H3000 Factory Questions

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
H3000 Factory

Thanks. I think I understand the limitations and what my options are. I'm just going to drop the whole idea for now. Yes, there are partial solutions but at what those partial solutions are going to cost me, not worth it. If I'm going to spend hundreds of dollars, I'm not interested in partial solutions. And any solution, such as Reaktor, that requires an enormous learning curve, I'm not interested in either. All I want to do is string some FX together and have them interact with each other. In Cubase I can automate parameters over time but that is an enormous amount of work. I'd rather have something that is automatic upon patching the cables, matrix, whatever. I mean if I had to go into my piano roll and draw my mod wheel commands, I'd sell my whole PC studio and go back to hardware. In 2017 what I'm looking to do SHOULD already exist without having to get a degree in DSP programming.

lnikj wrote: The fact that there is no plugin that does exactly what you want probably reflects that there is no market for one.
What? There are plenty of (semi-)modular FX environments and a some of them have been mentioned here in this thread.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

wagtunes wrote: In 2017 what I'm looking to do SHOULD already exist without having to get a degree in DSP programming.
And it does - however it will require some minimal cerebral effort (a walk in the park for most of us really), and some of what you wrote here seems to indicate that either you can't or do not want to invest these required neuronal activities.

(Then again, I've never seen a naked man being robbed of his wallet either, so there you have it... )
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Any recommendations fail until Wag understands the types of signals that are present in the audio (synth & fx) world and how to generate and/or process them. Before he hasn't learn those absolute basics it's just a waste of time. :neutral:

jens wrote:...
(Then again, I've never seen a naked man being robbed of his wallet either, so there you have it... )
No, but he can get squeezed in the nuts. :clown: Which one is worse?...

wagtunes wrote:
The OP understands pretty well that he can't chain two delays in Cubase and have one modulate the other.
Again: a delay can not modulate another delay as a delay is not a modulator. What you wrote is a bit like saying you understand than a Volkswagen won't be able to read you a bedtime story... as if all you had to do was to change the brand of car and you'd be all set for the sweetest of slumbers... (except that you probably have a fair idea of what reading a bedtime Story approximately entails, while you seem to have at best a wildly diffuse idea of what the (imagined) sonic outcome might ever be if you (could and) would modulate a delay with another delay).
Last edited by jens on Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jens wrote:
lnikj wrote: The fact that there is no plugin that does exactly what you want probably reflects that there is no market for one.
What? There are plenty of (semi-)modular FX environments and a some of them have been mentioned here in this thread.
I tried to sell him on MXXX. (I am interested in checking out Hofa myself - I didn't know about that one.)

But they don't satisfy what he specifically wants.

Okay, got you :lol: :hihi:

jens wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
The OP understands pretty well that he can't chain two delays in Cubase and have one modulate the other.
Again: a delay can not modulate another delay as a delay is not a modulator. What you wrote is a bit like saying you understand than a Volkswagen won't be able to read you a bedtime story... as if all you had to do was to change the brand of car and you'd be all set for the sweetest of slumbers... (except that you probably have a fair idea of what reading a bedtime Story approximately entails, while you seem to have at best a wildly diffuse idea of what the (imagined) sonic outcome might ever be if you (could and) would modulate a delay with another delay).
Okay, I'm not a total ditz, contrary to what people here might think of me. So let me give you a very specific example of what it is I'm trying to do.

Here is the setup.

Delay 1 - Not sync'd to DAW. Free flowing at somewhere between 1/8 and 1/12. Feedback at 50%

Delay 2 - Sync'd to DAW at 1/4. Feedback at 33%.

Here is what I want to do. I want to assign a mod wheel to the first delay to modulate the delay time, increase and decrease it. This I can already do with no problem. However, what I also want is the delay time of the first delay to adjust the delay time of the 2nd delay a certain depth (say 75%) based on the mod wheel position. This will, as the rate increases, move the sync of delay 2 from 1/4 to 1/8 to 1/16 and so on depending on what I have the max depth set at.

Without having to go into something like Reaktor and build this (I don't think it's unreasonable to want to go through all that trouble) is there an FX system that will allow me to do this that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. MXXX is stupidly expensive and I'm not shelling out that kind of money.

What you want is simply to be able to modulate both delay-times by the mod-wheel.
Is that a problem in Cubase?
Last edited by jens on Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

YOU are the modulator here. You moving the mod wheel.

Why can't you assign both delay times to be adjusted by the mod wheel with the depth on each how you want it.

And just to reiterate what I wrote earlier (sometimes I have difficulties expressing myself (and especially in English, which is not my native language), so please forgive me): a delay can not modulate something else because a delay is NOT a Modulator.

That was an easy fix. No need to get the wallet out.

lnikj wrote:YOU are the modulator here. You moving the mod wheel.

Why can't you assign both delay times to be adjusted by the mod wheel with the depth on each how you want it.
The modulation of the delay time of delay 2 is going to be proportional to the fluctuating delay time of delay 1. I would have to calculate (and I have no idea what kind of math I'd need to do) how much to set the depth for on the 2nd delay in order to get the effect that I want, where simply having the one delay time modulate the other delay time based on the fluctuation of the delay itself is much easier.

That's why I don't want to go through the hassle of figuring this out in my head.

But okay, that's too simple an example for you?

Here's another one.

2 LFOs rate controlled via mod wheel.

LFO 1 modulates depth of delay
LFO 2 modulates rate of delay

For starters, I don't even have any LFO FX processors. I've never looked to see if any exist. I'm sure they do but I don't own any.

2nd, I'm sure if there are any, it's unlikely I'm going to be able to use them to modulate another FX as they are probably limited to modulating a synth sound.

Something else "basic" (at least to me) that I would like to do.

Okay, you think you've solved my first problem (you really haven't) but I won't harp on that one.

How do I solve this one?

Cableguys midishaper or Xfer's LFOtool are external tools if your DAW doesn't provide them.

I don't use Cubase so I don't know if it makes all parameters available for modulation.

Return to “Effects”