Why is Slate Digital hated?

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Effects discussion
Caine123
KVRAF
6254 posts since 5 Aug, 2009

Post Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:12 pm

I got my first slate vst VTC this bf cause i somehow like the sound and gui and it was cheap. But i always remembered how i read how awesome his plugins are. Lately i read more bad stuff and even hate and im worried cause i got a plugin from them now.

I hope not to have made a mistakr cause i also am mayve interested in fg-stress.
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

SeeingInMidi
KVRist
439 posts since 2 Aug, 2013

Re: Why is Slate Digital hated?

Post Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:17 pm

I don't hate the plugins, not at all. But Steven Slate does come off as a bit cringy. I do see some hate for Slate VBC because there isn't an option to disable the noise floor.

Googly Smythe
KVRAF
2878 posts since 12 May, 2011 from Albion

Post Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:37 pm

Marketing rhetoric and subscription.
And why do you care what others think about Slate? Do you like them? That's all that matters in this context.
Bandcamp - Soundcloud
What is life without a little whimsy?

AegisPrime
KVRist
196 posts since 12 Sep, 2015 from The Fortesque Mansion

Post Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:53 pm

I wouldn't necessarily say he's 'hated' - more that he's a polarizing figure.

Some people love Slate since the Virtual Mix Rack offers great value for those happy with subscribing - the plugins themselves are almost all very well done and they're backed up by lots of training materials/demos.

On the flip side:

1) Not everyone is comfortable with the subscription model and it's not difficult to see a future where *everything* you use is subscription-only and the minute you stop paying you lose it all.

2) Slate are hold-outs for the hardware iLok which annoys many people - if you go all-in on Slate's products you get one for free but if you just want to buy a few plugins or subscribe on a monthly basis then you have to buy your own. It's time Slate offered a software iLok option.

3) He has a habit of announcing products way before they're ready for release and building up considerable hype which then turns to disappointment/anger many months later when the product still hasn't been finished.

4) For those that'd be interested in purchasing just one or two plugins, Slate doesn't make it easy - they're at the high-end price-wise, saddled with VMR which if you're not a subscriber looks like a glorified shop-front and require the aforementioned hardware iLok - essentially they're saying they don't want you buying the odd plug-in here and there - either subscribe or go away.

5) Slate himself is a Jobsian figure appealing to a cultish fanbase that some people find distasteful and others are totally on board with.

None of this really matters though - if Slate's products work for you then that's the most important thing.

Rockatansky
KVRist
357 posts since 3 Jun, 2017

Post Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:56 pm

Googly Smythe wrote:why do you care what others think about Slate? Do you like them? That's all that matters in this context.
/forum

To be fair, the OP asked why Slate's plugins are hated, not if they are any good.

I have most of them, but I hardly ever use them. Mainly because I don't want to insert a damn "mix rack" instance with several slots just to load a single compressor. Pain in ze bum.

I agree about the marketing rhetoric, everything is praised as the messiah and how could humanity progress for so long without it, but then there's Melda where everything is the best and most flexible and most revoultionary EVER. So... well, it's just marketing. Guys trained to get your money doing what they were trained to do. Doesn't really influence my purchasing decision.

Oh, and then there's the flood of apologetic emails, or should I say novels, that he sent around when something didn't work out as expected. Literally every week, there'd be another Slate Short Story Of The Week to read, explaining how they're doing their best and everybody's working hard and it just takes longer than expected and they were hoping to have it out now but it'll take another week or month, blah blah blah.

What puts me off a lot more recently is the amount of fanbois and how they campaign that nothing nowadays can sound any good without VBC and VTM templated onto every channel. I don't want to be part of that scene.
Confucamus.

Caine123
KVRAF
6254 posts since 5 Aug, 2009

Post Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:04 am

Thx guys. The most important aspect is also gor me the support. Only hardware ilok sucks really... if slate digital however is like soundtoys etc and care for their users then im happy if not im careful.
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

ghettosynth
KVRAF
12078 posts since 13 Oct, 2009

Post Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:53 am

Caine123 wrote:Thx guys. The most important aspect is also gor me the support. Only hardware ilok sucks really... if slate digital however is like soundtoys etc and care for their users then im happy if not im careful.

FWIW, at least one user here has had a negative experience with their support and it's documented in the bargains discussion thread.

Daimonicon
KVRian
1025 posts since 30 Aug, 2012 from Sweden

Post Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:44 am

Caine123 wrote:I got my first slate vst VTC this bf cause i somehow like the sound and gui and it was cheap. But i always remembered how i read how awesome his plugins are. Lately i read more bad stuff and even hate and im worried cause i got a plugin from them now.

I hope not to have made a mistakr cause i also am mayve interested in fg-stress.
If you purchase fg-stress you will make a misstake. So many have asked for an update since it came out a long time ago since it's buggy and Slate promised it will be updated but has anything happened? No! Instead he releases plugin after plugin. He's not interested in updates. He just want to release new ones. Simply, he doesn't give a dime about the users. If you go to the site you have to look hard to find to purchase a plugin. He doesn't care about that either. He want to force everyone to get the supscription instead of purchasing. He want to dictate the user in every way. I will never purchase a plugin from that man again. :evil: If you don't care about me why the hell would I care about you and fill your wallet?

VariKusBrainZ
KVRAF
9023 posts since 16 Dec, 2002

Post Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:48 am

Get Sknote Disto instead of Stress and save yourself alot of money

topaz
KVRAF
4489 posts since 15 Jul, 2001 from Holmfirth, West Yorkshire, U.K

Post Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:29 am

I refuse to use their products because they are bug deniers.

I won't waste my time with companies that refuse to acknowledge recreatable bugs.

c0nan
KVRist
56 posts since 6 Sep, 2015

Post Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:18 am

I´m not (yet) a Slate customer, but:
AegisPrime wrote: if you just want to buy a few plugins or subscribe on a monthly basis then you have to buy your own. It's time Slate offered a software iLok option.
That´s not true. You get the iLok also with a month-to-month-subscription. As far as I know they even got rid of the 2 month minimum. I just looked in their shop: They offer every single plugin (to purchase) with an optional iLok for add. 20 bucks. Great offer imo.
I would agree with the soft iLok, but everything that´s not hardware dongled is cracked and just one click away, so I see why vendors are taking that route.
AegisPrime wrote:3) He has a habit of announcing products way before they're ready for release and building up considerable hype which then turns to disappointment/anger many months later when the product still hasn't been finished.
Does this happen regularly? I just witnessed that with Stress 2 and in this specific case I agree: announcements 2 years before release is not the best strategy :D
Caine123 wrote:Thx guys. The most important aspect is also gor me the support. Only hardware ilok sucks really... if slate digital however is like soundtoys etc and care for their users then im happy if not im careful.
He is very active on gearslutz. So if support doesn´t work for whatever reason you should get an answer there pretty fast.
Daimonicon wrote: If you purchase fg-stress you will make a misstake. So many have asked for an update since it came out a long time ago since it's buggy and Slate promised it will be updated but has anything happened?
I think OP refers to Stress 2 which came out recently.
Daimonicon wrote:If you go to the site you have to look hard to find to purchase a plugin. He doesn't care about that either. He want to force everyone to get the supscription instead of purchasing. He want to dictate the user in every way.
Sorry, that´s just plain bullshit. Go to their site, click "shop" and the plugin you´re interested in. You´ll see 3 options with subscription being the last one. You have options to choose from, how is that "dictating the user in every way"?
If you don´t like them - cool. Understandable if you had a bad experience with one of their plugs. It´s good to let people know about things gone wrong. But lying is not the way to go. Why make life harder for everyone?
Last edited by c0nan on Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Robmobius
KVRAF
3518 posts since 10 Sep, 2010 from A shit hole (Ireland).

Post Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:20 am

I was a huuuuuuge Slate fan.

I think the plugins sound great and I have most of the stuff that was released. I'm fine with the ilok and I'm also okay with VMR. But I've not used their plugins since they went over to subscription (or shortly after I should say).

I turned my back on them when they turned their back on us. By us, I mean people who purchased their plugins from the get-go. Then they had the bright idea to go with their sub model. At first, I was fine with this... Because people now had two options to get their hands on everything. Everyone's happy, right?

However, it didn't take me long (and a lot of other people) to see that Steve really wanted everyone to sub. People may recall some of his spiel about how buying licenses was 'stupid' and that all plugins lost they second-hand resale value, meaning they were worthless to own (of course this makes no sense look at Fab Filter, DMG to name a couple). Some of his 'figures' did quite match up either... A number of us on GS called him on some of the 'facts' he'd presented. We also made a fair case for, what would be the point of subscribing if you had everything they'd released. The deal for us didn't exactly seem all that great after such an investment.

Steve did say you could still buy the plugins of course, but in my opinion, that's not what Slate really wanted. They wanted everyone to go sub. 'Coincidently' they dropped all their intro prices for their plugins (which they originally always had). That pissed a lot of us off too and that was another big push to try and sell us the sub model again (IMO) - No thanks!

Anyway, long story short they lost a certain number of their original customers who simply just wanted to continue to 'buy' their plugins (the heretics!) and didn't want to be criticized for doing so. However, it's their company and they can do what they want... But as buyers we've got plenty of options as well these days.

That said, there was a glimmer of hope recently... They sold their new VTC for $49 on black Friday this was billed, on their facebook page, as giving something back to the people who buy licenses.

'Some of our loyal customers who have purchased a lot of our software but are not everything bundle users have been sent a custom Black Friday deal that is not publicly available!'

So is this an indication that Slate could be looking to get back a few of the old guard? Only time will tell... But I remain skaptikal as always.
“Human decency is not derived from religion. It precedes it.”
― Christopher Hitchens

skipscada
KVRian
1473 posts since 22 Oct, 2004 from Schmocation

Post Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:47 am

This guy threw a hissy fit over at gearslutz because Sound on Sound didn't give them the right kind of praise and dared to use their own perfectly reasonable criteria in their review of the Slate Digital Virtual Microphone System. It doesn't have anything to do with the products, but a problematic online persona can be bad PR (assuming there is such a thing).
Last edited by skipscada on Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Googly Smythe
KVRAF

Post Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:59 am

Rockatansky wrote:
Googly Smythe wrote:why do you care what others think about Slate? Do you like them? That's all that matters in this context.
/forum
To be fair, the OP asked why Slate's plugins are hated, not if they are any good.
This is why I used the word "like", as in opposite of "hate". I didn't mention quality.
The op also wrote this:
Caine123 wrote:...Lately i read more bad stuff and even hate and im worried cause i got a plugin from them now...
Why worry if anyone hates them? If you like 'em use 'em! :tu:
Bandcamp - Soundcloud

Googly Smythe
KVRAF

Post Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:01 am

Regarding subscriptions, I should think that what happened to Cakewalk would give most people cause for thought.
Bandcamp - Soundcloud

Return to “Effects”