SKnote release Disto-S - A Distressor, fast and effective.

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

zeep wrote:
jbarish wrote:
Robert Randolph wrote:
quintosardo wrote:Looks like somebody has never seen the fonts on a real Distress, here :lol:

You're welcome ;)
I own a real distressor, and the font kerning and weight in Disto-S aren't correct at the very least.

I'm not sure what your point is here.

You're not the only one, Robert. Posts on GS say the attack and release on Disto-S aren't quite right.
Since there's no demo to try, I guess I'll have to wait until I hear that's been fixed :(
I thought in that thread Quinto finetuned the attack / release already.
That would be nice to know, if true. Since there's no demo to try, we'll have to rely on the opinion of those that have already purchased. Robert would you say the attack and release issues with Disto-S have been fixed??

A question that i ask myself regarding distressor emus in general:
If i take a allround compressor like u-he Presswerk, DC8C2 etc, what are the features of a distressor (emu) which can't be achieved by the other ones?
Is it just a workflow thing or are there different functions/characteristics?

shroom81 wrote:It's doing something odd on my win7 machine, most of the controls do nothing except for volume and gain. If I dial the mix back from 10 I hear some nasty distorted sine/square wave.
Please download it again, it was fixed! :)

Anybody with a hw Distressor here?

Really enough of talking of nothing, lets hear some sounds! Then we can run all the tests we want :tu:

quintosardo wrote:Anybody with a hw Distressor here?

Really enough of talking of nothing, lets hear some sounds! Then we can run all the tests we want :tu:
Interesting that you feel we're talking of nothing when we're discussing Disto-S.
Robert is the only one who's mentioned that he has both Disto-S and a Distressor.
I'd very interested to hear if he says the issues with the attack and release have been fixed.
His initial comparison was not terribly favorable to Disto-S.

No, I didn't hear of anybody answering to my question "are we comparing it to a hw unit", everything else is just wasting time.

Do you want an answer (if talking to me, of course)? I need to understand the question.

If we want to compare, let's do it! That's where the fun is. But we need to hear it. A forum about audio without a single bit of audio?

Come on, let's talk of something real, let's hear it! :party:

Oh! But are you talikng about the post where Robert talks about the fonts? Now I'm completely lost :lol:
Last edited by quintosardo on Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

@jbarish: I hope you’re talking about some comments from another forum, because here, (Robert R) was only talking about the font.

Anyway, IMHO it sounds fantastic, and is a steal at the current price. :tu:

Oh, ok, so I'm not wrong! :lol:

Apparently only owners of Disto-S are allowed to comment here.
How very benevolent of you.

jbarish wrote:
Robert Randolph wrote:
quintosardo wrote:Looks like somebody has never seen the fonts on a real Distress, here :lol:

You're welcome ;)
I own a real distressor, and the font kerning and weight in Disto-S aren't correct at the very least.

I'm not sure what your point is here.

You're not the only one, Robert. Posts on GS say the attack and release on Disto-S aren't quite right.
Since there's no demo to try, I guess I'll have to wait until I hear that's been fixed :(

Yes, the timing of that font is really weird, expecially on transient-heavy material - I'm pretty sure that's what Robert was referring to...
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

KVR is known for comments on GUIs when other skills aren't available for the user in question. :hihi:

But, please, not that I doubt anyone's capabilities here. Honestly: I don't. :tu:

Just referring to the usual suspects that will show up sooner or later...

Yeah, I was talking about the font.

I'm still experimenting with the plugin. I don't want to say anything yet.

I'm not one who particularly values things replicating hardware. I'm mostly curious if Disto-S sounds good on its own.

If you want a near perfect Distressor emulation then FG-Stress is definitely the winner, but I'm not sure that should be the goal.

I don't have access to Disto-S, nor am I going to purchase a license just to find out, but past history has shown time and time again that what SKnote things is "spot on emulation" of something is perhaps in the ear of the beholder.

The complete lack of direct hardware vs software comparisons on a multitude of material/sources is another red flag (one that Slate tackled quite nicely I might add).

Having said that, I agree with Robert on this one. It's not at all the most important thing if Disto-S sounds just like a distressor. Does it sound good is the only relevant measure at this point in time.. sadly without any way to demo, I will never know for sure (nor do I really care).
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

I'm kind of drooling over it here. If I can spend $50 and get CLOSE to my once-beloved Distressor (had to sell mine after some hard times), that may be good enough.

bmanic wrote:Does it sound good is the only relevant measure at this point in time.. sadly without any way to demo, I will never know for sure (nor do I really care).
From SKnote Terms of service:

If, for any reason, you are not satisfied with a product, send an email within seven days from purchase, asking for refund.

:tu:
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

Return to “Effects”