is very good, but I am pretty sure it isn't $350 better (Line 6 knock 50 bucks of as I own Pod Farm, thanks a bunch!) than Guitar Rig, Amplitube or even Line 6's own POD Farm. My initial feedback would be that its good, probably a bit better than what I have (and I have most software amps!) but not 'that' much better for the price....I will try recording with it in a mix and see if I (or anyone else) can really hear the difference...
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Sound-wise it kills Guitar Rig on the spot - that one has sounded dated for quite some time now (and especially picking response is bad). It is a very big improvement from the POD days, too.

EvilDragon wrote:Sound-wise it kills Guitar Rig on the spot - that one has sounded dated for quite some time now (and especially picking response is bad). It is a very big improvement from the POD days, too.
I still have a soft spot for GR with RAMMFIRE, at least it has a tuner ;-)

I play DI guitars to the desk through a Laney Iornheart preamp pedal, helps a lot with dynamics (for all simulators) as you get a little valve play before you emulate the power and cabinet effects.

Helix sounds good when you keep it simple and build up from an amp to get the sound you need, but some of those pre-sets are bloody awful, especially the ones that (I assume by the corny names) are supposed to sound like famous guitar songs.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

EvilDragon wrote:Sound-wise it kills Guitar Rig on the spot - that one has sounded dated for quite some time now (and especially picking response is bad). It is a very big improvement from the POD days, too.
I had to laugh because it sounds dated because it IS dated.

As far as these thing are concerned: I've spent so much time and money on all this I should be in shock-therapy for how ridiculous I am.

If I win the lottery I might try it someday, but I simply must resist for now (besides, AT4 seems to be doing it for me for now)

SJ_Digriz wrote:
Numanoid wrote:
SJ_Digriz wrote:
Numanoid wrote:With Native they mean it is an VST plug ?
or AU or AAX
I got POD Studio UX1 via their UX1 interface, that plug can't be used without the interface.

But Helix is thus free of any such hardware restrictions right?
yes, it's a plugin just like amplitube or S-Gear etc...
So basically it is more or less like any FX plug.

How often is Native used to describe a plug these days, it is like 2002 speak.

Most user these days don't get why Native Instruments is called that ;)

Numanoid wrote:
How often is Native used to describe a plug these days, it is like 2002 speak.
Evidently you don’t know what it means either as the word answers the question you’ve now asked multiple times.

Also, it is used constantly when discussing plugins that require external DSP vs “native” hosting. People have been saying lunch for a few thousand years ... I still like the word and show up on time.

Neat, while I payed that kind of scratch for Guitar Rig and AmpliTube
back in the day, I really cant stand either one of them anymore. My
equally costly, line 6 stuff, hasn't fared much better.

With competition like Kazrog Thermionik available for way less, I'll pass.
Even if the Thermionik was twice the price it is, I'd still choose it's sound
over this.

Oddly, I wouldn't mind having the Helix hardware unit for the neat factor.

-Cheers :phones:

EvilDragon wrote:Oh wow, just played it a bit.

It sounds pretty damn good, and with a bit of tweaking I can get what I hear in my head, pretty effortlessly! So not sure what kind of sounds zvenx is really after, honestly. :)

Will need more detailed testing, of course. For me Kazrog is still the king as far as response to player input is concerned. Let's see how good the Helix gets.
I tend to like cleaner sounds, but even the more distorted sounds it did nothing for me at all.
i guess it has its crowd :-)
rsp
sound sculptist

It has great cleans for sure, and Plexi model is really great for that proper dirty rock sound. I find nothing wrong with it :) The AC-30 emulation is very very nice, too. Included effects are also excellent - can make those cleans really sparkle.

EvilDragon wrote:It has great cleans for sure, and Plexi model is really great for that proper dirty rock sound. I find nothing wrong with it :) Included effects are also excellent.
got to be different strokes for different folks.....I found it very brittle sounding....tested about 40 presets and made some of my own...then switched over each guitar part to a th3 and s-amp insert and in all cases I preferred the latter ones....when even guitar rig which has been begging to be updated has a tone that is more pleasing to me, I knew it was time to uninstall.....
But different people have different aesthetics.

Maybe my beta was broken? :-)
I tried it both on live guitars and guitar tracks recorded 'dry' before.

rsp
sound sculptist

Eh. Not sure what to say. To me it sounds better than GR in all amp and cabinet related areas, clean or drive. Not just sounds, but feels and responds better and more realistically. It's better on drives than S-Gear, cleans are about there, but I give Line6 FX a very big edge over S-Gear (simply the variety and quality of FX is stunning, S-Gear is so basic here it hurts). Don't have TH3 so won't judge, their GUI never clicked with me for some reason.

Like I implied, enough variety for everyone to find theirs.

But I have never liked line6 sounds, and thinking about it the previous ones I bought were on sale, GAS took over, and I just never used them in projects.....

its like Galien Krueger bass amps. many people like them, I have never played or heard one I liked.

rsp
sound sculptist

Return to “Effects”