MAAT DR Meter - copy protection is terrible

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

wut? linear phase EQ without pre-ringing? isn't it pretty much mathematically impossible?
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

mgw38 wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:59 pm
jbarish wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:36 pm MAAT doesn't care. They're swell that way.
It is a surprisingly weird bunch of people indeed. It is not only that their licensing is archaic, the troublesome part is that they are apparently convinced that this is the best thing since sliced bread.

Not sure how it works on Windows machines, but on a Mac the Wibu/Codemeter system is highly problematic. And that is coming from a person who absolutely loves iLok and does not even mind eLicenser. ;)

Wibu is ridiculously unusable and dangerously unstable. If you get issues with some of the software components there is a chance that even a reinstall does not help. I needed to go in, identify which container database files caused the licensing system to crash and delete them manually. Otherwise the system would not recognize the Ignitionkey anymore.
To me it seems that they don't have the ability to code to accommodate a newer, more widely used protection and aren't unwilling to pay someone to update it. Or they're just lazy and feel that since algorythmix plugs haven't been available, there's a demand for them that people will be willing to pay the same insane prices they once received. They're are really blowing the opportunity to reach a much wider market. The entire plugin market has changed drastically and they are clueless.

jbarish wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:19 pm
mgw38 wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:59 pm
jbarish wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:36 pm MAAT doesn't care. They're swell that way.
It is a surprisingly weird bunch of people indeed. It is not only that their licensing is archaic, the troublesome part is that they are apparently convinced that this is the best thing since sliced bread.

Not sure how it works on Windows machines, but on a Mac the Wibu/Codemeter system is highly problematic. And that is coming from a person who absolutely loves iLok and does not even mind eLicenser. ;)

Wibu is ridiculously unusable and dangerously unstable. If you get issues with some of the software components there is a chance that even a reinstall does not help. I needed to go in, identify which container database files caused the licensing system to crash and delete them manually. Otherwise the system would not recognize the Ignitionkey anymore.
To me it seems that they don't have the ability to code to accommodate a newer, more widely used protection and aren't unwilling to pay someone to update it. Or they're just lazy and feel that since algorythmix plugs haven't been available, there's a demand for them that people will be willing to pay the same insane prices they once received. They're are really blowing the opportunity to reach a much wider market. The entire plugin market has changed drastically and they are clueless.
I don't have a horse in this race and have never used MAAT products. There are some interesting points raised in this thread by CompyFox and others. FWIW I don't like dongles/intrusive C/P but have never had issues with Propellerheads' Codemeter implementation.

However one thing a lot of folks at KVR just don't get is that if you actually make a living using these tools (meaning you file taxes based on income as a producer/musician), price is only one consideration in a purchase. $800 for a plugin that does something unavailable elsewhere in software (like Linear Phase EQ with no pre-ringing) might help you offset income to reduce your taxes, and probably costs way less than comparable hardware if any exists.

And...Customer support load for 1 customer at $800/unit is way lower than ten $80 sales or a hundred $8 sales! Judging by the testimonials of Bob Katz and other mastering gurus on the Orange EQ page, they're not courting the "entitled cheapskate bargain-hunter" demographic that makes KVR such a...colorful...place. :hihi:

Whether or not that's a sustainable biz model or not in the current plugin marketplace, is another story entirely.

Winstontaneous wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:41 pm Judging by the testimonials of Bob Katz and other mastering gurus on the Orange EQ page, they're not courting the "entitled cheapskate bargain-hunter" demographic that makes KVR such a...colorful...place. :hihi:
These judgements are more than a decade old. Just saying...
Follow me on Youtube for videos on spatial and immersive audio production.

Burillo wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:54 pm wut? linear phase EQ without pre-ringing? isn't it pretty much mathematically impossible?
Yes. But you know, who's gonna test it? Don't know many having this code meter trash. :-D

Although it says without "audible" pre-ringing & echoing. Mabye they've just shifted to somewhere else or it's just too short too notice. I think they'd write any cryptic thing with margin of interpretation to justify the price. I wish someone could demo it with plugin doctor and vst analyzer to tell us more.

If it costed 300$ , and didn't require additional dongle (already have eLicenser and iLok) , the situation would probably be different. As it is you can't even demo it without the dongle.

The copy protection is no longer provided by WIBU/Codemeter. MAAT now have their own cloud-licensing system.

Return to “Effects”