Shoud I Upgrade To High Sierra?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I did make this fearful leap into a new OS, and it has caused no problems for my Logic, Native Instruments, and Soundiron software. The only problem I had was that NI's Guitar Rig 5 crashed in the Logic AU validation process. It was easily fixed by opening Guitar Rig 5 in stand-alone mode and then having Logic's AU manager rescan and validate it.

IRBY wrote:I was wondering if anyone has run into compatibility problems with High Sierra. Is it too soon to update? Thoughts?

Thanks.
I think the question you should be asking is "Does High Sierra bring anything to my Mac that I am currently missing?"

For my money, it looks like a fairly meh kind of update...

Photos
Safari
Mail
Facetime
emojis
Siri

These are the things that Apple seem to be highlighting, none of which are remotely important to me...in fact, with updates like this, my resolve to switch back to Windows gets stronger every day. I don't feel I'm losing out by retiring Logic, I've more than got my money's worth out of it, and with Live, Cubase and Reason on board, I'm happy enough to move on.

Only change i have notuced in High Sierra is Maschine loads slowly the first time you run it after booting the computer fresh, after that it loads slightly faster than it did in Sierra.

Fear mongering about updating because of some poor update years ago and then claiming Apple will 'Charge' you more is complete BS.

Apple are a complete bunch of ***** and there is no denying that at all, anybody can list various reasons, but updates is no where near as intrusive as those ***** at Microsoft.

This year i have had more issues with forced Windows updates disabling hardware than anything else in the studio.
Duh

One of the main problems with High Sierra is caused by the new file system APFS that can mess with some important folders ("Audio Music Apps" for example). This should be a concern if you decide to upgrade to High Sierra instead of a fresh install, especially if you had Logic Pro 9 installed previously. Some of the problems with Logic, Main Stage, or Garageband are: the daw crashes when trying to scan a new plugin, or channel strips and templates can’t be saved or loaded.

We have written a small guide to help fix this particular issue: https://www.audiothing.net/faq/#pluginhighsierra

Other than that, I've been testing High Sierra as a developer (not much time to do music anymore, unfortunately) and it looks quite stable running multiple DAWs for intensive plugin testing.
AudioThing (VST, AU, AAX, CLAP Plugins)
Instagram | Twitter | Discord Server

Return to “Effects”