H3000 Factory Questions

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
H3000 Factory

dubguy99 wrote:H3000 factory only has a few of the algorithms (3? 4?) from the hardware so the presets are actually kind of limited IMO, at least in terms of stuff that you can actually use. I'll never understand why they won't port over all the algorithms, the H3000 hasn't been in production in ages.
So you're saying even programming this thing from scratch you can't make all the sounds that the hardware version can make?

It only includes a subset of algos the hardware has, it's just a partial port
Amazon: why not use an alternative

The HOFA System could serve as a nice modular alternative to this probably.

VariKusBrainZ wrote:It only includes a subset of algos the hardware has, it's just a partial port
So it's $350 for a partial port of the hardware?

That's absolutely ridiculous.

Well, I guess this is one piece of software I can cross off my to-buy list.

wagtunes wrote:
VariKusBrainZ wrote:It only includes a subset of algos the hardware has, it's just a partial port

You know... you might get a lot of use out of Anthology X. I have 4-5 of the plugins in there and they are great for crazy vintage early digital type sound. They do capture the Eventide sound of the day. I have no direct experience with working with Eventide hardware, however I listen to a lot of band of the day that used their products and they have a very distinctive sound. there is someone selling Anthology X in the Sell section for $400. could probably talk them down some. $350? that would be a pretty good deal for all that you get.

wagtunes wrote:

I’m not an expert on the hardware, but my understanding is that H3000 Factory is just ONE of the many algorithms from the hardware box.

I don’t know if it’ll get you what you want, but the H9 pedal is pretty versatile. Not cheap either though.

Otherwise, I second the suggestions of Unfinished Audio, SoundToys, mxxx, and Guitar Rig. All pretty good choices.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Wait for sales and pick up Anthology and Soundtoys - Anthology is definitely worth it and Soundtoys is different enough to not overlap too much.

Between the two, you'll be able to cover pretty much all your bases, IMO. Good luck!

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm gonna sit on this for a while and see if any sales come around during the holidays. This is not a rush. Just something I'd like to have as I do a lot of experimental music when I'm not doing Japanese Karaoke on crack.

As some others pointed out above H3000 Factory is not a complete recreation of the hardware. It's only one algorithm. Band Delays is another one they have ported to vst.
No signature here!

plexuss wrote:
wagtunes wrote:

You know... you might get a lot of use out of Anthology X. I have 4-5 of the plugins in there and they are great for crazy vintage early digital type sound. They do capture the Eventide sound of the day. I have no direct experience with working with Eventide hardware, however I listen to a lot of band of the day that used their products and they have a very distinctive sound. there is someone selling Anthology X in the Sell section for $400. could probably talk them down some. $350? that would be a pretty good deal for all that you get.
The main reason I upgraded to the Anthology when that deal was on was the H910 (and the H949). I had demoed it before. The H910 is one of those plugins that you didn't know you needed until you tried it. Other plugins do pitch shifted delays but nothing sounds as good as these IMHO.

For your intended purpose Wags I think you would love them.

The best deals will be for this who already own 1 or 2 plugins included with Anthology, we all got amazing deals last year. I had a couple of the free ones and a really cheap Blackhole and got the upgrade for under $99

Like wise Softube a few years ago
Amazon: why not use an alternative

First things first: The H3000 was an amazing processor when it was current. That was a long time ago. Sure, it would be great to have one now, but you have so, so, so very much available to you even with the builtin plugins that come with modern DAWs that... well, the H3000 isn't that amazing anymore. I bought one, had one, played with it a lot and sold it again. The more modern Eventide units are wonderful, too, but still not what they used to be vs native processing.

The presets that come with H3000 factory and the plugin itself were disappointing to me. You don't get the good reverbs, you don't get the best pitch shifting, etc. Skip it.

If you want a diverse set of plugins that will work alone and together to make amazing effects in the same vein as an H3000 but on a modern DAW there are some things you can do:

1. Are you a preset user or maker? You need to know this. The presets were the main reason people dug the H3000. They were good and there were a lot of them. If you want to use presets I would get the Soundtoyz bundle. Lots os plugs, lots of presets and the Effect Rack setup where there are presets that use multiple plugins gives you that flavor -- also Soundtoyz is run by ex-Eventide folks.

If you are a preset maker I would recommend the following:

Blue Cat Patch work: https://www.bluecataudio.com/Products/P ... PatchWork/

This gives you a way to make complex effects programs that aggregate multiple plugins and *save* them. For me it is fundamental to my workflow. Aggregating multiple effects into one block and controlling gain staging going in and out of plugins is central to doing this kind of work imo, and this gives you both.

Then build a collection of plugins. The Soundtoyz stuff is fantastic, but if you could just get Echoboy that's a great place to start. Echoboy isn't just a delay processor-- it has a great saturator section (set 100% wet, delay time to zero, no feedback) that can do more than you'd think. Then get a filter... I think that The Drop is pretty supreme here and also gives you a lot of saturator features, and a reverb, etc. You can build an excellent collection from the classified section on KVR. And, this is just me, but I would get one of the Brainworx channel strips or something like that. EQ, comp and gain control are the things that most people don't deal with when working with effects and they make all the difference.

And... if you are interested in the H3000 it is worth reading a few articles about Brian Eno's use of the device. Forget the H3k -- he developed a way of thinking about audio processing that, yes, *used* an H3k, but that wasn't the point: the way he was thinking of processing tracks and whole mixes using feedback and other techniques is amazing and still revolutionary. We now all have infinite power in the studio but we're not operating on the level that he was 30 years ago. Hell, he was in the studio with Bowie making Heroes using Eventide H910's more than 40 years ago!

All best.

Also forgot to mention Augustus Loop. http://www.expert-sleepers.co.uk/augustusloop.html especially the fx send version that comes with it. Amazing what you can do with this.

n9 wrote:First things first: The H3000 was an amazing processor when it was current. That was a long time ago. Sure, it would be great to have one now, but you have so, so, so very much available to you even with the builtin plugins that come with modern DAWs that... well, the H3000 isn't that amazing anymore. I bought one, had one, played with it a lot and sold it again. The more modern Eventide units are wonderful, too, but still not what they used to be vs native processing.

The presets that come with H3000 factory and the plugin itself were disappointing to me. You don't get the good reverbs, you don't get the best pitch shifting, etc. Skip it.

If you want a diverse set of plugins that will work alone and together to make amazing effects in the same vein as an H3000 but on a modern DAW there are some things you can do:

1. Are you a preset user or maker? You need to know this. The presets were the main reason people dug the H3000. They were good and there were a lot of them. If you want to use presets I would get the Soundtoyz bundle. Lots os plugs, lots of presets and the Effect Rack setup where there are presets that use multiple plugins gives you that flavor -- also Soundtoyz is run by ex-Eventide folks.

If you are a preset maker I would recommend the following:

Blue Cat Patch work: https://www.bluecataudio.com/Products/P ... PatchWork/

This gives you a way to make complex effects programs that aggregate multiple plugins and *save* them. For me it is fundamental to my workflow. Aggregating multiple effects into one block and controlling gain staging going in and out of plugins is central to doing this kind of work imo, and this gives you both.

Then build a collection of plugins. The Soundtoyz stuff is fantastic, but if you could just get Echoboy that's a great place to start. Echoboy isn't just a delay processor-- it has a great saturator section (set 100% wet, delay time to zero, no feedback) that can do more than you'd think. Then get a filter... I think that The Drop is pretty supreme here and also gives you a lot of saturator features, and a reverb, etc. You can build an excellent collection from the classified section on KVR. And, this is just me, but I would get one of the Brainworx channel strips or something like that. EQ, comp and gain control are the things that most people don't deal with when working with effects and they make all the difference.

And... if you are interested in the H3000 it is worth reading a few articles about Brian Eno's use of the device. Forget the H3k -- he developed a way of thinking about audio processing that, yes, *used* an H3k, but that wasn't the point: the way he was thinking of processing tracks and whole mixes using feedback and other techniques is amazing and still revolutionary. We now all have infinite power in the studio but we're not operating on the level that he was 30 years ago. Hell, he was in the studio with Bowie making Heroes using Eventide H910's more than 40 years ago!

All best.
First off, thanks. This was extremely helpful.

After going to the Bluecat page, I am a little fuzzy on exactly what this unit is and isn't capable of doing. So let me ask a specific question that hopefully will give you an idea of the kinds of things I would like to be able to do that I can't do now.

Can I take 2 delays and say a chorus and modulate the feedback of one delay with the delay time of the other delay and have the feedback modulate the chorus depth?

In other words, is this a modular system where one FX can modulate another FX and not just chain them together? Because I can chain FX together right now in Cubase. I don't need Bluecat to do that. What I can't do in Cubase (at least I haven't figured out how) is modulate one FX with another FX. I can do this in a modular system like Softube (modulate one delay with another) but outside of that, not possible to the best of my knowledge.

I'm not against using presets. I do many times if it's something that gives me exactly what I want. But in most cases I will program my FX from scratch.

So what exactly can this Bluecat do and not do?

Oh, and obviously it comes with no actual FX itself. Those have to be provided.

My main FX right now are the following

Valhalla (all their units)
MeldaProduction MUnison (for vocals)

That's really about it. The Valhalla stuff is great but I can't modulate one FX unit by another FX unit.

wagtunes wrote:
In other words, is this a modular system where one FX can modulate another FX and not just chain them together? Because I can chain FX together right now in Cubase. I don't need Bluecat to do that. What I can't do in Cubase (at least I haven't figured out how) is modulate one FX with another FX. I can do this in a modular system like Softube (modulate one delay with another) but outside of that, not possible to the best of my knowledge.
Don't know about Patchwork but I think you need a modular.

Softube Modular doesn't have a lot of effect modules at the moment. I imagine VCVrack will be populated by them far quicker. At the moment Reaktor Blocks is your best bet.

I think you have to ask yourself though: what effect is it that I want and can't be delivered by a sophisticated multiband chainer with per-effect modulation but also global modulators such as MXXX.

Return to “Effects”