PaulXStretch plugin (1.2.4, February 26th 2019)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
PaulXStretch

ShogunOfHarlem wrote:imported files seem to loop by default, which is fine in a lot of cases, but is it possible to turn this off?
Not currently. :? I can probably add a parameter to toggle the looping in a future version. (That does however bring up some additional issues like how to handle the playback start/reset with the standalone application build and in hosts that don't have a clearly defined transport mechanism.)

Gotcha, thanks. Great stuff either way. ;)

ShogunOfHarlem wrote:Gotcha, thanks. Great stuff either way. ;)
I added the looping enable parameter today which was easy but I think some additional logic and options are needed in addition. (Like for example if the host transport is stopped and restarted, it should probably rewind to the beginning of the selected time range etc...)

Xenakios wrote:
ShogunOfHarlem wrote:Gotcha, thanks. Great stuff either way. ;)
Like for example if the host transport is stopped and restarted, it should probably rewind to the beginning of the selected time range etc...

I am actually thrilled to hear this, as my only other minor complaint (if you can even call it that) is that the buffered audio from the end of a loop always plays over the beginning of said loop as it retriggers (even with the buffer set to zero), making it so that once the loop has repeated the first time, you'll essentially never hear the clean beginning of the loop again. Even if I stop or pause playback and move the play head to the beginning, there seems to be a second or so of audio queued up from wherever I last had the play head. (Or is this just operator error? hmm...)

Again, all that is ace if you're looking for a continuous loop w/ beginning and end points that bleed into each other, but there are times when I want a longer file to just play through once. It'd be great for sound design in film & tv, which is what I'm aiming to use it for.

By the way - I'm running it via Blue Cat Patchwork in Pro Tools 12.4 (on PC) and it's running pretty well. I get the odd audio dropout where even a newly imported file won't play, but a quick removal/re add of the plugin seems to fix that.

Cheers ;)

Yeah, there are unfortunately various problems with the audio not being flushed correctly etc but I think I now understand some of the issues involved. The next build will fix at least the changing of the audio file taking a very long time to come into effect when the FFT size and the time stretch amount are fairly large.

The dropout issues are annoying but hard to fix because the plugin hardly ever dropouts for me on my systems. (Relatively old Intel i7 based computers.) But I will keep trying to make it better...

Xenakios wrote:Yeah, there are unfortunately various problems with the audio not being flushed correctly etc but I think I now understand some of the issues involved. The next build will fix at least the changing of the audio file taking a very long time to come into effect when the FFT size and the time stretch amount are fairly large.

The dropout issues are annoying but hard to fix because the plugin hardly ever dropouts for me on my systems. (Relatively old Intel i7 based computers.) But I will keep trying to make it better...

Anything I can do to help, just PM me.

Bump for 1.2.1.

-Added looping enabled parameter
-Added GUI button and parameter to rewind to beginning of selected play range
-Flush old stretched audio faster when source audio is changed
-Fix play range not being recalled properly when loading host project

thanks a lot, that's really impressive, congratulations !

I have a ( surely dumb) question :
is it actually possible to use it as a send Fx? I'm trying to earing just the stretch sound but as soon I'm using the Capture function, the dry sound pass through the plugin. It could be very useful to be able to mute the input during capture.

May I suggest a feature ?
It could be great to have the possibility to define the Capture buffer length with the capture function. For exemple , when you stop to capture, the length could be only the duration of the sound, it can avoid the silence after the sound until the end of buffer length.
Another useful setting could be the possibility to "auto stop " the capture at the end of the buffer size.

thanks again for your work !
Last edited by damstraversaz on Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

damstraversaz wrote: is it actually possible to use it as a send Fx? I'm trying to earing just the stretch sound but as soon I'm using the Capture function, the dry sound pass through the plugin. It could be very useful to be able to mute the input during capture.

May I suggest a feature ?
It could be great to have the possibility to define the Capture buffer length with the capture function. For exemple , when you stop to capture, the length could be only the duration of the sound, it can avoid the silence after the sound until the end of buffer length.
Another useful setting could be the possibility to "auto stop " the capture at the end of the buffer size.

thanks again for your work !
There's no option yet to mute during capture. That should be relatively easy to add.

Making the capture length dynamic is somewhat tricky but I will see if it can be implemented without things getting too messy with the current code.

great ! thanks a lot .
this function could add a sort of "continuous dronar machine" to the plug, I tried with some various sounds ( voices, string quartet, marimba) with a buffer length of 2s and a stretch amount of 100 and the sound was incredible ( unfortunatly killed by the dry sound in the middle when you use the capture). The timbre of each instruments evolve to the next with an amazing subtlety that I never ear before with the time related tools I know.

Way awesome! Thx a lot for the work!
Are you gonna update the stand-alone app at all? I find it easier to work with that.

amoksan wrote:Way awesome! Thx a lot for the work!
Are you gonna update the stand-alone app at all? I find it easier to work with that.
No, I don't think I am going to work further on that code base. (However, the plugin is also buildable as a stand alone app, and I will release that at some point.)

Xenakios wrote:However, the plugin is also buildable as a stand alone app, and I will release that at some point.
Great! :D

Xenakios wrote:Bump for 1.2.1.

-Added looping enabled parameter
-Added GUI button and parameter to rewind to beginning of selected play range
-Flush old stretched audio faster when source audio is changed
-Fix play range not being recalled properly when loading host project

Smashing, thanks. Can't wait to try it out. Much respect for all the work you put into this.

Bump for 1.2.2. Not a huge update, but at least something. Bigger things for 1.3.0, maybe...

-Add option to mute audio when capturing audio
-Automatically adjust play range after capturing to captured length
-Moved Free Filter parameters from the main parameters GUI to the Free Filter tab page

Return to “Effects”