Viz by Echobit: Live Performance Music Visualization

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Good to know. Thanks!
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

I was wandering if anyone has loaded there own video or image into Viz yet? I have tried with no luck to place a JPEG image into the texture folder but nothing shows up in the program.I have tried the import option but even though the window says choose a movie or image to open, the only format it shows to choose from is Frag and not JPEG MP4 or whatever.I am completely new to this type of software, sorry if this sounds like a silly question!I am using windows and Reaper as my DAW.Any help would be appreciated .

Sooo I know this thread is basically dead, but are there any new features that have been added (updates etc.)? I'm also looking for some decent capture software (preferably free) for cheap to help with figuring out some cool live use scenarios. I'm gonna go out on your for a while as soon as the covid situation allows for shows. I'd be having a standalone rig to run lights and video along with a combo DJ and Maschine rig. So has the plugin or the standalone been updated at all since the official release?

i dont believe its been updated. i use sharex to capture it, works pretty well and is free.
Anyway, viz is basically an opengl renderer, theres not really much that one couldnt do with the proper knowledge. Apparently, its not really geared towards the novice programmer anyway. :shrug:

I figured out lots of fun tricks and can do some nifty stuff. I wanted to find out if there are bits of code that can jump to certain parts of a video file or play video backwards etc. These seem like the sorts of things you could do, but I haven't found documentation for it via Echobit or any glsl resources. I've learned lots about rendering in general, I just want to know if there are any data i can extract from the host program.

hmm, beyond the patameter hooks, i dunno. You should be able to load geometry and whatnot through glsl, so you could probably repurpose those hooks in some way, but i dont think there is a way to pass unrelated data to viz from what its already set up for.

btw, those hooks can be setup to automate playback. Basically, you just treat individual shaders as scenes, and automate playing them with your DAW. Going much beyond that would probably have to be done in the shader.

I (for instance) can't force a video to start/ stop along with the transport and since most shaders aren't set up to integrate in this way, the goal community doesn't really have any info that I could find. I also don't know if when running a video into the shader there is any access to a frame position in the video or anything like that. According to echobit they've suspended work on the PC version so it may all be moot, but I'd still love to integrate this into a live show.

Hmm, that's a bummer about Viz, though I expect they didn't sell a ton of lic's. 
Regarding the playing of videos on cue, that's unfortunately a pretty complicated
subject. However, you should be able to call different shaders via the timeline,
in that sense you should be able to switch between videos on cue. Unfortunately,
things like frame numbers and start/stop positions would require that the shader
be aware of the specific format and able to retrieve that data as pre-defined parameters.
That does not mean that you can't do it, typically with animation, you would be
able to retrieve the equivalent via counting or referring to animations range, e.g.
0% is the start 100% is the end, etc. You might access specific frames via counting
with an iterated loop of some sort. e.g. for (i = 0; i= <100; i++) or whatever.
Sadly as I said it's a complicated subject and going much deeper into it is going
to be way beyond the context of this thread. 

Anyway, most possibilities are going to exist in any procedural system, though
figuring them out depends primarily on your ingenuity and ability to use it.

tbh: You would probably save yourself a ton of hassle by acquiring something like
the Hypno from Sleepy Circuits or similar.

https://sleepycircuits.com/hypno

Thanks for the help anyway. It gives me a couple ideas. I'll also check out hypno. I've just been trying to work out some visual accompaniment for live shows. Even as it is now I can do plenty of cool stuff with Viz and the bit of info you gave me is enough to probably get me a bit closer to what I want.

Peace
JJ

i bought this, doesn't work, can't get a refund, company is silent.
f**k them

Ploki wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:07 am i bought this, doesn't work, can't get a refund, company is silent.
f**k them
Hmm, well that sucks. Care to explain a little? maybe I can help. It has always worked
for me. It's definitely not for everyone. Anyway, aside from any refund, IME those guys
will help you if they can. Half of them are one of the Unfiltered Audio guys, or at least they
were when it was released. I find it hard to believe they would just ignore you. :shrug:

So, if anyone is reading this thread and wondering wtf they would want to use Viz. You can head
over to https://www.shadertoy.com/. Have a look through the gallery, you'll see that everything
in there is rendered in real time, and mostly procedurally generated. E.g. you often don't need to
load geometry or texture files, you can generate that on the fly with the code only.

Ok so once you've had a look, you can then realize that you can render exactly the same scenes
in Viz, and modulate them with your audio, right inside your DAW.
You want to have a realistic ocean scene where the waves are modulated by your music?
Absolutely you can do that with Viz in real time 3D.

The caveat is that you need at least a basic understanding of programming even to port stuff from
shadertoy to Viz and be able to connect all your modulators to some appropriate parameters in
the shader. I'm actually only using shadertoy, as an example, any glsl code can be made to work.
Last edited by pekbro on Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

It's partially my fault - i bought it during black friday sale, and then bought an M1 two weeks later.
It's the only plugin that didn't make the transition

standalone still works but it's a pain in the ass to route. wrote them a couple of times, fb, mail, but they never responded.

i didn't use it at all but it's a fun toy to have so too bad

Return to “Effects”