[Version 1.1.2] Shattered Glass Audio Inferno - Saturation and Distortion Plug-in

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Inferno

Inferno is is designed to emulate seven classic, vintage, tube and transistor circuits. Each emulated circuit in Inferno, other than having the hardware counterpart held in high regard, offers something unique, such as different active components, circuit topology, etc. Each circuit in Inferno can be used to add different character, color, warmth, and distortion to your tracks and mixes. Such a wide variety of saturation choices makes Inferno suitable for use on any kind of track and instrument in your mix regardless of genre. To achieve the most authentic analog sound and feel of each emulated circuit, Inferno uses high-fidelity models based on the full circuit simulation of each hardware component.
You can download Inferno at http://www.shatteredglassaudio.com/product.php?id=109
Demo limitations are:
  • Audio fades out briefly every 45 seconds.
  • Demo cannot save presets
Introductory price until Dec. 26, 2017 is $24.99. After the introductory period, the regular price will be $49.99

Version 1.0.3 most notably adds AAX support and brings performance improvements and minor bug fixes.

Version 1.0.4
Bug fixes including AU version's GUI not showing up in Live for some users.

Version 1.1.0
  • Added two transistor circuits.
  • By popular demand we have changed the default AUTO setting to off (i.e. now you have to explicitly enable agc)
Version 1.1.2 brings much improved auto gain control based on RMS values. Auto gain control is back to being on by default.
Last edited by SGA on Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:12 pm, edited 15 times in total.

Not loading in StudioOne3

We’re looking into that.

Wet/Dry and AGC make me :D

Look forward to trying it later!

Gave it a spin and I cannot hear the differences between the 5 modes. Is there a manual that explains it? Will have to test it more later, so far so good.

camsr wrote:Gave it a spin and I cannot hear the differences between the 5 modes. Is there a manual that explains it? Will have to test it more later, so far so good.
Manual is here - http://www.shatteredglassaudio.com/manuals/Inferno.pdf

Running a sine tone through Inferno reveals a different set of harmonics for each - with the UAP model appearing to be the cleanest. I liked the subtle warming effect that model had on my master bus :)

andymcbain wrote:
camsr wrote:Gave it a spin and I cannot hear the differences between the 5 modes. Is there a manual that explains it? Will have to test it more later, so far so good.

Running a sine tone through Inferno reveals a different set of harmonics for each model - with the UAP appearing to be the cleanest. I liked the subtle warming effect that model had on my master bus :)

So weird, I visited the website yesterday to check for anything new and there was nothing!

I got this without testing as I love the other stuff.

This is alot more sublte
Amazon: why not use an alternative

Yeah, i think Inferno was a bit of an ambitious name to be honest.i was fully expecting raucous distortion tones like you get from cranking the shit out of a good solid state pre but this doesn't sound that special to me and it doesn't sound too good when set to "inferno"like settings,you get some hard clipping which doesn't have much of a form or ebb and flow to it and despite it being an accurate circuit model or not,the transients sound and behave digital IMO.compare to the recently released Overloud Gem Sculptube(just bought it) or BRA's VPR73 (neither of which use as much CPU either) and it really is night and day with the transients and sustain of the clipping.different circuits i know but i always think that is a futile argument anyway to gauge if something sounds close to analog or not.all analog regardless of circuit exhibits similar sound properties which can be distinctly set apart from digital. i think sadly in my own opinion this doesn't exhibit any of the sound properties i would consider to be analog.i mean i could always use it subtly,but then it doesn't really sound much different to the other 1000 or so plugins that attempt to do the same sort of thing and can only handle subtle despite claims to the contrary(no actual claims made but the bold naming would suggest that it's capable of more than subtle :D ).

Just my honest 2pence
I

It certainly could do with a wider range to really dig into the distortion, but when pushed into “inferno” it sounds glorious. It’s putting some of my most expensive plugins to shame! I used it on a fairly hot Guitar earlier with a low pass at 6k and I ended up with a fantastic fuzzyish lead tone :party: .

VariKusBrainZ wrote:This is alot more sublte
You are correct. Also, the weaker the input signal the more subtle the differences. This is, actually, expected behaviour because the weaker the input ac signal the more linearly active devices (tubes and transistors) behave. This results in fewer and also weaker harmonics being produced by each circuit, thus making them sound more alike. Hope this makes sense. All of this is compounded by the fact that emulated circuits have very flat frequency response. Making them sound more alike. Notable exceptions are SGA-351 that has a slight boost in the lower bass, and SGA-BA2C that has a bit of a boost in the treble region.
If you really want to hear the differences between different circuits you may need to push Inferno hard(er). The noticeable overdrive starts for the input signal around -3dBFS.
Also, depending on the material the differences are more or less obvious. We like SGA-351 on the kick, SGA-BA2C on vocals, hats, rides, SGA-BA11A on synth and regular bass for added punch, also makes clean electric guitar stand out, SGA-B105 and SGA-UAP are the least intrusive clean and good for adding some analog warmth to the whole mix but they become real beasts when driven hard approaching some serous fuzz territory.
Hope this at least gives you a starting point for experimentation. We got some really awesome sounds with a 909 kick going first into a clean, but pushed, Inferno with SGA-351 to get that chest thumping kick, and then put through a distorted Inferno with SGA-BA11A with the mix knob rolled back until you can just about hear the distortion (small speakers mix).

kaner wrote:Not loading in StudioOne3
Below are images of Inferno (VST2 and VST3) running in Studio One 3 on Win10 x64
vst2.jpg
vst3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

andymcbain wrote:

Running a sine tone through Inferno reveals a different set of harmonics for each - with the UAP model appearing to be the cleanest. I liked the subtle warming effect that model had on my master bus :)
Thanks. Once I started feeding it 909s the sound became more obvious!
I like it, I like analog grunge and tweaking gain for tone, but it is a subtle sound for the most part and what I didn't like was how it seems to break up very fast when driven too hard. I very much dislike hard clipping-ish tone for some reason. That clipping can quickly overpower the character of the different modes. I suppose preceding Inferno with a compressor is a good idea to control the max distortion.

camsr wrote:Thanks. Once I started feeding it 909s the sound became more obvious!
I like it, I like analog grunge and tweaking gain for tone, but it is a subtle sound for the most part and what I didn't like was how it seems to break up very fast when driven too hard. I very much dislike hard clipping-ish tone for some reason. That clipping can quickly overpower the character of the different modes. I suppose preceding Inferno with a compressor is a good idea to control the max distortion.
Thanks for trying Inferno. We appreciate your feedback.
camsr wrote:..what I didn't like was how it seems to break up very fast when driven too hard.
Would a more fine grained control of the input gain (i.e. Drive) solve your problem? We could add, in a future version, a text field for inputing the Drive value, or something like that. That will allow for a more controllable input gain. However, driving a model too hard will make it distort hard. That is unavoidable.

I remember the SGA tube amp plugins to be quite high on cpu usage (although sounding pretty good :) ), How is that with this one?
No band limits, aliasing is the noise of freedom!

Return to “Effects”