H3000 Factory Questions

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
H3000 Factory

lnikj wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
In other words, is this a modular system where one FX can modulate another FX and not just chain them together? Because I can chain FX together right now in Cubase. I don't need Bluecat to do that. What I can't do in Cubase (at least I haven't figured out how) is modulate one FX with another FX. I can do this in a modular system like Softube (modulate one delay with another) but outside of that, not possible to the best of my knowledge.
Don't know about Patchwork but I think you need a modular.

Softube Modular doesn't have a lot of effect modules at the moment. I imagine VCVrack will be populated by them far quicker. At the moment Reaktor Blocks is your best bet.

I think you have to ask yourself though: what effect is it that I want and can't be delivered by a sophisticated multiband chainer with per-effect modulation but also global modulators such as MXXX.
The problem with MXXX is it's like $1,500. I'm not spending that much money on an FX package no matter how good it is.

wagtunes wrote:
lnikj wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
In other words, is this a modular system where one FX can modulate another FX and not just chain them together? Because I can chain FX together right now in Cubase. I don't need Bluecat to do that. What I can't do in Cubase (at least I haven't figured out how) is modulate one FX with another FX. I can do this in a modular system like Softube (modulate one delay with another) but outside of that, not possible to the best of my knowledge.

Softube Modular doesn't have a lot of effect modules at the moment. I imagine VCVrack will be populated by them far quicker. At the moment Reaktor Blocks is your best bet.

I think you have to ask yourself though: what effect is it that I want and can't be delivered by a sophisticated multiband chainer with per-effect modulation but also global modulators such as MXXX.
The problem with MXXX is it's like $1,500. I'm not spending that much money on an FX package no matter how good it is.
You don't need the full thing. You need MXXXCore and the Creative Bundle. MXXXCore is 50% off about every 3 months on their weekly deal. The bundles go at 50% for one day only a couple of times a year.

The H3000 plugin has a lot of really interesting presets, and sounds good; I wouldn't discount it even it doesn't include all the algorithms of the original hardware. I also like the Hofa System 1.
A well-behaved signature.

lnikj wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
lnikj wrote:
wagtunes wrote:

You don't need the full thing. You need MXXXCore and the Creative Bundle. MXXXCore is 50% off about every 3 months on their weekly deal. The bundles go at 50% for one day only a couple of times a year.
Okay, I found MXXXCore, which is 99 pounds and I assume doesn't actually come with anything by itself as it appears to just be a shell to contain their FX.

I can't find anything called Creative Bundle anywhere.

I've found MTotalFXBundle and MCompleteBundle but no Creative Bundle.

Okay, so 99 pounds for MXXXCore and 500 pounds for 31 FX.

Um, yeah, I'll pass.

No worries. But note, as I said, both are obtainable at half that price (and sometimes less in the market place).

H3000 Factory actually doesn't really have much of a sound of ist own - the Hardware has, but that's mainly dues to i's AD/DA sections, which were developed/designed by Dave Derr (of ELI (Distressor) fame) - these have not been modelled for the plugin (which is age-old and has a tiny GUI)

Hofa System (which has been mentioned before in this thread) is probably the most powerful modular FX environment. It can do it all:

Multiband
Feedback
Parallel
Mid/Side

and basically any combination of these. It is unbelievably powerful. Frankly put: it pisses all over MXXX - and costs nothing.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jens wrote:H3000 Factory actually doesn't really have much of a sound of ist own - the Hardware has, but that's mainly dues to i's AD/DA sections, which were developed/designed by Dave Derr (of ELI (Distressor) fame) - these have not been modelled for the plugin (which is age-old and has a tiny GUI)

Hofa System (which has been mentioned before in this thread) is probably the most powerful modular FX environment. It can do it all:

Multiband
Feedback
Parallel
Mid/Side

and basically any combination of these. It is unbelievably powerful. Frankly put: it pisses all over MXXX - and costs nothing.
Okay, I went to the site but I'm totally confused. It says free for all users of System 1. I don't have System 1. So what will it cost me and what exactly is in it? It says 22 FX but I can't find anywhere where these FX are listed.

Okay, I found the price 79 euro which is a little over $80. That's pretty cheap.

But I still can't find anywhere on the site where these "22 high end modules" are listed.

Does somebody have a link to a product listing page where these modules are listed?

when you say "modulate one fx unit with another" I'm not sure what that means.

in my mind things break down like this:

there are audio signals that go from device to device

then there are control signals that originate somewhere and can control one or more things.

I'm guessing you are not talking about audio signals modulating controls, so this must be control signals.

To me that could mean one of several things:

1 one knob/controller controlling multiple parameters on multiple devices.
2 a knob/controller for a parameter in one device controlling one or more parameters in other devices.
3 an envelope follower or LFO in one device being able to control multiple devices.

1 is easy. DAW dependent. Live does this very very well. Not sure about Cubase.
2 is not easy. I would do 1 instead.
3 is not really possible in most DAW environments -- plugins in general do not generate controller messages internally. I would instead use MIDI plugins or other sources of controller data to control plugins. Ableton Studio + Max4Live is the best conventional DAW to do this kind of thing, but Reason is where this kind of work is actually the best implemented and easiest. It's truly an amazing modular environment where you can do this kind of control patching.

To me it sounds like you would be well served by spending some time demoing things and poking around. Sounds like you have some good tools. Don't shoot too high at this point: you can kill your productivity dead by obsessing about doing things like what you are talking about and focusing on tools.

Best.

n9 wrote:when you say "modulate one fx unit with another" I'm not sure what that means.

in my mind things break down like this:

there are audio signals that go from device to device

then there are control signals that originate somewhere and can control one or more things.

I'm guessing you are not talking about audio signals modulating controls, so this must be control signals.

To me that could mean one of several things:

1 one knob/controller controlling multiple parameters on multiple devices.
2 a knob/controller for a parameter in one device controlling one or more parameters in other devices.
3 an envelope follower or LFO in one device being able to control multiple devices.

1 is easy. DAW dependent. Live does this very very well. Not sure about Cubase.
2 is not easy. I would do 1 instead.
3 is not really possible in most DAW environments -- plugins in general do not generate controller messages internally. I would instead use MIDI plugins or other sources of controller data to control plugins. Ableton Studio + Max4Live is the best conventional DAW to do this kind of thing, but Reason is where this kind of work is actually the best implemented and easiest. It's truly an amazing modular environment where you can do this kind of control patching.

To me it sounds like you would be well served by spending some time demoing things and poking around. Sounds like you have some good tools. Don't shoot too high at this point: you can kill your productivity dead by obsessing about doing things like what you are talking about and focusing on tools.

Best.
To answer your question, all 3. I understand that 2 is not easy and 3 is impossible unless you have something like Reason (which I don't have) which excels at stuff like this.

It's not about obsessing. It's about attempting to do a musical project where I know I am going to need the kind of complex modulations that I'm looking for. I know what I want. I just want to know what I need to do in order to achieve what I want without spending a fortune to do it.

JerGoertz wrote:The H3000 plugin has a lot of really interesting presets, and sounds good; I wouldn't discount it even it doesn't include all the algorithms of the original hardware.
Exactly. And, if it were me, I'd be looking into the full Anthology bundle as it includes the things you may be missing by having the H3000 Factory alone. If you can find a couple of the single plugs cheap (like Ultrchannel, Blackhole, etc), I'd buy those and upgrade to the full Anthology bundle when they run their next sale. I saved a lot of money when I upgraded last year.

jens wrote:H3000 Factory actually doesn't really have much of a sound of ist own - the Hardware has, but that's mainly dues to i's AD/DA sections, which were developed/designed by Dave Derr (of ELI (Distressor) fame) - these have not been modelled for the plugin (which is age-old and has a tiny GUI)

Multiband
Feedback
Parallel
Mid/Side

The great thing about the H3000 is the presets, it is years of quality engineers mucking about with it that makes it great, it's more a "sum of its parts" thing. That being said, if you are willing to get your hands dirty, Hofa System 2 for 80 Euros will probably smoke the H3000.

I've been keeping my eye on Hofa System for a while now, haven't taken the plunge yet 'cause I need some basic math modules(hobbyist programmer - I need math man) and more delays options(reverse, allpass(delay), multi-tap(for efficiency), lattice allpass etc. etc.), and more modulation options(Envelope - ADSR minimum, Pitch Track, Envelope Track etc). If that was added, it could compete with the H8000FW, never-mind the lowly H3000.

Return to “Effects”