Toneboosters Barricade v4

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

My best "sound" purchase. I can't pretend to understand how it works, but it somehow magically knows how to push everything out so precisely and tightly, kicking out any muddiness. I did spend a lot of time demoing different "limiters," and for the money, this one just really stood out. Of course, my wife or anyone else who might hear my music would not be able to tell the difference between Barricade or Presswerk, PSP Vintage Warmer or the stock limiters in Logic, but...isn't that what most of the forum is about? Pleasing our discerning ears, as we listen for that slightest bit of "change" that takes us closer to perfection? There are a few other Tonebooster plugins that look interesting, as well, and I look forward to demoing those.

Have almost 100 compressors, but never got on with many limiter plugins. Elephant was the first I bought. Pro-L eventually replaced it as my master bus limiter. However, I picked up Barricade 4 earlier this year. Found myself using BarricadeCM a lot (over CPU hungry limiters) for individual tracks, so I naturally demoed v4. I had to have it.

To be frank, Barricade is the reason I'm not in a hurry to upgrade to Pro-L 2. I'm reaching for Barricade over Pro-L in evermore projects. Glad to have found such an inexpensive alternative. Not that cost was even a factor; it was my first choice out of half dozen "latest and greatest". The pricing is simply the cherry on top of the icing on the cake.

I'm a fan. Great plugin, great developer :tu:

Barricade CM is at the end of my default track chain.

It just works. V clean.

Ventured out to try Venemode Maximal full version after liking the CM version.

Characterful when pushed hard, so gives an option to Barricade.

Keep thinking of getting Barricade full on version, but the CM version is so good.
Member 12, Studio One v6.5, VPS Avenger, Kontakt 7, Spitfire, Dune, Arturia, Sonible, Baby Audio, CableGuys, Nektar Panorama P1, Vaporizer 2 to test out

Barricade is awesome and very underestimated. I like it more than most popular much more expensive alternatives. For example I don't like what Pro-L is doing at all.
If not at home then I'm working with different limiters like iZotope Ozone, Pro-L etc and I don't feel need to get any of these to my home studio because there's simply no reason to do that when I have Barricade.
But I'm not pushing limiter too hard, max. 2-3dB on very fast peaks so I don't have need for a limiter which sound good while constant limiting 5dB or more. Maybe it's where Ozone shine (Pro-L definitely not).
Barricade v4 have compressor+brickwall limiter (I use only limiter) + input modeler which include saturators and clippers (soft/hard) which is also very very useful + true peak mode + visual view. If you enjoy CM version then you'll love full version :)

Totally love Barricade V4. Never looked anywhere else after the purchase.

Have been through a half dozen limiters on my musical journey, found Barricade CM when they released it with Computer Music magazine, and used it on several tracks before being lured away by something else. Recently though, I still felt I wasn't getting the kind of transparency I wanted and downloaded a demo of Barricade v4. Yeah--it's exactly what I was looking for. I think it's improved over the CM version too and fairly inexpensive.

I agree that Toneboosters Barricade v4 is a 'sound' purchase. It has a great sound and the newest edition has a nice gui. I have found that I really like it as a track and buss limiter. I have other preferences for 2 buss/mastering but for mixing and sub groups it works better (for me) than my TC brick wall or Xenon. Both of which I like, but more for mastering duties rather than tracks and mixing.

I use Cubase so I would have appreciated their bus essential package moving to vst3. Because they are vst2 and side chaining is difficult with that format in Cubase, I haven't invested in their other products yet.

My go to.
Is materialism devouring your musical output? :ud:

To not start another thread, Ill ask in here.

TB Barricade4 has an option to Side-chain on vst3 but not really able to figure out how. I'm on Bitwig if that matters any. Has anyone successfully side chains with this plugin? I love this limiter but recently read up on using the kick to side chain on the master bus, so wanted to give that a try and see how it turns out, but can't figure it out. Thanks!

pixel85 wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:07 pm ...
Barricade v4 have compressor+brickwall limiter (I use only limiter) + input modeler which include saturators and clippers (soft/hard) which is also very very useful + true peak mode + visual view. If you enjoy CM version then you'll love full version :)
Just looking at the CM youtube tutorial, I found the CM version also has two stages 1) Limiter/compressor and 2) Peak limiter.

I was wondering why there was the attack control and why it wasn`t responding as expected, i.e. peaks getting through on longer attack times, if it had just been one process.. :)

A label under the attack/ release controls like 'pre-limiter' could have been helpful. :ud:

Anyhow, a great little limiter for the price!

mentioned around 4.44s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49sTFbu ... u.be&t=283

4tune wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:10 am
pixel85 wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:07 pm ...
Just looking at the CM youtube tutorial, I found the CM version also has two stages 1) Limiter/compressor and 2) Peak limiter.

I was wondering why there was the attack control and why it wasn`t responding as expected, i.e. peaks getting through on longer attack times, if it had just been one process.. :)

A label under the attack/ release controls like 'pre-limiter' could have been helpful. :ud:

Anyhow, a great little limiter for the price!

mentioned around 4.44s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49sTFbu ... u.be&t=283
Ha! I thought that Attack Release was for Limiter :)

It is for the limiter - the first one. The second one is meant to catch every peak that manages to pass through the first stage, hence the lookahead and hence no attack. You control how much it catches by adjusting the output ceiling instead. Set it high enough and you basically end up with only the first stage. In this case attack should behave as expected.

V4 greatly enhances the concept. This thread is actually about V4 b.t.w. . The CM version is based on V3, so this thread is not really the right one to discuss is. It's off topic. There are threads about V3/CM.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

It's not easy to understand like other compressors or limited. Downfall sorry

It is ridiculously easy to understand and i would say even more so when you compare like for like, consider it as three plugins.
Saturator into a compressor into a Limiter, quite probably one of the best plugins i have ever bought, and i am not a dynamics collector like some, for years i only used 1176 and LA.
Duh

bungle wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:27 pm It is ridiculously easy to understand and i would say even more so when you compare like for like, consider it as three plugins.
Saturator into a compressor into a Limiter, quite probably one of the best plugins i have ever bought, and i am not a dynamics collector like some, for years i only used 1176 and LA.
Im still wondering if there is a compressor out there as good as this thing. The clipping into compression into limiting is ridiculously dope.

Been thinking of picking up Klanghelm MJUC as Ive heard nothing but good things about it, but Barricade4 is so easy to understand do to the amazing UI, so not sure I would use MJUC much. One thing I like about Barricade4 is how the compressor attack and release times are in milliseconds and you can visually see all the readouts. Helped me tons when learning about attack and release times.
Last edited by Butwug on Sun May 05, 2019 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Effects”